Meanwhile, in Russia

blueiron

SecDef McNamara failed to understand why the DoD needed so many aircraft, so he initiated the TFX program back in the 1960s. The airframe was the soon to be FB-111. The Navy hated it because it was too large, didn't fit in the existing carrier hangar elevators, and was a fuel hog. Even the USAF realized that it was as much a true fighter as a a station wagon was a Funny Car contender in the 1/4 mile.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, janice6 said:

Nah!  She's used to me.  We have a "relationship".

Just got back from sending the wife and daughters and granddaughters for a manicure and pedicure, I paid for everyone.  They had a good time together.

Sounds like that's how you got out of trouble. ?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, blueiron said:

SecDef McNamara failed to understand why the DoD needed so many aircraft, so he initiated the TFX program back in the 1960s. The airframe was the soon to be FB-111. The Navy hated it because it was too large, didn't fit in the existing carrier hangar elevators, and was a fuel hog. Even the USAF realized that it was as much a true fighter as a a station wagon was a Funny Car contender in the 1/4 mile.

It was a laugh in the A/C industry when Congress decided that one plane was going to go to all three services.  Everyone knew that the needs of the three services was completely different, and we knew we were going to build three different A/C, but with a similar designation.

When this was the order of the day, the quantity cost reduction went all to hell, since instead of three times the same aircraft, we were to build three different A/C, with three different sets of avionics and three different tasks. 

Thus we built 1/3 as many of the same aircraft for each service, and the cost went up due to less planes of the same design. 

The airframe isn't the big cost in the aircraft, it's the dedicated avionics for the specific mission that's the biggest cost.

Congress is the name for a group of orangutans.  The Congress of the United States is made up of the dumbest creatures, with only their personal interests being served.  Idiots, all.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2020 at 5:12 PM, blueiron said:

I honestly think that the F-35 is one of the ugliest fighter planes made. It is only marginally better than the Boeing JSF, aka as the "pregnant pelican".

image.png.3ebf1442c76fdd620d1993898415827a.png

I don't like high maintenance women either. Like any X-plane, they suddenly fly when they see a much bigger wallet.

I hold a very strong dislike for the 35. We should have a horde of 22s, instead.