door bell prank turns deadly

ASH

When I was a kid my older brother and I strung a web of fish line across a sidewalk through the trees in the logging camp where we lived at the time. After dark. The fish line was 8 or 10 pound test. We hid on both sides of the trail under black wool blankets. Old man Payne came tottering down the walk from the local tavern, talking to himself. When he bumped into the fish line spider web, he had a "Huh" moment and hesitated. Then we sprang up letting out our best version of a blood curdling scream. Old man Payne went right through the web and we chased him home for about a block. Lucky we didn't give the old man a heart attack. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

When I was quite young, I listened to the guys at school talk about how much fun it was to throw snowballs at cars.

I pondered this for a while, then figured I could have fun too.  So I went on the other side of the block (I wasn't dumb enough to do this from my front yard).

A car came down the street and when he passed me I threw the snowball.  My aim was perfect.  Unfortunately he actually had the passenger side window open and the snowball went right in and hit the driver.

He slid that thing to a diagonal stop and came flying out of the car for me.  Now the chase was on!

I ran like hell, straight home and into the kitchen door. I wasn't very experienced in pissing off a driver.  I hadn't had time to close the door, he was so close.  He came right in the kitchen after me!

My father was in the kitchen too.  My father asked the really pissed off guy, what the hell was going on.  

The driver gave him the breathless story of what I had done...……………………..

Then he showed my father his Detective Badge for the City Police Department.

He and my father talked for a few minutes.  I was so rattled I don't even remember what was said.  These were the two ultimate Gods in my mind and they both thought I was crap.

So the Detective left in a huff.  My father looked at me sternly and said, "Are you ever going to do that again?".  I swore on everybody's grave (Including mine) that I would never do it again.  I didn't.  But I found the age old rule that I quote often, "every action has consequences". 

My father never had to touch me (he tried once and the dog took my side), but he could tear you apart verbally.  My biggest fear in life, was disappointing my father.

But, to this day my most significant memory, is that he never once said he loved me.  He would move the world for us kids, but he just couldn't say that phrase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, janice6 said:

When I was quite young, I listened to the guys at school talk about how much fun it was to throw snowballs at cars.

I pondered this for a while, then figured I could have fun too.  So I went on the other side of the block (I wasn't dumb enough to do this from my front yard).

A car came down the street and when he passed me I threw the snowball.  My aim was perfect.  Unfortunately he actually had the passenger side window open and the snowball went right in and hit the driver.

He slid that thing to a diagonal stop and came flying out of the car for me.  Now the chase was on!

I ran like hell, straight home and into the kitchen door. I wasn't very experienced in pissing off a driver.  I hadn't had time to close the door, he was so close.  He came right in the kitchen after me!

My father was in the kitchen too.  My father asked the really pissed off guy, what the hell was going on.  

The driver gave him the breathless story of what I had done...……………………..

Then he showed my father his Detective Badge for the City Police Department.

He and my father talked for a few minutes.  I was so rattled I don't even remember what was said.  These were the two ultimate Gods in my mind and they both thought I was crap.

So the Detective left in a huff.  My father looked at me sternly and said, "Are you ever going to do that again?".  I swore on everybody's grave (Including mine) that I would never do it again.  I didn't.  But I found the age old rule that I quote often, "every action has consequences". 

My father never had to touch me (he tried once and the dog took my side), but he could tear you apart verbally.  My biggest fear in life, was disappointing my father.

But, to this day my most significant memory, is that he never once said he loved me.  He would move the world for us kids, but he just couldn't say that phrase.

We used to chuck dirt clods from up on a high hill down at the off highway log trucks going by. There were a few times the drivers stopped but never chased us down. Since this was close to home they knew who was doing it, and word eventually got home. We found a different place to fire our missiles from.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

We used to chuck dirt clods from up on a high hill down at the off highway log trucks going by. There were a few times the drivers stopped but never chased us down. Since this was close to home they knew who was doing it, and word eventually got home. We found a different place to fire our missiles from.

In my formative years I really tried to be  like the bad guy I saw in our group.  For some reason, it was never in my future.  Don't get me wrong, I succeeded in being and Ahole but that wasn't what I was trying for.  He went to prison.

Every time I was on the edge of being a threat to society, something happened and I just walked away.  After some years it just seemed like too much effort to be "bad". 

Then I found it was far easier to be "Good".  But the women didn't nearly have as much interest in you.

• Like 2