The Mighty Mississippi

That reminds me of the 1993 Floods. I spent the better part of a month replacing a washed out railroad bridge in Missouri. We worked around the clock for 28 days (3 shifts) I never want to see that much water and the destruction it causes again. 

• Like 2

Here is a nice peaceful picture of the river I took this past Sunday morning at 7am.  This is one of the narrow points of the river as it flows south.  Just to the south of this view is a railroad bridge which was built shortly after the Civil War at Lincolns request fearing the war would go west of the Mississippi River.  The bridge was rebuild a few years back but still looks similar but more beefed up to handle the traffic it now carries.

830815255_PXL_20240211_1300069732.thumb.jpg.966500422adffc142eccb1ff4b3ae8d9.jpg

2008 picture of the railroad bridge during flood.

1263981101_Screenshot2024-02-12at13-11-43WhyIlovecallingithome--BurlingtonIowaBurlingtoniowaBurlingtonTrip.png.44e44656240a41da7209ccaac480d6d1.png

• Like 3

23 hours ago, G21H30 said:

That reminds me of the 1993 Floods. I spent the better part of a month replacing a washed out railroad bridge in Missouri. We worked around the clock for 28 days (3 shifts) I never want to see that much water and the destruction it causes again. 

Although I live in SC, I grew up in Iowa.  I remember the '93 floods, and what my friends and family had to endure.  I, too, never want to see that much destruction again.  But this river has a history of flooding.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, janice6 said:

When I was a kid my father took us to Itasca State Park so we could "walk across the headwaters of the Mississippi river".

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/Itasca/headwaters.html

When I was in high school, my parents and I took a trip to MN and we 'walked' across the Mississippi.  That's something you never forget.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1