Mississippi Officer Shot In Head After Gunman Pulls Up To Traffic Stop

TBO

"He moved to the right and I’m of the opinion, and we’ll know more when we talk to him, that the reason he did this was to get those two people out of potential line of fire. And there was fire and they were not hurt,” District Attorney John Champion said."

that is good training right there, get off the X and put himself out there and draw fire to protect the Civilians.

Prayers and best Wishes for a full Recovery and Promotion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, holyjohnson said:

"He moved to the right and I’m of the opinion, and we’ll know more when we talk to him, that the reason he did this was to get those two people out of potential line of fire. And there was fire and they were not hurt,” District Attorney John Champion said."

That man is a raging stud.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

that is good training right there, get off the X and put himself out there and draw fire to protect the Civilians.

Prayers and best Wishes for a full Recovery and Promotion.

He put the people in the vehicle on the X himself by turning the lights on. Sorry but he better damn sure make it his only priority at the moment to make sure they are not hurt. 

Since the article says the cop will be ok, The question is, did the people in the car receive a ticket?

He put the people in the vehicle on the X himself by turning the lights on. Sorry but he better damn sure make it his only priority at the moment to make sure they are not hurt. 
Since the article says the cop will be ok, The question is, did the people in the car receive a ticket?
Priorities...

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mike said:

What?  You're saying by doing a legitimate traffic stop he put those people 'on the X'?  WTH?  He's supposed to know that stopping people for a traffic violation may cause some random nutjob to pull over and start shooting?  Hopefully I'm just misunderstanding what you meant. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Mike said:

looks like he did and took a bullet to the head in doing it.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

What?  You're saying by doing a legitimate traffic stop he put those people 'on the X'?  WTH?  He's supposed to know that stopping people for a traffic violation may cause some random nutjob to pull over and start shooting?  Hopefully I'm just misunderstanding what you meant. 

All I hear about is how dangerous traffic stops are. So yes if they are truly so dangerous he should expect something bad to happen to the people he forced to stop. Would the folks in the car been near a muzzle had he not turned the lights on? If your answer is honest, then you then who would you say put them on the X (since they can't move and were not there voluntarily)?

Edited by Mike

4 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

looks like he did and took a bullet to the head in doing it.

No argument with that.

My point was had he not turned the lights on they would have never been in the line of fire, so he had better have had nothing else on his mind than making sure they were not hurt..

@Mike you present a thought-provoking idea here. While someone is detained or arrested, how much liability do the police have for their safety? I'm sorry, but if I'm pulled over and third-party bullets show up, I'm either shooting back or fleeing (not sure which). What I ain't doing, is sitting idly by, being "detained."

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mike said:

All I hear about is how dangerous traffic stops are. So yes if they are truly so dangerous he should expect something bad to happen to the people he forced to stop. Would the folks in the car been near a muzzle had he not turned the lights on? If your answer is honest, then you then who would you say put them on the X (since they can't move and were not there voluntarily)?

If they hadn't violated the law he wouldn't have been pulling them over. So who is responsible for them 'being on the X', the guy doing his job, or the people breaking the law?

When I get pulled over I blame myself.  I was the one who chose to speed.  The cop is just doing what he gets paid to do, which is what we should all be doing when we're on the clock.  

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

If they hadn't violated the law he wouldn't have been pulling them over. So who is responsible for them 'being on the X', the guy doing his job, or the people breaking the law?

When I get pulled over I blame myself.  I was the one who chose to speed.  The cop is just doing what he gets paid to do, which is what we should all be doing when we're on the clock.  

Do you not read the news articles of cops pulling people over and writing BS tickets just to get OT from going to court or to pad their pensions? It has been a news story here in MI numerous times at different departments. So I call bullshit of blaming yourself. Can you honestly say NOBODY you know has ever been pulled over for something the didn't do? 

Were the folks in the car able to leave when the gunfire started? Show me the exact law that says you can leave if you are scared. Can you show me 100% fact that they violated the law? Since you can't that means the cop put them on the X.

As I already asked, did the folks in the car get any citations?

Was it a DUI stop like the one the cop ignored in VA the other day by letting the legislator go (doing his job my ass)? https://wtkr.com/2020/01/29/virginia-legislator-let-off-with-warning-during-dui-stop/

Just search "cop writes false tickets" and read to your hearts desire. 

Don't forget to search, "Officer David Kanapsky", his is one of my favorite stories. 

Edited by Mike
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, tadbart said:

@Mike you present a thought-provoking idea here. While someone is detained or arrested, how much liability do the police have for their safety? I'm sorry, but if I'm pulled over and third-party bullets show up, I'm either shooting back or fleeing (not sure which). What I ain't doing, is sitting idly by, being "detained."

I'm just pointing out what nobody else has. I bet nobody can show me where it is ok to leave if you are scared. So if you do you are breaking more laws. In that situation common sense tells me they are 100% responsible for your safety as they determined the location of where to force you to stop, and that you are not free to leave.

Honestly shooting back or leaving is what most of us would do, but again the law doesn't understand common sense.

Do some of you galoots understand the concept of sophistry?

With all due respect, Mike, your assertion that every traffic stop by the police is corrupt and endangers the public because some goblin will come along and shoot at the police and hazard the innocent (your words) motorist is stretching sophistry beyond what any ancient Greek could imagine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Eric locked this topic