Remington R51 - Take Two

JJHNSN

The latest issue of AMERICAN RIFLEMAN has an article on Remington's second chance with the R51. Odd, but O'Keefe had a web article on it in August 2016, but it's in the October 2017 American Rifleman. Anyone going to give it a chance? I actually like how it looks, but the article is pretty good, though it is funny that the author had problems with the magazines he first tried. The best street price I can find on them is: $267.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/8/15/keefe-report-second-chance-for-the-remington-r51/

r51_keefe_lede.jpg?preset=article

Edited by JJHNSN

• 1 month later...

I had an interest in one early on, but have no confidence in Remington to pull off the fix. I've pushed my luck three times with the new Remington, and so far so good. I'm not willing to put my money first without reading a crap load of real world reports. 

I was interested because it's not just some other poly piece of crap. I like the idea of a small single stack all metal gun. 

• 7 months later...

I had one, wanted to like it, got a good price and a $100 rebate.

Looked like it might be reliable enough for carry with some breakin but.....disassembling and reassembling is a horror show.  If you have strong, heavily calloused fingers maybe but you're always working against very heavy spring pressures working components with sharp edges/point.  One evolution was enough to make me hate it.  Gunsmith sold it to a charity raffle for me, didn't loose much.

Why put up with a huge annoyance when you can have easily disassembled guns like Rugers, S&Ws etc?  Don

I really wanted one after I read the articles and rented one of the new ones. I was totally unimpressed. Lotta sharp angles on it. The slide felt like it was grabbing skin on the web of my hand when it went back into battery. Had to lower my hand quite a bit to not feel pinched. I don’t have fat hands 

Really wanted to like the gun, but I felt like money was better spent elsewhere. 

Edited by Lagamor

So far, with 124 grain fmj, mine is working fine.  Still a bugger to reassemble after cleaning, though.

I haven't gotten to it in awhile, so, since I'll be close to the range lunchtime tomorrow, I'll take it for a spin and let you know.l

I also wanted the R51 to be a success and had every intention on buying one. Right up until Remington freedom group'd it up. They took a good idea and very poorly executed its design and manufacturing. I am sure it will be discontinued soon. There are way too many good single stack 9's in or around the same price point.

I would like to see Remington take the RM380 platform, beef it up a bit larger and with a few more modern and useable features than it's ancestor the Rohrbaugh R9, then reintroduce it as the R919 or something. Of course it would be nice if they actually tested it out this time before putting it on the market.

22 hours ago, UHLAWPUP said:

So far, with 124 grain fmj, mine is working fine.  Still a bugger to reassemble after cleaning, though.

I haven't gotten to it in awhile, so, since I'll be close to the range lunchtime tomorrow, I'll take it for a spin and let you know.l

Went to the range at lunchtime.

This pistol ran flawlessly!  I'm using 124 grain fmj, and can post a picture of the box if anyone is interested.

I ran 100 through it without a hiccough!  Will clean it over the holiday and put it in the carry rotation.

Remember, this gun was problematic when I first got it.  Bullets in the magazine would "nose down" and it would jam.  This doesn't happen anymore.  I think running a few hundred through it and finding the right ammo did the trick.  The gun is easily concealable, and a joy to shoot.

Just my fiftieth-part-of-a-dollar.  Your mileage may vary.