Muzzle Brakes

Maser

3 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

I just put my plugs in before I shoot. Or wear electronic ear pro.

I was firmly on the not wearing ear plugs to hunt so I could hear, but since I started carrying ear plugs I’ve yet to have it cost me an animal. 

300 Wby seems like significant overkill on lower 48 deer though. 

I know a guy who used to use a .375 to hunt deer.

In South Carolina.

Yeah - he wound up trading the gun for a .270 and some money.

53 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

I know a guy who used to use a .375 to hunt deer.

In South Carolina.

Yeah - he wound up trading the gun for a .270 and some money.

Velocity ruins more meat than anything else. A lot of guys will shoot deer with their big bores as practice before heading on Safari. 

29 minutes ago, AK_Stick said:

Velocity ruins more meat than anything else. A lot of guys will shoot deer with their big bores as practice before heading on Safari. 

Wasn't the case in this case.  He just had too much gun.  He said he could put both hands in the wound channel.

8 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

Wasn't the case in this case.  He just had too much gun.  He said he could put both hands in the wound channel.

That’s pretty atypical unless he did something like handload extremly light bullets or some such silliness. Sounds more like a little bit of embellishment than anything else  

Guys out bear hunting use 375’s all the time in AK to shoot blacktail, and I’ve never seen one with a hole so big you can stick both hands in it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SC Tiger said:

I use a .375 H&H, a .416 Remington, and a .458 on moose. BUT.....I use Barnes X copper bullets. You can eat right up to the hole. Even when shot at close range. Also use Barnes X in my long range rifles for goats, sheep, caribou. Same results.

I used to hunt deer with a .375 H&H Magnum, using 270 grain soft point bullets. They didn't run far after being hit, unlike smaller calibers like the 6mm Remington.  

It was far less destructive than the 7mm Remington Magnum and the recoil was a slower shove as opposed to a sharp rap. The only thing I had against it was it weighed more than many rifles of the era.

14 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

That’s pretty atypical unless he did something like handload extremly light bullets or some such silliness. Sounds more like a little bit of embellishment than anything else  

Guys out bear hunting use 375’s all the time in AK to shoot blacktail, and I’ve never seen one with a hole so big you can stick both hands in it. 

Bear in mind that deer in SC have been compared to large dogs as far as size - especially in the area he hunts.  

That said - I wouldn't doubt some embellishment.  Everyone does it.

13 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I use a .375 H&H, a .416 Remington, and a .458 on moose. BUT.....I use Barnes X copper bullets. You can eat right up to the hole. Even when shot at close range. Also use Barnes X in my long range rifles for goats, sheep, caribou. Same results.

See above about the size of deer in the midlands/lowcountry of SC.  A .416 would probably blow one in half.

7 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

Bear in mind that deer in SC have been compared to large dogs as far as size - especially in the area he hunts.  

That said - I wouldn't doubt some embellishment.  Everyone does it.

See above about the size of deer in the midlands/lowcountry of SC.  A .416 would probably blow one in half.

Not with Barnes X. The Blacktails we hunt in Alaska are not very large either.

On 11/14/2019 at 11:21 PM, holyjohnson said:

......as far as AR i prefer the BCM Gunfighter Mod 0-its a little of a Brake and Flash hider and compensator to work well in all of those aspects and does`nt piss anyone beside you off so much they hate you,and it does keep the muzzle on target through multiple rounds fired.....

Oh no my brotha'!!!

If you think that Mod 0 isn't loud, let someone shoot your rifle and stand to the side. I promise you, it's loud AF. I have a BCM The Jack carbine with one, and I've experienced it.

But it does do extremely well, making an AR shoot like a .22LR.

Edited by M&P15T
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, M&P15T said:

Oh no my brotha'!!!

If you think that Mod 0 isn't loud, let someone shoot your rifle and stand to the side. I promise you, it's loud AF. I have a BCM The Jack carbine with one, and I've experienced it.

But it does do extremely well, making an AR shoot like a .22LR.

my 11.5 truck AR had a troy Medieval brake on it for awhile,maybe in comparison everything is quieter then that monster with m193 out of that is was a race to see if your deaf or blind first.

G.A. Flash comp makes it feel like a BB gun.