I Am Stepping Down As A GT Admin

Eric

3 hours ago, ModGlock17 said:

I'm concerned that your announcement on GT would bring some irrational newcomers over here.

Any chance that you can delete that announcement?

I suppose that is a risk, but I would much rather Eric cast a wide net and gather the good people from there that have left discouraged.

BGH built a damned good community there and I am confident he can do the same here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, billkill said:

I suppose that is a risk, but I would much rather Eric cast a wide net and gather the good people from there that have left discouraged.

BGH built a damned good community there and I am confident he can do the same here.

I like your avatar and I LOVED the movie! :crylikeender:

• Like 2

Having joined over here back in February, I didn't do very much lurking here - still defaulting to GT.  With Eric's announcement, however, I have taken the liberty of removing my GT bookmark and replacing it with TBS.  As in all things, this site will rise or fall by the user participation so I will make sure to do my part to Make The Bore Sight Great!

Edited by GoDirectly2Jail
  • Like 1

well, i started lurking on GT way way long ago.  Bought my first glocks as a pair.  gen 3 g22 and g27 then found this site and just read the general glocking section.

it was a great site then. i really started reading more back in the early 2000's and by 2007 hung around once in a while before joining and then being banned.

im still banned over there for a little while longer and i learned that liberal DU trolls are a protected class and certain mods are probably the trolls themselves or encourage it.

such is life.

anyways congrats on the new venture Eric and i would like stock options on this site before you go public on this one.

I can't even imagine how brutal this decision must have been for you Eric.  I've been around GT a long time.. can't say I always agreed w/ you.. but more often than not I did.  Those of us who have been around a while have certainly saw the decline of the site... (maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to have really plummeted the last 3-4yrs).  I've found myself spending a lot of time on Reddit, and not near as much on GT.  I'm gonna try to stop in here more often

Best wishes... 

• Like 2

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, IndyGunFreak said:

I can't even imagine how brutal this decision must have been for you Eric.  I've been around GT a long time.. can't say I always agreed w/ you.. but more often than not I did.  Those of us who have been around a while have certainly saw the decline of the site... (maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to have really plummeted the last 3-4yrs).  I've found myself spending a lot of time on Reddit, and not near as much on GT.  I'm gonna try to stop in here more often

Best wishes... 

Thanks, man. It's good to see you here.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2018 at 12:20 AM, Rabbi said:

GT has been a fantastic place for a lot of people.  You did that and that truth will never go away. 

:) 

This is truth.

GT has changed but at it's core it is still the same place:

large.funny-star-wars-scum-city-washingt

Just kidding of course (sorry Eric).  There are a lot of really good people there.  And a few perverts but enough about G30/F250.

• Like 1

Eric - I hope you don't mind my joking around above but I know this had to be tough.  Much like the founder of Toys-R-Us was heartbroken when the store went under even though he no longer owned itn(Rabbi thread last week) it has to suck to see something you put so much hard work into take a downward turn and be powerless to do a damn thing about it.

Here's to TBS becoming the new, improved version of what Glocktalk was. 

If it weren't for GT I wouldn't know that all airplanes need hooks and that people actually get paid to break them.  And a few things about guns too......

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Patrice said:

Hhmmm....Maybe I'm missing it, but has Mr. Eric's resignation-thread been deleted from GT? 

Was just over there and didn't notice it.  Course, if it was me....I'd probably have deleted such a thread/posts as well...and, sooner rather than later.  Looks bad to the members and reflects badly on the new owners & their minions to have a high-status (or at least formerly high-status) individual lament the current state of the forum.  Guess sometimes a swan song is just not appreciated. 

It’s stickied at the top of the Okie Corral. It is still there. 

On 7/2/2018 at 7:21 AM, ModGlock17 said:

I'm concerned that your announcement on GT would bring some irrational newcomers over here.

Any chance that you can delete that announcement?

well i agree with that , but that is Eric's business  im sure its to let as many know and get over here  to bring in newcomers  and flock  and he started it all so

that is to be respected .it was alittle crazy as me and other were here from like day 1 and then wham everyone popped up , but more is good  i hope . but i know

big things will happen here down the road ..

Edited by ASH

Ok kiddies, grab your popcorn and pull up a chair! :popcorn1:

Its' story time! :fred:

Prior to having to sell the place, Eric & his crew did a pretty good job running GT, as it lasted a lot longer than it's predecessors!  However, as with all things involving the human race, you can't please everyone and a lot of times "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" as it were.  I've noticed a lot of things in life (including internet forums) tend to go in cycles depending on the dominating personalities at the time and how much the 'quieter' types are willing to let it continue.  Sometimes that is a good thing and other times, not so good, especially when one or a group of folks tend to be 'toxic'.  To put things in perspective, I bring you the history portion of my little story... 

When I first got involved in Glocks...and when internet forums were still in their infancy, but a lot newer than dirt..."Glockenspiel" ('GnS') was THE (well, the only) Glock forum way back in the early/mid 90's.  It was a great site, with lots of decent folks who knew their stuff, but weren't "know-it-alls" about it.  Unfortunately the site started bursting at the seams the more popular it became, causing the owners to create 'rules'  and then they had to start coming up with ventures to generate some revenue in order to keep the place running.  The idiots & trolls started coming out of the woodwork at that point and ruined the place.

Finally one of the members had had enough of the direction that GnS was taking, so he (Randy) started a new site (can't recall the name off hand) to hopefully weed out the riff-raff and create a 'new & improved' Glock forum where folks could talk Glocks & life in general without being harassed by the "newbies" & political ranters who tended to ruin a lot of good discussions.  Unfortunately Randy's site suffered the same fate as GnS.  The more it was "moderated" the more folks whined & moaned about 'censorship', 'freedom of speach', etc., etc., forgetting that the forum may have been "open to the public", but it was still privately owned & ran.  Yep, crashed & burned.  I do believe that is where Eric & "Glocktalk" came to be.  (Of course that part is Eric's to tell, as my memory may be way off base due to going through a divorce at the time, so my time on the internet back then was very limited.)

As for my time & experience with GT, it was my 'home' for a long time.  I noticed that it too suffered growing pains & went through various ebbs & flows of 'personalities', but Eric & his crew of Mods managed to keep things in check for the most part.  I usually took a break from GT when things got uncomfortable and/or the 'idiots' were allowed to run amuck before they were either banned, got bored or put in their place.  There were still a few 'popular' folks that rubbed me the wrong way, but since they were liked by the majority of the forum, I found other parts of the site to participate in!  I also had the chance to meet a few GTers in person and made some friends who I stay in touch with to this day.  Hopefully those folks...at least the ones who are still living...will eventually find their way over here!

The above is from my own memory & experience, so YMMV!

B. :trek: :kiltsmilie: 

Edited by B. Somm
  • Like 2

• Eric unpinned this topic