Dust In My Eyes

Maser

What would I do?

Uh, eat at home? Is this a trick question? Cook up a mess of beans and rice or boil a bag of potatoes with some seasoning. Eat cheap, but healthy. Cook a big covered dish of potatoes, carrots and onions with a bullion cube. Boring, but I'd be full.

1 hour ago, johnbt said:

What would I do?

Uh, eat at home? Is this a trick question? Cook up a mess of beans and rice or boil a bag of potatoes with some seasoning. Eat cheap, but healthy. Cook a big covered dish of potatoes, carrots and onions with a bullion cube. Boring, but I'd be full.

AMEN to this.

After my dad died, we got POOR for a while. Mom would make chili with a lot of beans, and we always ate it over rice. Looking back, I'm pretty sure she was stretching it as far as she could, using rice as a filler for a lot of meals. Being a kid, I didn't really know any better. Nowadays, I couldn't imagine chili without lots of beans and rice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also didn't realize that my mother was fixing meals to minimize the expense of food.  I don't know if it was through habit, convention of the times, or a necessity.  We used to put 30 or 40 Chickens in the freezer for Winter along with a 6 gallon bucket of Blueberries.

But one supper that I liked very much was a layer of stewed Tomatoes, a layer of Saltines, another layer of stewed Tomatoes and so on.  It was about two inches thick in a casserole dish with a thick topping of Velveeta.

We kids used to fight over the browned Cheese part.

Gulash was also on the menu a lot.

• Like 1