The Golden Age of Semi Auto Handguns?

Old School

There was a thread about being in the Golden Age of Muscle Cars.  I had to agree and it gave me pause to think that we might be in the Golden Age of Semi Auto handguns.  There are some mighty fine options out there - not just Glock, Sig H&K.  The new Ruger American is a fine handgun.  I held a S&W M&P 2.0 last week and was not disappointed.  Everything FN offers.  Remington's RP9 appears competitive.  Beretta.  The 1911 guys (Springfield, Kimber, Colt) are a bit more limited but still put out some good products.

Thoughts?

• Like 3

I can't say what this age of arms is, but the golden age was long ago.

To be something in the golden age, that something would have to end. 

In firearms terms, I guess the golden age would have been back when all guns were made from wood and steel. It ended during the dawn of the polymer gun. There are still some fine guns made today, but not much art, labor, pride, or love go into them. CNC has taken the soul out of modern guns. You lay hands on a polymer gun, and they are all the same. You pick up a 50 year old S&W model 27 and you see the work that was put into it. A Python with a royal blue finish. A 1873 Colt SAA. 

I get this feeling every time I handle a real gun that doesn't come with polymer guns. It's a hard feeling to describe in words. I guess you just know it when you feel it. 

Edited by Jason D
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Danoobie said:

I must admit what a pleasing surprise FN has been. They really know their stuff. There are many good makers today,

and if you are willing to pony up the right dough, you can get some real jewels. Even the old S&W GEN IIIs are tight.

I admit to never really giving FN much of a thought, other than the Hi Power of course. I had been mildly interested in one of their polymer hammer guns like the FNX but never really come across any. Last year KYgunco offered some .40 cal FNS pistols for a price so cheap, I couldn't pass one over. To say I was impressed with the build quality would be an understatement. I was down right shocked at what I got for my money. It's a fully ambi gun, with a cold hammer forged barrel, steel sights, steel guide rod, decent enough trigger, and real honest to God machined steel rails. 

Last week KYgunco offered some again for a ridiculously cheap price, except with night sights. I snagged me a second that I plan to use for a carry gun for 299.99.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

These both are brand new guns. One I picked up last year for like 330 or so, and the second I picked up the other day for 299. 

I originally bought the first one because it was cheap and I didn't have one. I was highly impressed upon field stripping it. It has a lot of features that are just now being added to certain brands of guns, as well as real machined slide rails. My Brother recently bought him one in 9mm and was impressed as well. I could come up with many reasons I bought the second, but I mainly hope to make it a carry gun. The second gun has night sights and of course still came with three of the super expensive magazines. I submitted the serial for the light rebate, though am pretty sure it did not qualify as I can not find the product number listed pretty much anywhere. 

It won't be the end of the world and I don't even care if I get the light. I am extremely happy with FN's FNS. 

20180213_223954.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/4/2018 at 4:00 AM, Jason D said:

I can't say what this age of arms is, but the golden age was long ago.

To be something in the golden age, that something would have to end. 

In firearms terms, I guess the golden age would have been back when all guns were made from wood and steel. It ended during the dawn of the polymer gun. There are still some fine guns made today, but not much art, labor, pride, or love go into them. CNC has taken the soul out of modern guns. You lay hands on a polymer gun, and they are all the same. You pick up a 50 year old S&W model 27 and you see the work that was put into it. A Python with a royal blue finish. A 1873 Colt SAA. 

I get this feeling every time I handle a real gun that doesn't come with polymer guns. It's a hard feeling to describe in words. I guess you just know it when you feel it. 

Yes.

I have an early manufacture SW Model 19 with a finish so deep you can lose yourself in it. Whoever polished that thing put his heart and soul into it.

• Like 2

I think there are some fine pistols being made today. Modern metallurgy is the foundation. CNC machines turn that metal into precise components. Granted, production pistols come off an assembly line, but they are pretty darn good quality. There are also numerous pistolsmiths (maybe more than ever before) who can create exquisite custom works of functioning art.

• Like 2

The prices have never been better (considering inflation).  New quality $300 pistols are not a dream as they were the last 20 years.  HK's and FN's under $500 all day among others.  Saw a Shield 45 2.0 LE (NS & 3 mags) for $300 I'm going to have to have now...  S&W revolvers and Glocks have stayed the same though.  

• Like 2

When I was much younger if we exclude the wide variety of Spanish imports it seemed like we only had a choice of Colt  made 1911 designs or Browning 1935 High Powers . S&W entered the auto loader market much later. The number of different affordable auto loaders, many USA made,  on sale right now is just astounding.  I vote  now as a Golden Age, with the possibility it could get better.

Edited by Richardb
crappy typist
  • Like 2

I would say that we’re living in the golden age of semi-auto handguns with all of the models, widespread availability and affordable prices that we have.

That said, I think the golden age of firearms, bar none was prob 1950-the late 1970s (Brownings, Colts, S&W revolvers etc). 

• Like 1

At the very least we are in a damn good age of guns. The Glock 26 & 27, Beretta Nano, Kahr MK9, HK P2000sk and other great subcompact pstols weren't even thought of when I started gun shopping circa 1981. We did have 1911s and I had my first P7 back in the early 80s so plenty of great guns to have but none as small as now. 

I really think the plethora of smaller pistols distinguish this era from earlier. At the same time I like having the Colt 1903, Walther P5, P7PSP and my P239s since they are now out of production.

Yeah Old School I agree with you that we have a lot to be thankful for as far as choice, and Gorsuch and the next SC appointee.

• Like 3

I would vote that we are long past the golden age of guns. Very little if anything coming out is really new and innovative. All the gun world is doing now is dressing up the same old stuff and presenting it as new. Even the P320 and it's "amazing modular FCU" is just a rehash of an old design that Steyr patented and Beretta was already using in the Nano (and now APX). Pretty much everything in the dealer case at my local gun shop is based in part on something John Moses Browning or his peers first thought of back when people died of dysentery and air travel was unheard of. Yes we went from steel, to aluminum, to polymer... but even that is not really all that new. As consumers we are perfectly fine with lipstick on a pig so no one is really trying that hard to come out with the plasma rifle in the 40 watt range. But if they do we might see some actual innovation in our life times. So far we haven't.

Edited by mlk18
grammar

Lots to choose from out there at this point in time.

Time will tell if this was the "golden age." I hope things just keep getting better and better, as a "golden age" always seems to lament a period that is dead and gone.

I remember going with my father to the gun shop in the mid 1960s in search of a carry gun. S&W revolvers and the Colt Government were about the only name brand choices. Sure, they were well made, but not a lot of variety. 

• Like 1

I started carrying in '75 (model 15 S&W Combat Masterpiece, and a Colt Detective Special).  I think the prices, quality, and choices available today are fantastic! I really can't believe it! There are physical laws that limit how small and light we can get; and I think we're there!

• Like 1

I am happy with what I have seen and bought.  I bought a Ruger GP-100 4.2" 22LR as my last revolver, it was a new model in 2017.  I bought a Taurus Spectrum this year, a new model pocket 380, I seem to collect them.  I also bought two Springfield Mod 2 XD40's a 4" and 3", and a XD357 all new.  I don't know if it's a golden age, but we certainly have a wider choice of makes and models than we ever have.  I am eyeing two Ruger revolvers, a SP-101 327 3" and a Vaquero Birdshead  45LC 3.75"... I would carry the 327 (I have a LCR 327, but that is light for the load) I need a 45LC..okay I don't but I will buy one because I want it.  Lots of diversity out there.  That's Golden.

I do not believe any one period "is" the golden age of anything.

It has been my experience owning firearms since the 1940's that every decade produces at least one firearm that I want to own.

Some proved to be steller, others lemons.  Whether I am fickle or not,  I have fallen in love with at least with one of them each decade.

Today, the choice is so vast that one has the opportunity to find that gun that suits perfectly.

Good luck in your choice.

• Like 1