Deer walks Minnesota man home, demands pets in adorable viral video

TBO

The comment that that's not wild because of its lack of fear of humans, isn't quite true for this area.  I don't know about other areas, but I do know about mine!

This town isn't far from my home and the whole area has scattered Peat Bogs where wildlife abound, including Deer.  

The bogs drain through small numerous creeks that eventually drain into the Mississippi River nearby.  So the Deer and other varieties of wildlife use the creek beds as a path way through residential areas to the river and back

One of these creeks is behind the houses across the street from me, and the Deer traffic wandering this residential area is fairly heavy.

These are animals that live in a very large residential area, and therefore firearms are prohibited.  Only in special cases is bow hunting permitted, and only when the animals get too thick and cause traffic problems etc.

I have posted about various Deer and groups of Deer on my security cameras wandering down the middle of the street and stopping to chomp on decorative plantings or just graze down the boulevards.  They start just after sunset and into the night.

My neighbors say they have never seen them.  But, on occasion I have had to shoo them away from my front planter, so I could get the garbage cans set out to the curb.  I typically can get within 6 feet of them before they keep the distance constant.  I am up till 2AM.

Racoons and Woodchucks are very prolific too.  They like my bird feeder since it holds so much seed and lots fall on the ground for the non-flying critters. 

They eat and go home.  I have had a good time with them.  And they don't cause me any problems.

It's really great to watch how comfortable these animals and others are in a populated area.  I'm not at all surprised at a few  being so close you could pet them.  Some people may even have Shelled Corn feeders for them.

• Like 2

our old Neighbor in Minnetonka fed the Deer and Hares and made them all way too Friendly, twice i had them try to come in my house when i went out to take out the Trash.

the Lady was fined for 'baiting' deer and still didn`t stop most blamed her for all the Coyotes that would try to walk right up to you.

she was a nut.

• Thanks 1

Many years ago my wife and I went vehicle camping.

As we checked in the ranger asked us if we had a towel or blanket to cover our cooler. I asked why and he said that the local bears know what coolers look like and will bust the truck window to get at it.

So I thought,  what about their sense of smell? So if a bear busts into a car to get at a covered cooler, is it because they have now learned what a blanket covered cooler looks like, or they can just smell food in any case? 

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2020 at 8:35 PM, janice6 said:

The greatest amount of food is in the American public's trash cans.  Wild critters are smart.  They know quickly were the food is.  

Maybe they are smarter than the American public.

Friends in Salem VA routinely have bear raids on their trash. As do their neighbors. Some bears have been tranquilized and hauled back into more wilderness areas by game wardens. Whether one bear keeps returning or the bears are sequential I’ve not heard. So far as I know no one has been injured.   

• Thanks 1

Search my post about Tubby (the little dog) and the bear at a state park in the NC mountains.

Those bears know exactly what a cooler is.  And those pic-a-nic baskets.

And if there isn't one just sitting around the campsite,  in the middle of the night,  they'll go straight to your car and look in the windows.  Don't take the cooler into the tent with you, overnight.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Friends in Salem VA routinely have bear raids on their trash. As do their neighbors. Some bears have been tranquilized and hauled back into more wilderness areas by game wardens. Whether one bear keeps returning or the bears are sequential I’ve not heard. So far as I know no one has been injured.   

My limited experience in the Minnesota North woods says that, you are better off NOT giving them the idea you are trying to take "Their food".

At my buddy's camp (north-central PA),  some lady down the road was feeding the bears.  It got so they'd take peanut butter sandwiches from her hand.

Word got out and it turned into a spectacle,  with crowds gathering at dusk to see the bears.

The locals knew that was a bad idea,  and someone called the warden.  They darted and relocated the bears.

They said one of them, 800+ lbs,  would have been a state record if someone had legally hunted it.

(Imagine if a bear that size had suddenly decided it wanted peanut butter and marshmallow from that lady.  Or wanted some num-nums while she was inside her camp, cooking breakfast.)

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

At my buddy's camp (north-central PA),  some lady down the road was feeding the bears.  It got so they'd take peanut butter sandwiches from her hand.

Word got out and it turned into a spectacle,  with crowds gathering at dusk to see the bears.

The locals knew that was a bad idea,  and someone called the warden.  They darted and relocated the bears.

They said one of them, 800+ lbs,  would have been a state record if someone had legally hunted it.

(Imagine if a bear that size had suddenly decided it wanted peanut butter and marshmallow from that lady.  Or wanted some num-nums while she was inside her camp, cooking breakfast.)

Too many people confuse "docile", with "tame".  If a wild animal didn't eat you, it's because it isn't hungry enough!

• Thanks 1