Things I read which matter… to me…

railfancwb

• Administrators
44 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Your mileage may vary.

Robert A Heinlein’s “The Man Who Traveled in Elephants” hits me every time. So many American classic events now gone forever. The storyline grabs me as well.

https://maggiemcneill.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/the-man-who-traveled-in-elephants.pdf

I’ve always enjoyed Heinlein. Number of the Beast is probably my favorite of his books, with an honorable mention to his short story anthology, Future History. 

“Stranger in a Strange Land” was his breakout novel. Some have said he never HAD to work after that. Peculiarities of editors and copyright law led to two versions being on the market after his death. Original editor insisted it be cut by about 60,000 words. The uncut manuscript existed, and after his death the widow turned it over to a publisher. Both versions have since been available.

I’m probably a reprobate but I prefer the cut version as published.

Similar situation happened with “Number of the Beast”. Heinlein wrote two versions of the tale and “Number of the Beast” was published. The alternate version was located and published recently as “Pursuit of the Pankera”. They are identical for about the first third if memory serves. 

02083709-9ECA-4FA4-AD43-8EC82BEF73E1.jpeg

• Like 1

In the mid-1970s I bought this book - “Dance of the Moneybees”.

The mandatory investment suggestions which must decorate books on investing are worthless now, and nearly so when the book arrived in stores.

However, the long term value of the book is in the humorous depiction of human behavior, which seldom changes. Some of those are marked by the post-it note tabs.

A classic is the depiction of investors as families at a banquet waiting to join the buffet line. Tick-tick-tick people watch, none getting in early. Then - whoosh - everybody got in line at once thus an hour or so before the last finally sat down to eat. Likewise buying Tesla or Apple or Amazon stock.

Unsurprisingly the book has nothing to offer traders. 

80B6A03D-6895-469D-9C5B-AF6BC5320112.jpeg

Have read many L’Amour books. His descriptions of scenery pop into my mind while driving through areas he described.

Last of the Breed and Haunted Mesa are two of his I reread recently. Both placed in modern times. Believe he put some other westerns into modern times but titles escape me.