Making your own masks

SC Tiger

On 4/6/2020 at 6:26 PM, janice6 said:

I remember the story about how Howard Hughes designed a structural support bra for jane Russell. 

Back way back in my college days in a drafting class we got a lecture about how designing a bra was like designing bridge supports.  Complete with pictures.  Needless to say for an 8:30am class we were wide awake for that one.  Yes there were a couple of young women in the class.  They rolled with it.

Today he would probably be fired.  We did learn about different bra styles and the support design.  One of the classes I will always remember.  I think there were bridges mentioned somewhere along the line.

Dave..

Edited by DrB
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DrB said:

Back way back in my college days in a drafting class we got a lecture about how designing a bra was like designing bridge supports.  Complete with pictures.  Needless to say for an 8:30am class we were wide awake for that one.  Yes there were a couple of young women in the class.  They rolled with it.

Today he would probably be fired.  We did learn about different bra styles and the support design.  One of the classes I will always remember.  I think there were bridges mentioned somewhere along the line.

Dave..

I joke about bras because of the sophomoric person I am, BUT!  I agree whole heartedly in you assessment of it being a mechanical engineering problem.

In my work for my company as a military contractor, we used finite element analysis for many structural problems associated with military tactical hardware.  I would think that with the reasonable pricing of commercial software, this would be a real application.
Because, along with the structural support problem ( I love to think of it as a cantilever design) you have to also consider the comfort of the user, which in turn places severe limits the available structural materials. 

37 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I joke about bras because of the sophomoric person I am, BUT!  I agree whole heartedly in you assessment of it being a mechanical engineering problem.

In my work for my company as a military contractor, we used finite element analysis for many structural problems associated with military tactical hardware.  I would think that with the reasonable pricing of commercial software, this would be a real application.
Because, along with the structural support problem ( I love to think of it as a cantilever design) you have to also consider the comfort of the user, which in turn places severe limits the available structural materials. 

That is exactly what he was talking about.  What a great way to get your attention to learn...  A very cool class.....  The young women would ask some questions that would make a sailor blush.  Without a blink, he gave design comparisons.

Later on I had a machining course with these same women.  I was their lab partner, most were 2 person teams.  Nope me with those two.  That is a story for another thread I may tell some day...

Dave..

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

I worked for a defense contractor.  We were allowed to play with the microfiche during lunch.

The specs and testing requirement for mil-spec condoms were, like, 75 pages.

Sophomoric, indeed.

(and tampons.  it was more than we wanted to know.) 

• Haha 1