Military Intelligence

Eric

When I was in the Marines, some of the military vehicles were secured with a chain padlocked to the steering wheel. The other end of the chain was secured to the vehicle with a bolt screwed into a corresponding nut welded to the floor of the vehicle.

Civilian vehicles like sedans, cans and pickup trucks had their own sets of keys but M151, Hummer, 6-BYs often just had the chain. And this was not everywhere but enough places did it that it was exploitable  Sorry Ft. McCoy  

The bolt into the floor was a standard 5/8 head. This bit of information is why my CO almost always had a vehicle at his disposal. And why I didn’t receive the Good Conduct Medal. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

When I was in the Marines, some of the military vehicles were secured with a chain padlocked to the steering wheel. The other end of the chain was secured to the vehicle with a bolt screwed into a corresponding nut welded to the floor of the vehicle.

Civilian vehicles like sedans, cans and pickup trucks had their own sets of keys but M151, Hummer, 6-BYs often just had the chain. And this was not everywhere but enough places did it that it was exploitable  Sorry Ft. McCoy  

*****The bolt into the floor was a standard 5/8 head. This bit of information is why my CO almost always had a vehicle at his disposal. And why I didn’t receive the Good Conduct Medal. 

****** I never saw that, but, hmmm ..... Maybe for a good reason :chatter:  (I was at Ft Dix in Jan'Feb of 1957 ....) 

1 hour ago, DAKA said:

****** I never saw that, but, hmmm ..... Maybe for a good reason :chatter:  (I was at Ft Dix in Jan'Feb of 1957 ....) 

It didn’t last long. About 85-86. Way to much abuse. The problem was people would checkout vehicles and not use them. Just had them in case they needed it. So the motor pool ran out of vehicles. So I would commendeer a vehicle for a couple hours that had just been sitting for a couple days somewhere other than inside the motor pool. Usually no one noticed.

• Like 1