Best of intention Beer Brand pulled from bar

TBO

A bar in Connecticut has pulled a beer from its lineup after customers complained that the bottle looked like a Ku Klux Klan hood. According to the beer’s brewer (in Sweden), however, the bottle was actually designed to denounce racism.

In a post that was shared to Facebook on Saturday, a woman explained how her husband, a Black man, was sold the beer with no warning about the design on the bottle.

“This is the $40 bottle of beer that was promoted and presented to my black husband and his white friend tonight at World of Beer. After researching it at home, we discovered that it was ‘created to denounce racism… promote open-mindedness… packaged in paper deliberately to denounce organizations like the KKK,'" the post read.

"None of this was explained to Damion or his friend. This KKK bottle was brought over without warning about its appearance. At best, the server was ignorant, insensitive and tone-deaf. At worst…?”

The Yellow Belly beer is made by Swedish brewery Omnipollo and Buxton Brewery in the U.K., the Hartford Courant reports.

On the Omnipollo website, the beer is described as “a collaborative effort together with our good friends – and world-class brewers – at Buxton Brewery (UK). Yellow Belly — a person who is without courage, fortitude, or nerve; a coward. To us, one of the most cowardly deeds is to act anonymously, hiding behind a group. A signifying trait of institutionalized racism. This beer is brewed to celebrate all things new, open-minded and progressive. A peanut butter biscuit stout with no biscuits, butter or nuts. Taste, enjoy, and don’t be prejudiced.”

World of Beer responded to the woman's Facebook post, stating that Yellow Belly has been pulled “from further sale.”

“Please accept our apologies for the lapse in judgment in serving. While we can't speak for the intent of the brewer, the visual representation does not have a place at our establishment. We appreciate you bringing it to our attention and welcome the opportunity for discussion," an official for World of Beer commented.

YellowBelly.jpg.ffa3b83e8b60f152bddcf31ed5ddbfe5.jpg

========================================================================================

I guess Sweden either doesn't have much in the way of marketing research for the USA based on the USA, or they don't have an issue at home with easily offended customers. :dunno:

Edited by TBO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Reverend Al is flying to Sweden with Dollar signs in his Eyes as we speak.

Flying Private, of course..

i like how somehow the Server is supposed to know a Strangers 'Trigger levels"..

any server i know would be like "shut up, you just paid $40 for a Beer, Fool"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A peanut butter biscuit stout with no biscuits, butter or nuts.

Awww hell no....just because you CAN brew that crap...does not mean you should!

Beer should taste like beer.

Some people have no respect for beer or themselves.

Edited by Historian
  • Thanks 3

I've been brewing my own for 20 years.

I have never, been so drunk, so confused, some disoriented, that I would even consider making that beer.

In fact, if i thought i should make that beer...

I'd go see my priest and tell him i had sin on my mind.

If i did it:  If I brewed that beer.  I would seek salvation by joining a religious order and taking a vow of silence....so i could never admit to anyone again...the nature of my sin.

Edited by Historian

A peanut butter biscuit stout with no biscuits, butter or nuts.
Awww hell no....just because you CAN brew that crap...does not mean you should!
Beer should taste like beer.
Some people have no respect for beer or themselves.
Hey, at least it didn't have fruit. :tbo:

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

9 hours ago, TBO said:

Hey, at least it didn't have fruit. :tbo:

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

And i have read this in some Christian scripture.

"And the only fruit flavored beer shall be made by Belgians...and it shall be Lambic."

The rest are sad imitations.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2