'Gun' Magazines, The Paperbacks

OldSchool64

For me it was Guns & Ammo. The 40 S&W was a new round and the two 44 Specials worthy of review were Rossi and Charter Arms.

Then, Concealed Carry was alright too. And then, there was a newspaper type publication with reviews and articles of CCW'ers and police doing some good in the world.

Now, guess it's time to breakout the tablet and kick back and relax.....

One of my favorite paperbacks was a ~4" thick catalog from LGS. Still have it too. :)

When starting out I spent hours studying ballistic charts and researching the hand guns available in a particular round. The 41 Mag always intrigued me.

Edited by *OldSchool*

Guns & Ammo, Shooting Times, American Handgunner. I'd get them when my Dad was done with them, and take them to school and read. Study hall was less boring with interesting subject matter on hand. 

Now days I barely can them. I don't find them interesting anymore. Just boring old **** rehashed over and over. 

Have been a loyal American Handgunner subscriber for decades.  Liked Soldier of Fortune, back in the day.  The stories of epic battles against the forces of evil in Afghanistan, Africa, and South America were intriguing.  Combat Handguns is also pretty good for light reading, and any magazine with Massad Ayoob in the middle and Jeff Cooper bringing up the rear is good in my book.

• 1 month later...

Back in 1989 I picked up a newsstand issue of Guns and Ammo for the lever action spotlight that did.  I subscribed and became a voracious reader of all things firearm related.  Next I found Gun Test magazine and was a follower of them for 5 years or so.  I would wait in earnest for the next months edition to arrive.  Periodically, I would buy a copy of something else just to see coverage from another perspective.  

Around about 2004, I noticed a change for the worse in the quality of the writing.  Digital pics look so flat.  I failed to renew any subscriptions after then.

I may pick up a copy of Guns, Shotgun News or something else a couple of times a year.  I really don't miss it. 

Too much better quality stuff on Youtube and other websites now to be bothered by print media.

Edited by Vikingsoftpaw