Hoover Stew

Eric

• Administrators

I really enjoyed watching this lady’s videos as well. Sadly, she has passed away, but there are still quite a few of her videos on You Tube. She lived through the Depression and had some great stories to go along with her recipes.

• Like 3

• Administrators

There used to be a gun shop in Tucson called Scaramuzzo’s. My father took me there many times. The guy who owned it was a kid during the Depression and he always had some good stories. He paid me to sweep his shop a few times. The first time, he told me about how it was getting and keeping a job sweeping floors when he was a kid. Jobs were obviously dead scarce and competition for them was tough.

He told me how you had to sweep quickly, but with short strokes, so you don’t raise much dust as you swept. If you didn’t do it just right, there were plenty of people waiting to step into that job. Anyway, to this day, I think of that guy every time I pick up a broom.

• Like 6

I guess you could say my grandparents in law, they would talk of the depression and stories were very interesting.  In fact Tom who passed early this year was the reason for the Battle of the Bulge, long story.  Him and his wife, Paula, became well off primarily  because of Tom's job at Dow where he created several patented processes.  Paula was a hoot, she would always share the meals they got without asking Tom and would box up leftovers and date them.  When she passed a couple years ago, they found a whole bunch of stored things to us at a later time.

Of course I could tell you of a Jerry Springer story again on my wife's side but will save that for later.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Eric said:

I really enjoyed watching this lady’s videos as well. Sadly, she has passed away, but there are still quite a few of her videos on You Tube. She lived through the Depression and had some great stories to go along with her recipes.

Our family favorite was Goulash....  I loved it.  Now that I'm old and thinking of Goulash, I have no idea how to make it.  I remember the looks of it with hamburger and tomatoes and elbow macaroni, it had an orange look coating the noodles with some grease from the hamburger.  When I try to find out how to make it, it seems everybody had a different recipes..  So far, none that duplicate what my mother or father made.

My maternal grandmother was a great cook. She could make a good meal and some bread out of anything she had at hand. The family ate okay even though the depression. I loved her teaching me to make biscuits as a little kid.

My paternal grandmother was a different story. I think her cooking was her way of inflicting pain and suffering on the world. She would cook a different meal each night, give you your serving and that’s all you got. Any leftovers got put in Mason jars and saved for Saturday. Her Saturday “Goulash” was to take all the leftovers and stew them together with a little water and lard. It was awful.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3