Trayvon II: Ahmaud Arbery

PPQer

The case made its way through three prosecutors in the past 2½ months without any arrests or charges. The first two prosecutors recused themselves because of connections to the office where Gregory McMichael, now retired, worked as an investigator. A third prosecutor recommended this week that the case go to a grand jury, but it was unlikely that a trial would begin until at least mid-June, with courts closed due to the coronavirus.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/georgia-investigates-person-who-filmed-ahmaud-arbery-shooting-11588956106

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pistolay said:

Have you ever done that? I have, many times when I was younger. Buildings under construction that are still open are very interesting to look at, especially for young guys. When I was in my teens and early 20s, my friends and I couldn't walk by open construction without checking it out.

And what does that have to do with anything? Those guys were looking for someone who was breaking and entering. I seriously doubt that Arbery was casing a building that was still open construction. 

Of course most of us have explored construction sites.  There is nothing wrong with that.  There was mention somewhere that there was video of someone stealing, and not just going through a construction site.  But then again, what if contractors were reporting theft on construction sites?  I was in construction in the 80's and the contractor I worked for would setup a lock on a closet to store the tools.  Everything he had got stolen off that site.  That is a big score for somebody like Arbery who is looking for stuff to steal.  I can't know what was in Arbery's mind, but if another poster can pretend to know what was in the shooters mind, then so can I.

The father being an investigator could have known that the way Arbery was acting was casing activity.   

Edited by PPQer

Of course most of us have explored construction sites.  There is nothing wrong with that.  There was mention somewhere that there was video of someone stealing, and not just going through a construction site.  But then again, what if contractors were reporting theft on construction sites?  I was in construction in the 80's and the contractor I worked for would setup a lock on a closet to store the tools.  Everything he had got stolen off that site.  That is a big score for somebody like Arbery who is looking for stuff to steal.  I can't know what was in Arbery's mind, but if another poster can pretend to know what was in the shooters mind, then so can I.
The father being an investigator could have known that the way Arbery was acting was casing activity.   

I belive the mention about video was "going through back yards", not stealing.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

When I was little,  we lived at the end of civilization in the 'burbs.  We used to do weekend "camping" in the semi-built houses.

(There were so many houses being built, that we had 50 treehouses.  We didn't even have to steal the good stuff,  there was enough scrap wood from the piles and dumpsters, and enough spilled nails to go around.)  (and we had shingled roofs)

Just now, TBO said:

I belive the mention about video was "going through back yards", not stealing.

I didn't see if you replied to my early query, but I would be interested to know your thoughts as to why the shooter wasn't arrested right after the incident.  Could it really be the good old boy thing.      

https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/equality/496722-i-just-need-to-know-what-hes-doing-wrong-two-911-calls-made

During the 911 calls, the callers, who have yet to be identified, reported seeing a man in a house under construction along Satilla Drive. The caller said the person was not breaking and entering, as the home was under construction. The caller then says that the man was “running down the street.”
The 911 dispatcher notably says to the caller, “I just need to know what he was doing wrong,” and asked if he was trespassing. 
Between inaudible sentences, the caller says: “he’s been caught on camera a bunch at night. It’s kind of an ongoing thing. The man building the house has got heart issues. I think he’s not going to finish it.”

The dispatcher then asks for a confirmation of the man’s description, to which the caller replies “White T-shirt. Black guy, white T-shirt. He’s done run into the neighborhood again.”
The call ends with redacted privacy information about the caller, but a second call to 911 came in at 1:14 pm. 
“I’m out here at Satilla Shores,” the second caller begins and proceeds to state that, “There’s a black male running down the street.”
The man allegedly shouts “Stop!” several times, with the call going silent for several minutes. 

The audio calls into question the McMichael’s statements that Arbery was a burglary suspect who had been caught on cameras multiple times. The Brunswick News notes that per county police reports, only one burglary was filed between Jan.1 and Feb. 23: an automobile burglary involving a Smith & Wesson pistol stolen on Jan.1 from a pickup truck outside of Travis McMichael’s Satilla Drive home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Historian said:

Ok, i read this.  What does GBI know that it can make an arrest?

They have to.  Amidst the public outcry, they must.  It's been that way for years.

Edited by Wrango

2 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

I’m not sure what you think that proves? 

36 hours after GBI got involved they had arrest warrants out for the shooters.

If anything, that letter being written in April kind of indicates the mother may have been onto something.

Their own 911 call they admit they hadn’t seen him doing anything wrong, and the only reports of thefts in the area seem to come from the shooter himself.

Did you read it?  I'm guessing not OR you somehow glossed over the prior convictions/mental illness part.  Like I said, the WHITE guys are gonna hang so that should make you happy.

14 minutes ago, Wrango said:

Did you read it?  I'm guessing not OR you somehow glossed over the prior convictions/mental illness part.  Like I said, the WHITE guys are gonna hang so that should make you happy.

But again, they even told 911 that he’d done nothing wrong. They literally said it wasn’t B&E. 

There had been no recent history of break ins. 

He was known to jog in that specific neighborhood. 

It’s not about wanting to see white guys hang. 

It’s about wanting to see murderers hang. 

Same reason I wanted to see Nidal Hassan or Timothy McVeigh swing and why I want to see Gerald Goines hang. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AK_Stick said:

But again, they even told 911 that he’d done nothing wrong. They literally said it wasn’t B&E. 

Same reason I wanted to see Nidal Hassan or Timothy McVeigh swing and why I want to see Gerald Goines hang. 

Are you sure that you don’t just want to kill whiteys?  Oops, I meant these two fine, upstanding and God-fearing citizens. 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, AK_Stick said:

All circumstantial.  But ok.

23 minutes ago, Wrango said:

All circumstantial.  But ok.

I think you’re using words you don’t understand. 

By their own admission to the 911 operator they had no right, or cause to detain this man. 

Atleast one source now is indicating that the police were considering charges and the DA squashed it, and GBI arrested them 36 hours after they opened the case. 

I don’t know how you’re spinning this to look anything but intentional, but it takes some serious gymnastics. 

I didn't see if you replied to my early query, but I would be interested to know your thoughts as to why the shooter wasn't arrested right after the incident.  Could it really be the good old boy thing.      
That would call for speculation, which I'm generally reserved on engaging in (preferring to stick to facts, law, and logic).

That said, the initial investigation has the appearance of favoritism toward the father/son team. And I mean it literally, the appearance, as in we don't have a solid factual basis. The appearance can be troubling enough.

The short of it is the Dad was close with the initial prosecutor/office.
It probably would have been best to farm the initial charging decision to a neighboring jurisdiction (to avoid the appearance of favoritism).

That didn't happen, and eventually we had the 1st and then 2nd prosecutor recuse themselves...... which for one thing stretches things out again as each new prosecutor has to review the entire case and evidence... which adds to the negative appearance (taking more time. Time is cumulative, it's not looked at by the public as different phases or chapters, just how long from the shooting to the resolution).

Hope that makes sense.

Trying to do many things at once tonight, never works well. :tbo:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Wrango said:

He doesn't live in the area and yeah it's what "they said".  I'd like to know if Arbery has a record, not that it matters now and I'd like to know just how far Arbery was "jogging" away from his home.  Was he the one on the earlier security camera footage?  Like I said in my first post, no-one in this sad saga did anything right and a guy's dead because of it.  If he had been white, I doubt anyone would've heard about it or would care.  Notice that all the alphabet liberal "rights" groups are all over this.  That's a sure sign that something's wrong and it's usually not what the alphabet group says is wrong.  That's been my experience with this crap.

We'll see.

Nothing in your post calls for a shooting

• Like 2

I think there was a lot of dumb that day.  Two wannabe cops chased a guy and made him dead.  One "jogger" could have done a Forrest Gump 90 degree turn, but chose to charge a shotgun.

While there is much speculation, we don't yet know all the details, but the two living guys should buy some anal expanders.  They are going to need them.

• Like 1

Interesting read. People have heard differing stories which may be driven by choice of news source, or maybe geography? Locally it's "Because he resembled a person seen doing breaking and entering in the area recently."

The "Attempted citizens arrest" story would be better had he been carrying a TV or maybe a womens jewelry. Had it been from a construction site a stack of lumber or a few sheets of plywood (Do they still make plywood?).

3 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

I think there was a lot of dumb that day.  Two wannabe cops chased a guy and made him dead.  One "jogger" could have done a Forrest Gump 90 degree turn, but chose to charge a shotgun.

While there is much speculation, we don't yet know all the details, but the two living guys should buy some anal expanders.  They are going to need them.

To be fair, if you really think they’re out to kill you, running from a long gun in that situation is basically giving them a perfect shot. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AK_Stick said:

To be fair, if you really think they’re out to kill you, running from a long gun in that situation is basically giving them a perfect shot. 

Well, what he did was was fatal, was it not?  I'd say that was a bad choice.  It couldn't have been worse.

What is not yet evident is at what point, or for how long did the "jogger" know he was being chased.  If I knew a couple yahoos were chasing me with guns, I'm going to be ducking, weaving, and putting buildings, fences, dog houses, trees, outhouses, whorehouses, combines, tractors, moonshine stills, water towers, and the briar patch between me and them at my first thought of bad stuff happening to me at their hands.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paul53 said:

The "Attempted citizens arrest" story would be better had he been carrying a TV or maybe a womens jewelry. Had it been from a construction site a stack of lumber or a few sheets of plywood (Do they still make plywood?).

"What do you call a black guy running down the street..... ?"

• Eric locked this topic