Site Outage Today

Eric

• Administrators

Hi folks. At just after 3:11pm today (CST), the server went down. I put in a support ticket with my webhost and the box came back up twenty minutes or so later. I then spent another 25 minutes crawling my log files trying to figure out why the box crashed, before my webhost responded to my ticket and let me know that it was a hardware failure on their end and my box had lost power. So, frustrated by the outage and the unnecessary bug hunt, but glad that the server is back up.

Your TBS tax dollars at work. Carry on.

• Like 2

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

Much of my  "super-emergency"  troubleshooting work is not our equipment's fault.

Did your equipment fail at my data center? Is that what you are telling me? I knew you had to be involved somehow. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A lot of our customers know that our equipment isn't at fault,  and that they are are having major issues in their process.  But Eeee-Pa is very displeased.  So they blame our equipment, "It's F'd up and reading wrong!!!"

So they call us. 

It takes a day to do the paperwork / contract / payment stuff,  and a day for me to be available,  and a day for my travel,  and I'm on site for a day.

I go through and test, clean, calibrate, and verify our stuff.  It's working just fine.

But by then,  they've had four or five days to repair their factory.  And, TADA!, everything is right in-permit now!

I know this.  They know this.  But it's not my job to be a narc,  so I just report that I went through everything and recalibrated everything and all is reading correctly now.

and I don't bust on their regular maintenance employees when they mess-up.

"We've done everything five times!  And had your tech-support on the line for three days!  It still doesn't work!"

"Well...   look...  This 3' wide pipe is 100% plugged up."

"ooh.  I didn't look in there."

I just report that I cleaned and calibrated everything and it's working fine now.

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

A lot of our customers know that our equipment isn't at fault,  and that they are are having major issues in their process.  But Eeee-Pa is very displeased.  So they blame our equipment, "It's F'd up and reading wrong!!!"

So they call us. 

It takes a day to do the paperwork / contract / payment stuff,  and a day for me to be available,  and a day for my travel,  and I'm on site for a day.

I go through and test, clean, calibrate, and verify our stuff.  It's working just fine.

But by then,  they've had four or five days to repair their factory.  And, TADA!, everything is right in-permit now!

I know this.  They know this.  But it's not my job to be a narc,  so I just report that I went through everything and recalibrated everything and all is reading correctly now.

People are a pain in the ass. The more of them you can remove from any given process, the more smoothly it will run. I could replace everyone here with simple shell scripts and this place would purr like a kitten. :biggrin:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eric said:

I could replace everyone here with simple shell scripts and this place would purr like a kitten. :biggrin:

# stdin replaced with a file ban supplied as a first argument

exec < $1

# remember the anything he says

in=$1

# init

file="kid_huaco"current_line.txt"

let count=0

while read LINE

ban

((count++))

echo $LINE > $file

if [ huaco=ban -ne 0 ]