Finally a new iPhone JailBreak is out

crockett

Just jailbroke mine. Came out a couple days ago. Took me 3 minutes.

So glad I can finally get rid of the annoying iOS firmware update harassment and notifications. So many tweaks that will make life much easier. For instance:

- BatteryPercentX shows the remaining battery level as a percentage instead of that tiny, inconclusive bar.

- EasySwitcherX brings back the one-swipe app kill. No more long press waiting bullshit to close apps. I almost crashed my truck once because of this Apple nonsense.

This JailBreak only works on iOS 11.2 to 11.3.1. If you upgraded to 11.4, you are dead in the water.

DISCLAIMER: It is still possible to brick (destroy) your iPhone when jail-breaking it. Do so at your own risk.

Edited by crockett

1 hour ago, Silentpoet said:

Um you know you can set the standard interface to show battery percentage.

Are you sure? Afaik on the iPhone X this isn't supported anymore because auf the new display surrounding the speaker. I don't have this setting in my iPhone X.

18 minutes ago, Eric said:

The only confirmed cases of iPhones being hacked that I have heard of  were on jailbroken phones. 

That very well increases the risk if you install the break or tweaks from untrustworthy sources. On my end there is nothing to gain. My NAS blocks the IP, only cam streams go through. There is nothing important on my phone, not even email or payment options.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric said:

The only confirmed cases of iPhones being hacked that I have heard of  were on jailbroken phones. 

That is part of the reason I never had interest in jail breaking my phone. The other part is I don't even come close to using all the features on my IPhone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crockett said:

Are you sure? Afaik on the iPhone X this isn't supported anymore because auf the new display surrounding the speaker. I don't have this setting in my iPhone X.

Yeah, I think the battery percentage is only viewable in control center when you swipe down from the upper right. Screen shot from my X.

CCB47FA4-41FF-4AD0-93B9-0F642F7BFA32.png

10 hours ago, aksnowman said:

how much do you pay for a jail broke phone? i never really understood this concept but i hope your happy. wouldnt you want to be able to update to the latest ios?

Jail-breaking is a process that you have to do yourself. You either download a software to your phone or you go through a computer and USB cable. The software hacks your phone and makes it accessible for modifications of the operating system, which is otherwise closed up.

In layman's terms a jail broken iPhone gives you a lot more control over your property. Much like in a Windows operating systems, it allows you then to change the appearance or behavior. There are litteraly thousand of tweaks for jail broken phones. You can also code your own changes. 

While I like the form factor and the simplicity of iPhones, I hate that Apple is taking away control of your phone even though you paid for it entirely.

One of the latest stunts Apple did, was to slow down older iPhones through iOS updates. They claim they did this to keep them working better with older batteries, but that is a flat out a lie in my book. They only try to push you into a new and faster phone for profit. There are a bunch of class-action lawsuits in the making because of this scam.

That alone is reason enough for me not wanting any iOS updates, and rather full control of MY phone. I paid $1,150 for this damn thing. Jail-breaking removes the constant risk of accidentally upgrading it when Apple forces yet another ******* update notification on me, never being able to disable them in a none jail-broken phone, only leaving me with "Install now" and "Remind me later". I don't want my phone telling me what I have to do.

Just in case you want to read up on Apples scam:

Apple’s iPhone slowdown mess spawned 59 class-action lawsuits

https://bgr.com/2018/03/28/iphone-slowdown-class-action-lawsuits/

It's always the same. As soon as a large cooperation gets into a semi-monopolistic position, they start screwing customers over. Much like Google / YouTube, Amazon, ATT, many if not most health insurer.

6 hours ago, KBKEITH said:

Yeah, I think the battery percentage is only viewable in control center when you swipe down from the upper right. Screen shot from my X.

CCB47FA4-41FF-4AD0-93B9-0F642F7BFA32.png

Yeah, that's what I found a while back, but I never use the control center. This swiping in different directions is going on my nerves. I just want to see everything in one place, start apps, and close them with a single swipe up. I use my phone a lot in my truck. All those complicating swipes and press & hold actions take my focus away from the road and just add a risk.

Back in college I had a really great professor in a class called "UI Ergonomics" (User Interface). Learned a lot from him. Apples new iOS violates several ergonomic standards. Stuff like that usually happens, when you outsource programming to countries like India. Those folks have no clue in several aspects, UI being one of them. That's a cultural issues, and another story altogether.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Silentpoet said:

Um you know you can set the standard interface to show battery percentage.

My new iPhone SE shows batter percentage and I did not have to change any settings. It just defaulted to that on startup.

8 hours ago, aksnowman said:

how much do you pay for a jail broke phone? i never really understood this concept but i hope your happy. wouldnt you want to be able to update to the latest ios?

I had not done an iOS update on my old 5s for over 2 years.

Every time I did before that, the updates loaded all manner of new annoyances (features) in the update, and also killed of some of the apps that I relied on, so I just stopped updating.

Now I have a new SE because I switched carriers and my 5s was AT&T only. So far I have no problem with the new iOS, but I will not blindly update. I want to know what new versions are going to do to my phone and the few apps that I do run on it.

My wife gets on me because she says the updates are about security, but I have nothing on my phone that requires security.

My laptop and other computers are another story entirely.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crockett said:

Jail-breaking is a process that you have to do yourself. You either download a software to your phone or you go through a computer and USB cable. The software hacks your phone and makes it accessible for modifications of the operating system, which is otherwise closed up.

In layman's terms a jail broken iPhone gives you a lot more control over your property. Much like in a Windows operating systems, it allows you then to change the appearance or behavior. There are litteraly thousand of tweaks for jail broken phones. You can also code your own changes. 

While I like the form factor and the simplicity of iPhones, I hate that Apple is taking away control of your phone even though you paid for it entirely.

One of the latest stunts Apple did, was to slow down older iPhones through iOS updates. They claim they did this to keep them working better with older batteries, but that is a flat out a lie in my book. They only try to push you into a new and faster phone for profit. There are a bunch of class-action lawsuits in the making because of this scam.

That alone is reason enough for me not wanting any iOS updates, and rather full control of MY phone. I paid $1,150 for this damn thing. Jail-breaking removes the constant risk of accidentally upgrading it when Apple forces yet another ******* update notification on me, never being able to disable them in a none jail-broken phone, only leaving me with "Install now" and "Remind me later". I don't want my phone telling me what I have to do.

It's always the same. As soon as a large cooperation gets into a semi-monopolistic situation, they start screwing customers over. Much like Google / Yahoo, Amazon, ATT, many if not most health insurer.

Yeah, that's what I found a while back, but I never use the control center. This swiping in different directions is going on my nerves. I just want to see everything in one place, start apps, and close them with a single swipe up. I use my phone a lot in my truck. All those complicating swipes and press & hold actions take my focus away from the road and just add a risk.

Back in college I had a really great professor in a class called "UI Ergonomics" (User Interface). Learned a lot from him. Apples new iOS violates several ergonomic standards. Stuff like that usually happens, when you outsource programming to countries like India. Those folks have no clue in several aspects, UI being one of them. That's a cultural issues, and another story altogether.

I’ll admit that it took me a while to get used to all the new swiping and gesturing needed on the X. That being said, I find that I am used to all of it now. I’ll probably stick to this phone for a while unless Apple really wows me this September.

• Like 1

Do you know anything about the Android version of jail breaking Crockett?  I've been thinking of doing it on my old S3 but have not found much clarity over the process.

Would hate to brick the damn thing by rooting it but, it's getting old and some apps are not compatible anymore.  Any good resources you've used ?  Thanks.

13 hours ago, crockett said:

It's always the same. As soon as a large cooperation gets into a semi-monopolistic position, they start screwing customers over. Much like Google / YouTube, Amazon, ATT, many if not most health insurer.

Thank you for the response. I have heard about this before but never did any research just heard people say oh don’t do it your phone won’t work properly. You won’t get the important updates from apple.  The more I update my phone the more I question what the hell am I actually getting besides more dumb ******* emojis. I never use those stupid things. I want an update that makes the phone work properly and secure and fast. 

9 hours ago, Peng said:

Do you know anything about the Android version of jail breaking Crockett?  I've been thinking of doing it on my old S3 but have not found much clarity over the process.

Would hate to brick the damn thing by rooting it but, it's getting old and some apps are not compatible anymore.  Any good resources you've used ?  Thanks.

No, I'm sorry. I have only owned iOS and Win phones. All I know is that they call it "rooting" instead of jail-breaking.

16 minutes ago, aksnowman said:

Thank you for the response. I have heard about this before but never did any research just heard people say oh don’t do it your phone won’t work properly. You won’t get the important updates from apple.  The more I update my phone the more I question what the hell am I actually getting besides more dumb ******* emojis. I never use those stupid things. I want an update that makes the phone work properly and secure and fast. 

It really depends on your background I guess. If you don't feel comfortable doing this and / or lack some good experiences in at least troubleshooting computers, it might be better to leave it alone. There is usually something not going as expected and then you will have to figure it out, or live with it. Some issues can be remedied within minutes and a simple google search, other problems can keep you busy for an entire day while reading and posting on a developer forum. I have a serious background in IT and coding, incl a degree in CS. I can fix most issues or at least get back to a working iOS, so for me this is just a little challenge for the most part. Motivated by the crap that Apple implements.

• Thanks 1