Found Great Deal on Gen 3 G-19 Today

Eric

• Administrators

I was in Sherman, Texas today, with my brother and nephew. We were cruising the local pawn shops, looking for deals on stuff to resell. Tools & diagnostic equipment mostly.

Anyway, we ran across a pawn shop/gun shop that we hadn't been to before. The place is called BPS Guns, http://bpsguns.com/ . Sherman is a small town and we don't run across a lot of pawn shops that can truly be considered a gun shop in its own right, in towns of any size. This place is the exception though. They had a huge selection of guns and knives, including a lot of stuff that I don't typically see in the gun shops of a big metroplex like DFW. The prices were also very competitive. They were as inexpensive or even more so than comparable gun stores in DFW, Houston, etc.

These folks had an impressive spread of new and used firearms and I enjoyed looking around, but I hadn't intended to purchase anything, until I found a glass cabinet on the end of an aisle, with quite a few used pistols. In addition to quite a few other pistols of various flavors, they had 4 used Gen 3 Glocks, a G-31, 2 G19s and a G-23, all priced at $350 each. I ended up buying one of the G-19s. The pistol had been  well-oiled by the previous owner and then shot without cleaning, so it was pretty dirty inside. The pistol seemed to be in great shape though. I cleaned it when I got it home and the pistol looks like a new gun. There are no scratches or blemishes and no wear marks in the finish, in the places that tend to wear when the pistol has put a few rounds down-range.

The pistol is in outstanding shape and the price was really great. The folks we dealt with there were friendly and helpful as well. In the coming giveaways we have here, like the Gen5 Glock 19 we just gave away this evening, there will be many other firearms and such given away and after the experience we had there today, I think we will be driving up to Sherman to deal with the folks at BPS guns. The service, selection and prices are worth the drive. I didn't intend for this to come out sounding like an add for these guys, but I was really happy with the experience there today and I wanted to give the folks there a shout out. If you live in the DFW area, it is worth the drive to go check this place out. I believe they sell online as well, through their website.

IMG_3079.thumb.jpg.cdb28d83a18bad8519e8f1fc915fc266.jpg

IMG_3080.thumb.jpg.9b88c712e0bd3f5da86ab84cc31bd151.jpg

IMG_3081.thumb.jpg.1fe5e7b6ff5f06053ebf91c904b2b718.jpg

• Like 7

• Administrators

I just received a set of Meprolight night sights that  I ordered for it. I went with a green dot on the front sight and orange dots on the rear sight. I haven't used this combination before and I'm curious to see how I like them, in the dark.

It seems like a good idea. The green dots are brighter, so the front sight will stand out more, and the orange rear dots will mean that it won't be possible to accidentally line up the front and rear dots incorrectly.

It might not seem like something that could realistically happen, getting the front dot lined up on the outside of one rear dot or the other. I've fired at night quite a bit and an error like that can can easily happen, if you don't some training in low/no light shooting. Aiming in the dark can be a bit disorienting. I usually bring the pistol on target with the front sight a bit above the rears. Once I have the front dot on target, I bring the back dots up. Having the two different colors of dots should eliminate the possibility of this sort of error occurring though. 

IMG_2268.thumb.PNG.09aa9d17e19d3c603431b83f468cf7d8.PNG

• Like 1

• Administrators

Well, the USPS managed to deliver my night sights to the wrong person and it took the better part of a week to bug them into tracking them down, but I received them this afternoon. It took about fifteen minutes to install them. I was on hold 1 hour and 20 minutes, when I filed the claim with USPS. I really hate having to deal with bureaucracies like that. All's well that ends well though, I guess. I love the sites.

• Administrators

After checking out the night sights in low and no light, I find that I really like the orange rear/green front configuration. The green front sight is very bright. The orange rear dots are less so, but still very visible. They serve to emphasize the front sight and make it easy to keep it centered. I am going to stick with this configuration, from now on.

• Like 1