First steps

Al Czervik

IMHO ...  if you just want to play a bit get a cheap chinese radio.. IE  baofeng, anytone etc.   If you have experience, save a bit and get a "Good" japanese or American radio. Monitor for a bit and get to know your radio and the local repeaters.

To speak on the radio you are required to take an FCC test.  There are free books online you can save to your device and study when you can.

I used this one   https://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/2018-no-nonsense-tech-study-guide-v1-1.pdf  

There are also free test question sites you can use.   This is just one of them  https://hamexam.org/

The ARRL has started to put out a new magazine that is directed at the new or newly returning ham.  You must be a member to receive this though.  Many will argue against or for the ARRL membership but I think it ios worth the membership just for their publications.

Hope this helps a bit.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2021 at 10:19 PM, Al Czervik said:

So, I'm game for getting into HAM.  I have experience in aviation VHF, public safety bands, etc. 

Thinking a handheld, followed at some point with a base station.  Pointers, anyone?

Al, sorry i missed this one.

This is a wonderful hobby.   You could take as many of the tests in one day as you want.  Tech, General and even the Extra.    You really only need a General class license to be heard around the world.

Hand held radios are interesting but generally limited to under 10 watts of power.  So you'll want to know about local repeaters.   I've had one in my truck for a long time and get a number of contacts over the years in all kinds of cities with it.  

But with general class I have worked the world on HF digital modes.

If want an inexpensive hand held to start with try a Baofeng.    The darn things just work.  You can get one for less than $60.   Get an extended antenna and now you have 3 DB gain.  I know a guy who runs a local net with one and he lives about 8 miles from the repeater. 

Just don't spend too much getting started.   I run dipole antennas rated at about 100W max.  So there's no point to me having an amplifier and 1500W of power.  A $5,000 radio would be lost of my antennas.   A $1600 may be lost on mine as well. 

If you want a VHF base...that is interesting the Yeasu FT100 works in FUSION (interesting VOIP system) as well as 50 watts out   With a high antenna you could work some distance.     If you want just 144mhz then the Yeasu 2980 is a sledgehammer at 80 watts total.   If you lived on top of a mountain with a decent antenna you could own 100 miles with that radio

I regularly talk to be 40 and 50 miles away with mine.  And that's with a home made antenna.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Historian said:

Al, sorry i missed this one.

This is a wonderful hobby.   You could take as many of the tests in one day as you want.  Tech, General and even the Extra.    You really only need a General class license to be heard around the world.

Hand held radios are interesting but generally limited to under 10 watts of power.  So you'll want to know about local repeaters.   I've had one in my truck for a long time and get a number of contacts over the years in all kinds of cities with it.  

But with general class I have worked the world on HF digital modes.

If want an inexpensive hand held to start with try a Baofeng.    The darn things just work.  You can get one for less than $60.   Get an extended antenna and now you have 3 DB gain.  I know a guy who runs a local net with one and he lives about 8 miles from the repeater. 

Just don't spend too much getting started.   I run dipole antennas rated at about 100W max.  So there's no point to me having an amplifier and 1500W of power.  A $5,000 radio would be lost of my antennas.   A $1600 may be lost on mine as well. 

If you want a VHF base...that is interesting the Yeasu FT100 works in FUSION (interesting VOIP system) as well as 50 watts out   With a high antenna you could work some distance.     If you want just 144mhz then the Yeasu 2980 is a sledgehammer at 80 watts total.   If you lived on top of a mountain with a decent antenna you could own 100 miles with that radio

I regularly talk to be 40 and 50 miles away with mine.  And that's with a home made antenna.

Cool, thanks!  I will check it out.

On 1/22/2021 at 10:27 AM, GT4494 said:

IMHO ...  if you just want to play a bit get a cheap chinese radio.. IE  baofeng,

Why would you suggest products made in China at all, after all they have done to this country?!

OP: get at least a Japanese made radio, as long as we have a choice!

Edited by crockett

1 hour ago, crockett said:

Why would you suggest products made in China at all, after all they have done to this country?!

OP: get at least a Japanese made radio, as long as we have a choice!

Don't know what his budget is.  

I also recommended some Japanese radios.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Historian said:

Don't know what his budget is.  

I also recommended some Japanese radios.

The idea is to save a little and get quality made anywhere but China. This need for  instant gratification caused our manufacturers to outsource to countries like China in order to compete for cheap prices instnstead of long lasting quality. Instant gratification also pushes so many into all the debt traps. If you can't afford a $300 or $400 radio over some junk from China, you have bigger issues lingering. Debt is not sustainable in the long run, on private and national level.

Edited by crockett

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 2:44 PM, crockett said:

The idea is to save a little and get quality made anywhere but China. This need for  instant gratification caused our manufacturers to outsource to countries like China in order to compete for cheap prices instnstead of long lasting quality. Instant gratification also pushes so many into all the debt traps. If you can't afford a $300 or $400 radio over some junk from China, you have bigger issues lingering. Debt is not sustainable in the long run, on private and national level.

I'll give you your wish list $600 Kenwood HT and I'll use an $11 dollar BF888 and gurantee you won't be able to tell the difference.  You may want to take a breath.  While I prefer Japanese products I'm under no false illusion that just because it's from China that it's junk.

Edited by syntaxerrorsix

1 hour ago, syntaxerrorsix said:

I'll give you your wish list $600 Kenwood HT and I'll use an $11 dollar BF888 and gurantee you won't be able to tell the difference.  You may want to take a breath. 

Wtf. Do you want me to take apart both radios, reverse engineer them in my e-lab down to the signal processing in every IC there may be, and tell YOU exactly what the differences are in the components, circuit design, integrated software and why one is far superior over the other? And I don't even need my MEng degree in electronics for that.

1.jpg

Do me a favor and stay out of my thread, because I don't listen to fools.

1 minute ago, syntaxerrorsix said:

You just don't know what you don't know.

Enjoy your $600 HT..... fool indeed.

FYI, this isn't your thread.

Yeah, Mr. Roof manufacturer, trying to to talk down on someone for wanting to buy a quality product over $11 garbage. **** off.

Just now, crockett said:

Yeah, Mr. Roof manufacturer, trying to to talk down on someone for wanting to buy a quality product over $11 garbage. **** off.

You really have no idea what you are getting into.  But go ahead and get that discontinued $600 radio.  You may not want to throw around credentials if that's the sort of mindset you have towards electronic gear you know very little about.  Sure would be funny if a simple roof tech knew more about something than a dude with a fancy sheepskin now wouldn't it?

12 minutes ago, syntaxerrorsix said:

You really have no idea what you are getting into.  But go ahead and get that discontinued $600 radio.  You may not want to throw around credentials if that's the sort of mindset you have towards electronic gear you know very little about.  Sure would be funny if a simple roof tech knew more about something than a dude with a fancy sheepskin now wouldn't it?

Is KM4HAG your call sign? I've seen your Baofeng setup and it explains why you took offense when somebody that you don't even know dislikes China crap. Congrats for getting triggered on a none-personal post that had zero to do with you, and trying to make a point by talking somebody down who shows interest in HAM. I'm sure that's exactly what the dwindling HAM community needs!

You got your license just in 2015 and think that gives you the right to tell people what hardware is worthwhile and what not? You don't don't own the TH-D74A yet you try to pass knowledge on it. I don't have much knowledge on HAM, but I sure do know a lot more about electronics than you do. I just read up on a few forums, tells me all I need to know.

Keeping buy that cheap crap from China. America is proud of you.

1 minute ago, crockett said:

Is KM4HAG your call sign? I've seen your Baofeng setup and it explains why you took offense when somebody that you don't even know dislikes China crap. Congrats for getting triggered on a none-personal post that had zero to do with you, and trying to make a point by talking somebody down who shows interest in HAM. I'm sure that's exactly what the dwindling HAM community needs!

You got your license just in 2015 and think that gives you the right to tell people what hardware is worthwhile and what not? You don't don't own the TH-D74A yet you try to pass knowledge on it. I don't have much knowledge on HAM, but I sure do know a lot more about electronics than you do. I just read up on a few forums, tells me all I need to know.

Keeping buy that cheap crap from China. America is proud of you.

You haven't seen any Baofeng setup of mine. You keep trying though.

I could list all of the radios I have but it wouldn't mean anything to you because you have no idea about the history of any of them or what they do.

That's the point I'm trying to impart but you just want to be hostile.  It's cute really.

• Eric locked this topic