Close Calls

Eric

• Administrators

I've mentioned before that I've been watching the Air Disasters TV series. In a great many of the crashes, a chain of Human errors combine to create a disaster. It is seldom just one cause that brings down an airliner.

I wonder how often near disasters occur? Disasters that never get reported, or maybe disasters that those involved never even know almost occurred. How often does a chain of errors get broken by one good decision, or by random chance, and avert a disaster? How many times has every air passenger been on the verge of a disaster that didn't quite occur, with them none the wiser? It's a disturbing question to contemplate.

• Like 4

How will affirmative action and DIE in hiring at FAA and for airliner cabins affect this. Some have suggested that Boeing’s troubles which are now beginning to appear lie in DIE…

Yes I know the popular acronym is DEI but that is out of sequence with actual occurrence 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

How will affirmative action and DIE in hiring at FAA and for airliner cabins affect this. Some have suggested that Boeing’s troubles which are now beginning to appear lie in DIE…

Yes I know the popular acronym is DEI but that is out of sequence with actual occurrence 

How many DIE-related disasters will it take before people are unwilling to chance one by flying?  Or become unwilling to see a doctor that isn’t a white man, since they’ll know that only the best of the best of those succeed at getting into medical school, all the other slots being reserved for less qualified box checkers?  (This hurts the truly qualified females and minorities, too, since no one will know whether they got in due to their actual qualifications, or due to their box checker status).

how many bridges will collapse? How many “earthquake proof” buildings?  How many truly qualified police and firefighters and soldiers will die because of poor performance by unqualified personnel?  

how long before it is realized that merit is the only sensible standard, and all other “standards” are recognized as farcical at best and lethal at worst?  Will humanity survive its own idiocy?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

How many DIE-related disasters will it take before people are unwilling to chance one by flying?  Or become unwilling to see a doctor that isn’t a white man, since they’ll know that only the best of the best of those succeed at getting into medical school, all the other slots being reserved for less qualified box checkers?  (This hurts the truly qualified females and minorities, too, since no one will know whether they got in due to their actual qualifications, or due to their box checker status).

how many bridges will collapse? How many “earthquake proof” buildings?  How many truly qualified police and firefighters and soldiers will die because of poor performance by unqualified personnel?  

how long before it is realized that merit is the only sensible standard, and all other “standards” are recognized as farcical at best and lethal at worst?  Will humanity survive its own idiocy?  

I won't hold my breath. How long did it take "them" to start to maybe begin to admit the truth about UFOs? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Catch the Lemmon/Musk interview a few days ago.  Don tried to make Elon look like a racist bigot but it didn't turn out too well for dumb Don.  They were talking about racism and DEI and lowering standards in the medical career field. 

On another note, I had a close friend with a lake house and before he passed away, we were often down there on the weekends.  He would have it on some youtube channel that was a live feed of a marina in Miami I think.  The near collision of boats and mishaps while launching or trailering the boat was a multiple daily occurrence.

• Like 2