Hydroponic Garden

LostinTexas

11 minutes ago, norton said:

Commercial hydroponic tomato growth was a big thing back in the late 20th century.  The insurance company I worked for insured a number of these operations here in Indiana.

I don't see the grow houses anymore  we insured that I visited.  

Maybe it wasn't as profitable as projected?  

It has it's problems just like most anything else. In the late 1970's and early '80's the hydroponic industry was booming. Trouble is, they were very expensive and a lot of folks just didn't buy them. Many of them have a unique texture. So far, cherry tomatoes and beans are all I've taken out of they hydroponic garden for fruiting plants. They are both very good, leaf vegetables are the same. One of our neighbors won't even use dressing on salads out of it.

I don't know the farming industry in India, but I'm sure a lot of the problems here came from that industry, among other things.

Many times the "next big thing" is priced out by the people trying to make it the "next big thing". Still plenty of hydro gardens in existence here, but they mostly cater to specialty markets. Too bad, you can grow a mountain in a small (ish} building, year round, and in less days than the outdoor counter parts with little to no pest consideration.

Oh well it makes for a hobby. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got my first tomato today off my indoor plant. Gonna let it finish up for a day or two in the window. The others are anywhere from green to breaking color to a few days from picking.

Got my first tomato off the "kale" yesterday. That thing is tomatoes gone wild under that little green house thing. Okra will be ready in a day or two, I think.

I have some Cherokee Purple planted, well the dwarf version. They should keep going. About an inch or two tall right now, 2 weeks? in. They will be moved to the big garden when the other tomatoes finish up. These will be a challenge for a while. They have an odd color when ripe. Kind of a dirty light red in the pictures. We'll see.

Have kale and lettuce going wild. I over planted, again. LOL still a work in progress and fun to watch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Got my first tomato today off my indoor plant. Gonna let it finish up for a day or two in the window. The others are anywhere from green to breaking color to a few days from picking.

Got my first tomato off the "kale" yesterday. That thing is tomatoes gone wild under that little green house thing. Okra will be ready in a day or two, I think.

I have some Cherokee Purple planted, well the dwarf version. They should keep going. About an inch or two tall right now, 2 weeks? in. They will be moved to the big garden when the other tomatoes finish up. These will be a challenge for a while. They have an odd color when ripe. Kind of a dirty light red in the pictures. We'll see.

Have kale and lettuce going wild. I over planted, again. LOL still a work in progress and fun to watch.

I finished off the outdoor garden kale just before Thanksgiving, more because of insects than cold weather.  And we had bok choy and spinach from the hoop house garden last week.  There is still arugula, and more spinach left in there, but I have to eat everything in the fridge before I harvest anymore of that.  The only thing left in the outdoor garden is carrots, parsnips, and rutabaga.  I think. I'll harvest those this week before my ground freezes.  

Half my seed order for next year arrived in the mail today, SO HAPPY!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I finished off the outdoor garden kale just before Thanksgiving, more because of insects than cold weather.  And we had bok choy and spinach from the hoop house garden last week.  There is still arugula, and more spinach left in there, but I have to eat everything in the fridge before I harvest anymore of that.  The only thing left in the outdoor garden is carrots, parsnips, and rutabaga.  I think. I'll harvest those this week before my ground freezes.  

Half my seed order for next year arrived in the mail today, SO HAPPY!

No root vegetables, but seeds are in and ready to plant as well. I'm ready for things to finish up in the little green house thingy. I need to get some soil work. We don't usually freeze up like y'all in the north lands so kale may be going till I take it out. We'll see.  Took out the bean plants a few days ago, they were done but that blossoming kale takes every inch I manage to free up and then some. I need to go eat that tomato and see how it is.

Good times and plenty to keep me occupied for the winter. I'm looking at a second raised bed, still searching peach trees, and LostWife has a request in for something in front to make it look like people live here. Only been here 18 years, not sure why the rush. LOL

Cheers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the tomatoes were really good. We are enjoying them a bit at a time. One left, we may have a burger to finish it off.  About 4 weeks into the new ones. A micro dwarf Cherokee Purple. About 6 inches tall these days, They claim to get to 18 inches, so we'll have to see. New beans planted and a couple inches tall. I hope these are more prolific, Mescotte? variety. These are a bush bean so pretty one and done, even though I get about 10-14 days of production from the old ones. May do the same with these.

The little freeze a couple days ago got my outdoor tomato bush and okra. The tomatoes I got from it were very good and so was the okra. Can't wait to get okra going in the spring. My little lame plastic cover didn't afford much protection other than a moderate frost. Only got to about 30, and didn't last long, I don't think. The kale in the tent is going strong for the time being. It should be a lot more hardy than the other two. Bright side, I don't have to stress over when to pull those plants. LOL

More as it happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Historian said:

Love this tomato. So wonderful to eat by themselves with just a little salt and olive oil.

Cherokee Purple Tomato Seeds - Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co

These should be smaller than that, and I've never grown them. Only seen the sliced, and even the just once. They were great.

How do you tell when they are ripe? I just guessed I'd figure it out. LOL

48 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

These should be smaller than that, and I've never grown them. Only seen the sliced, and even the just once. They were great.

How do you tell when they are ripe? I just guessed I'd figure it out. LOL

I have grown them.  When they are firm yet soft and smell like a tomato they are ripe.   :)  They are my go to for salads.

They really are fantastic. They are sensitive to heat and won't set fruit above about 93 or so.

They are considered a heirloom tomato of the South.

• Like 1

And,,,,,,,,,we have blossoms. The first on one plant. The other two seem a few weeks behind. Beans are growing slowly. Not sure about these just yet.

My outdoor kale is hanging in. We had a freeze the past few nights and one forecast tonight. I hope it stays alive. If not, going all in on ground prep.

• 3 weeks later...

Two tomatoes about the size of a nickel, and several blossom stems getting thick on all three plants. Lots of blooms but they grow strangely to me. Then again, I have never grown a micro dwarf or a potato leaf tomato. These are little plants, so we'll see.

Beans are a puzzle. They seem healthy but growing oddly and no blooms yet. Looking back on the time line here, I may be a bit premature. Probably a week or two away from blooms.

I think I'll settle in to a 5-6 week rotation on lettuce and kale. That is still a learning curve. On a positive, we haven't bought salad fixins in quite a while.

On 12/14/2021 at 6:02 AM, Historian said:

Love this tomato. So wonderful to eat by themselves with just a little salt and olive oil.

Cherokee Purple Tomato Seeds - Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co

WildFred.jpg,       tomato_dwarf-wild-fred_sliced.jpg&maxx=90&maxy=0,       tomato_dwarf-wild-fred_fruit.jpg&maxx=90&maxy=0   

These are smallish, about the size of the palm of your hand. We will see. Thanks, I have something to go on now.

I have some seed for the real deal. I'll get them started around the first of March for transplant in April. I hope to get a run of them before our heat sets in.

• 2 weeks later...

Woo Hoo! Found some peach trees. One is a "Dwarf", the other isn't but claims the same grow height with a slightly larger canopy. Either way they are smaller than standard and hopefully will be a little easier to keep.

It may be summer 2023 before they make, if then, but they will be ginning in a few days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been a while. Wild Fred and a Cherry tomatoes are blooming. My salvaged Wild Freds ripened, and are ugly as home made soap but they are as good as they are ugly. Can't wait to get these going again.  Mascotte beans were kind of a flop. I have a couple of Blue Lakes going right now. 

Started the garden starters last week, and they are going wild. I hope I can keep them in the starter pods till time to plant in 3-4 weeks. I'd like to put them out in the middle (ish) of April to be sure to avoid out rather normal Easter Freeze, but may have to plant, cover, and hope for the best. We'll see.

Prepped my main hydroponic bed today for this years plants. 

I haven't decided what going into it this year. Last years tomato crop was exceptional. Might do celery again too. That worked out very well the last time I tried it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jmohme said:

Prepped my main hydroponic bed today for this years plants. 

I haven't decided what going into it this year. Last years tomato crop was exceptional. Might do celery again too. That worked out very well the last time I tried it.

My neighbors have started doing some hydroponics.  I have to get over there sometime soon and see how they are setup... 

Well all my starts are up and running, except for the lufa but they say they take a while. Even found a couple of spinach peeking out tonight.

Hope I can last till the last frost date, which seems a bit optimistic, but average is average.  I'll be setting up beds next week and planting raspberries stems and blackberry.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, 6 weeks behind thanks to plumbing issues, taking bids for a bath remodel, and hurting myself. The back injury was mild, but painful. It didn't want to give either.

Man, the bean starts are blooming. Not what I was expecting. Been hardening them for a week(ish) and they should be ready to go out. One more bed to make up. I think my raspberries are dead. The blackberry is leafing. Peach trees are in near full bloom.

We will finish the big bed tomorrow and start planing this weekend. Looks like the frost is done. Had a doozy of a storm the other night though. Glad the young plants didn't have to weather that one.

After planting, I can service the mower before it gets too hot, I hope. Then build the other arches for the garden to climb. They are prefab and go together easy, just take some time and patience.

Beans doing well in the hydroponic, a cherry tomato gone wild in there. I had a Little Fred grow fine, bloomed, the all the buds after never opened. Sterile plant I guess. Will try again, they are great tasting.

My screwed up schedule has got me running late on all my gardening, but we got the main hydroponic bed up and running last week and planted with several varieties of cherry tomatoes. They seem to thrive in that bed. Also got strawberries started in the fence mounted hydro beds.

The float tables we haven't done anything with. Its really too late for them with the heat coming soon.

We did also plow up a fairly large area in the yard. The wife wanted to try an arch made hog wire for cucumbers and other vine type plants. Curious as to how this will work out.

I also that large 25 gallon pots that I am growing my hot peppers in. I am hoping to bring them inside next winter and keep them alive for another season.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Garden went out on April 3, and is doing. Sorry, Mrs.C. I think some of my starer plants are stunted, but weather has been odd for us.

Anyhoo, 3 large wicking containers and a 4X8 raised bed. Arches are up and supporting structure for tomatoes.

Put out a couple raspberry canes, they didn't make it, but the lone blackberry did. I hope we have enough bee traffic to sustain if it starts to bloom, but that will be next year, probably.

Peach trees made it, and have about 3 dozen little peaches on them combines. More than I thought, but still think this is their 3-4th year. Will know more after they grow this year.

Indoors, a cherry tomato is doing very well, nothing tiny about this Tiny Tim, but the tomatoes are good. I have another Wild Fred going, they are hit and miss, the last miss was on me though, used seeds from a fruit I got and they hadn't developed or the plants aren't far enough along in development to do that, but it's summer and things may do better.

• 2 months later...

The garden was a bust. triple digits in May, and relentless wind, along with no rain. 3 inches since February? Even the wicking beds burned up.

I got some tomatoes and enough cucumbers for about 10 pints of B&B pickles that turned out great. Not a bean, a handful of squash, and the lettuce and kale are beat down. Okra isn't even producing.

Will try again at the end of July for a fall garden. Shade cloth is in possession and ready to be deployed, the one that hasn't been, and plans are made. Hope they work out. 

Indoor water garden is chugging along, but protected from temps like this.

366384715_2022-07-0610_58.03www.wunderground.com26eced728d2a.jpg.3d2c65231354f472fed2db79f952e23b.jpg