Having fun in the Snow

We once took my daughter to the place (North Park!) on the golf course,  to the famous sled hill,  where I had been as a kid.  It was crowded.

My wife went down first... five or ten feet.  Skid halt.  Five or ten feet.  Skid halt.....

All the way down.  Safe, sticky snow.

I put my daughter (five years old?) on her sled.  Gave her a push.

Two hundred miles per hour.  Mach I.  Light speed...

She hit the bottom, 100 yards down, at re-entry speed,  and Mom was playing goalie...  but missed.

After the leveling-off spot,  at warp-speed,  she hit a bunch of shrub and trees piled up,  did a magnificent triple-back flip,  and her and the sled disappeared over the cliff.

Every parent down there started running.

By the time I got down there,  they were bringing her up,  totally unhurt.  But we were instantly bad parents.

The first snowball we rolled was only as big as two or three cars.  It was in the street.  So,  for no reason,  we rolled it, downhill,  into Bill Douchemeyers front porch.  (that might've been his real name.  or really close.)

Mr. Douchemeyer came out and asked why.  It was bigger than his porch,  and squooshed all into it.  We just said we were going to make a snowman in his yard,  and it got away from us.  He rolled with it.

The next snowball took three neighborhood's worth of kids to roll.  It was a big as a house.  And when that's all you can do,  we rolled it down someone's backyard.

It was a, magnificently slow, wet, rolling giant.  It got at the bottom and collapsed under it's own weight.  I think it even made a noise.

So we stompped all over it and made a jump-ramp. 

It went from, steep-downhill-to-45 degrees in 15'.

It was a multi-neighborhood accomplishment,  so there were 100 kids digging it.

COOL Thread man!!  LOVE lookin at it from down here in Florida!!!  Just walkin around with the weight of all that clothing would friggin Kill me!!!:biggrin:  I skied Mt. Fuji in 66...That's the last time I enjoyed winter. That's where I met my wife, so...that's the only thing good I got to say about friggin snow.

I had a Ski-Bob,  from the Sears catalog.  It was a bicycle frame with skis on it.  It went like Lightning!  Always!

It was the fastest thing!  Evar!  One of the best toys I ever had.

It weighed .2 ounces.  So carrying it up was easy.

John Bumbaugh decided to take the snowball with the ski bob.    It was a pretty steep backyard.

He hit it at maximum velocity,  and, actually, made Evel Knievel distance....

With 100 kids watching!

And Landed It!!!!!!

But, alas,  the handlebars snapped off at the gooseneck,  and as he was thrusting forward (just like Evel!, in slow motion) he hit his arm on the jagged metal,  from his wrist, to his elbow.

We don't know where the Bob went,  but John still had the handlebars in his hands when he got up.

There was a lot of blood.

I think his dad took him to the hospital.

We still had the snowball jump-ramp for months.

I think I got my handlebars welded again,  in time for next year.

Tim had a sled (from the Sears catalog),  I forget it's name (Sno-Bob?)

It was a sit-down thing,  about the size of,  and shaped like a jon-boat.  It weighed 400 lbs.  It had two skid-steer handles.

On a long smooth downhill,  it would beat my ski-bike every time.  By 1000 yards.  Kind of like a tank,  with Gulf-wax all over the bottom.  If you should hit a barn,  the sled would win.

But I could carry my bike back up with one finger.  It took a week to get his back up.

4 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

Tim had a sled (from the Sears catalog),  I forget it's name (Sno-Bob?)

It was a sit-down thing,  about the size of,  and shaped like a jon-boat.  It weighed 400 lbs.  It had two skid-steer handles.

On a long smooth downhill,  it would beat my ski-bike every time.  By 1000 yards.  Kind of like a tank,  with Gulf-wax all over the bottom.  If you should hit a barn,  the sled would win.

But I could carry my bike back up with one finger.  It took a week to get his back up.

I had a Flexible flyer.  I also had a "Saucer"...One ride... I got rid of That thing

Stearin that Flyer, with the front "forks" and draggin my boots..."Driftin"...heh, heh, heh...

Vintage Flexible Flyer Sled Model # F048

• Like 2

I got my Flexible Flyer from selling Christmas cards and gardening-seeds from the back of a comic book.

Selling the cards and seeds,  in the middle of freezing-*******-cold,  all over the freezing-stinking-mountains,  was easy.  In winter. At, I'm like, in elementary school.

Easy-peasy.  I'm gettin a mini-bike!

But... 

actually collecting the money from all the old house-wife biddies,  is the hard part.

Then,  the comic-book company gets all pissey,  and it all comes out of your pocket.

I never got that mini bike.

• Like 1