Testy McTest III

Eric

• Administrators

The site outage earlier was due to me making DNS changes to try to address an email system issue. I fixed the DNS problem, but made the email issue worse. I just fixed it. I wonder what I broke, in the process? Does anyone see see sewage leaking anywhere?

• Administrators
Just now, tous said:

Wouldn't one smell a sewage leak before seeing a sewage leak?  :biggrin:

I hope so. Of course, my **** doesn’t stink, so I wouldn’t know. 

• Haha 1

While we are on the subject, or close enough to it for government work:

I recently updated my Fedora 33 install to Fedora 34.

If you have any experience at all with Red Hat products, you know that one never upgrades, one always does a fresh install of newer versions because  the update process  never works and destroys whatever was there.

I was prepared for the usual  backup, format, install new version, restore process when I decided I would give the update process a shot and ....

Danged if it didn't work.  From 33 to 34 without a problem.

It only took Red Hat 40 years to get it right.

• Haha 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, tous said:

While we are on the subject, or close enough to it for government work:

I recently updated my Fedora 33 install to Fedora 34.

If you have any experience at all with Red Hat products, you know that one never upgrades, one always does a fresh install of newer versions because  the update process  never works and destroys whatever was there.

I was prepared for the usual  backup, format, install new version, restore process when I decided I would give the update process a shot and ....

Danged if it didn't work.  From 33 to 34 without a problem.

It only took Red Hat 40 years to get it right.

I REALLY don’t like Red Hat, or it’s related disto’s. The RPM package system sucks, for one thing. I ran GT on Debian servers and I run TBS on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian. The APT package system is the cat’s ass and there isn’t a bunch of extraneous crap slowing things down. And Debian/Ubuntu don’t try to climb into your back pocket, like Red Hat. 

1 minute ago, Eric said:

I REALLY don’t like Red Hat, or it’s related disto’s. The RPM package system sucks, for one thing. I ran GT on Debian servers and I run TBS on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian. The APT package system is the cat’s ass and there isn’t a bunch of extraneous crap slowing things down. And Debian/Ubuntu don’t try to climb into your back pocket, like Red Hat. 

I hear you, but after 40 years, I am too old and set in my ways to change.  :fred:

I began with Linux and XENIX when Red Hat was the only distro around.  It used to come on one 5 1/4 diskette in the back of Linux books.

NB why did they feel the need to rename yum to dnf?

It's the same utility. :miff:

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Looks like somebody picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue...

Yeah, he wanted to switch to a pastime he could share with his son, so he grabbed a bottle. :biggrin: Seriously though, he found his true home when he discovered comedy. Unfortunately, His son discovered his true home at the bottom of a bottle. He is a hell of an actor though. 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, tous said:

I hear you, but after 40 years, I am too old and set in my ways to change.  :fred:

I began with Linux and XENIX when Red Hat was the only distro around.  It used to come on one 5 1/4 diskette in the back of Linux books.

NB why did they feel the need to rename yum to dnf?

It's the same utility. :miff:

Ubuntu is one hell of a lot easier to install and run than Red Hat and it will run on damned near anything. It is hands-down a better distro.

I was somewhat put off by Ubuntu by their cutesy names for their versions and their hippie philosophy of we are all one, blah, blah, blah.

I want a serious, robust, reliable business product, not a social awareness exercise.

• Administrators
Just now, tous said:

I was somewhat put off by Ubuntu by their cutesy names for their versions and their hippie philosophy of we are all one, blah, blah, blah.

I want a serious, robust, reliable business product, not a social awareness exercise.

Dude, Ubuntu has Debian under the hood. It can wipe its ass with Red Hat. Seriously. Red Hat is just Windows on the DL.

I had Debian on a test server a while back, but never had to time to really get to know it and get accustomed to it.

I shall try again.  It isn't as is I don't have about six old computers in a pile that could easily run a low-demand Linux install.

I never seem to be able to toss a box when it has been superseded; I just add it to the stack, certain that one day, I will need it.

NB if you need documentation for an IBM S360/50, I have it.  I just have trouble throwing anything related to technology out.

I almost bought an IBM 029 keypunch years ago.  I was mine for the taking, but alas, I had no room for it.

Can one still purchase 80-column cards?

:biggrin:

Edited by tous

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, tous said:

I had Debian on a test server a while back, but never had to time to really get to know it and get accustomed to it.

I shall try again.  It isn't as is I don't have about six old computers in a pile that could easily run a low-demand Linux install.

I never seem to be able to toss a box when it has been superseded; I just add it to the stack, certain that one day, I will need it.

NB if you need documentation for an IBM S360/50, I have it.  I just have trouble throwing anything related to technology out.

I almost bought an IBM 029 keypunch years ago.  I was mine for the taking, but alas, I had no room for it.

Can one still purchase 80-column cards?

:biggrin:

For older systems, try Lubuntu. It is a distro that is optimized for older systems. I am running a Samba & backup server on a twelve-year-old E-Machines computer, with an Atom processor and 2gb of RAM. The thing runs beautifully. It is the box I backup the TBS server to locally. 

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Eric said:

For older systems, try Lubuntu. It is a distro that is optimized for older systems. I am running a Samba & backup server on a twelve-year-old E-Machines computer, with an Atom processor and 2gb of RAM. The thing runs beautifully. It is the box I backup the TBS server to locally. 

The only concession I had to make was no software RAID for the 2 2tb drives I installed in it. The processor couldn’t handle the overhead. So one is the working drive and I rsync everything to the second drive, 3 times a day. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, tous said:

It couldn't handle RAID1?

That is about the least demand on resources.

So, you rsync in batches and not dynamically?

It has an Atom processor and only 2gb of RAM. The overhead for even a RAID1 array is a workout for it. Anyway, the server only rsyncs to that box once a day. I only do three rsyncs a day because I keep a lot of personal data on there as well. Manual rsyncs via cron work just fine and I can replace the second drive between the scheduled rsyncs, when I want to. It is in a hot-swap adapter. 

• Like 1

Coincidence?

Had YouTube playing ocean/surf sounds on this iPhone as background for dozing and cat petting. The sound stopped. When I looked at the screen there was a red-boxed message about editor taking a COVID 19 break. And my bookmarks for this and a couple other gun related sites were gone. Unfortunately did not screen print.