What's a good set of Gunsmith screwdrivers?

DrB

I ordered a wheeler set.  Looking at the grace screwdrivers as well.   Then I saw some Grace brass punches I need.  I need to stop looking at tools, I think...  That and not to be sitting here drinking a few beers while I browse the tools.

Dave..

Edited by DrB
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, DrB said:

I ordered a wheeler set.  Looking at the grace screwdrivers as well.   Then I saw some Grace brass punches I need.  I need to stop looking at tools, I think...  That and not to be sitting here drinking a few beers while I browse the tools.

Dave..

Don't forget the Wheeler "Fat Wrench".

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mike said:

Don't forget the Wheeler "Fat Wrench".

Thanks, I'll put that on the list.  That could come in handy.  I'm going to have to get a gunsmith tool box also so I can keep the gunsmithing things in one place. 

Dave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My mechanical micrometer, caliper and slide rule never failed because the battery was dead.

I tried the battery-powered models and discovered that they sucked battery power faster than Joe Biden gets his children cushy jobs.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tous said:

My mechanical micrometer, caliper and slide rule never failed because the battery was dead.

I tried the battery-powered models and discovered that they sucked battery power faster than Joe Biden gets his children cushy jobs.

Sometimes the "feel" as you apply torque is just as important as the proper force.

I taught my son to "feel" as he tightens fasteners, the rule was 1/2 turn before it breaks.:greensupergrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/19/2020 at 3:33 PM, willie-pete said:

I use Brownell's set.

I have both...and love the Brownells but also have had amazing results with Wheeler.

It's almost a personal choice.

The important part is they are swagged rather than machinist or mechanic sets.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Historian said:

I have both...and love the Brownells but also have had amazing results with Wheeler.

It's almost a personal choice.

The important part is they are swagged rather than machinist or mechanic sets.

I just get a 10% discount from Brownell's because of my C & R license.

We have already determined what I am, we are just haggling about the price now. ( If you remember the old joke )

:biggrin:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, DrB said:

Ok, Digital or Analog version?  I like the analog breaks free when you hit the setting but I do like the digital one also. 

Dave..

I have had mine for about 6 years now, it is analog. I didn't know they made a digital, that must be new.

19 hours ago, willie-pete said:

I just get a 10% discount from Brownell's because of my C & R license.

We have already determined what I am, we are just haggling about the price now. ( If you remember the old joke )

:biggrin:

I thought that only applied if you were accused of being a whore?

Is there something you need to tell the class willie-pete? :anim_rofl2:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

I thought that only applied if you were accused of being a whore?

Is there something you need to tell the class willie-pete? :anim_rofl2:

Well someone did tell me once a long time ago, that if I had been born a girl, there would have been one whore in my family.

I told her that that was very hurtful.

:wink:

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, willie-pete said:

Well someone did tell me once a long time ago, that if I had been born a girl, there would have been one whore in my family.

I told her that that was very hurtful.

:wink:

Should have asked just who that would be, since there might be a few to choose from.

25 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Should have asked just who that would be, since there might be a few to choose from.

Well, she was looking directly at me. It was a " friend with no benefits " that commented on me whoring around with the bi-monthly Nurses classes that came through Sheppard AFB. 

Funny story time. I was newly assigned and got assigned as a security officer. She and I were the security officers for the base and had to burn classified documents on a monthly basis. That involved bringing the outdated docs to the base fire pit and burning them in a revolving drum made out of metal mesh; throw a handful in the drum, set fire and turn the crank while it got tossed around the drum while it burned and repeat for the next handful. it would generally take three or four hours.

After a few months, that got very old so I suggested an alternative. She said OK, let's try it. I went to the Fuels QC lab and got a few quarts of JP-4. We put all the docs in the drum at one time and I poured a half gallon of JP on the papers and I lit it off with a flare taped to a LONG stick.

What usually took about four hours to burn went up in about 20 minutes.

We retired to the O Club for the rest of the afternoon. Her drink of choice was " Scotch and Milk "  :headscratch:

Captain P said , " We're doing it that way from now on. " 

:anim_rofl2:

She got out of the AF and joined the CIA. She still won't tell me what she did for them.

Edited by willie-pete
  • Haha 1