Red Dots

So I know this has been beaten to death in numerous forums, but looking at getting a red dot for my recently put together AR-15. It is a PSA 16" upper (magpul rear buis/A2 front)/Anderson lower. Basically the rifle will be used for mostly for range, home defense, and general plinking (so likely looking for a 1x).

Pretty much all I have ever used as far as optics are Aimpoints and EOTechs--minus a short stint with a reflex (switched it out quickly because of the tint it had on it). However since I have to pay for the optic, those are a bit out of budget. I know it is buy once; cry once...I know wifey don't see it that way.

I am looking for recommendations maybe some pros and cons. Maybe around the 200.00 mark. Been reading alot on Vortex (few different models there) and then there is primary arms and Bushnell. Seems like so many options nowadays.

Sorry about the long post, but wanted to try to get all the info in there. Plus its the first "optic" thread! We all know how everyone loves those.

I have a couple vortex products. Have always worked as expected and seemed to be a good value. I'd have to go downstairs and look at the models but my last vortex was $179 red dot and I bought the magnifier with it for a total of about $350 to $400. Works great for plinking and flipping the magnifier(or not running one) would be a good hd fit I think. I have used lower priced brands which were okay but tended to last only so long and were cheap for a reason. I think there are a good number of quality options in your searching range and vortex would certainly be a good start. 

1 hour ago, Leavemeout said:

I have a couple vortex products. Have always worked as expected and seemed to be a good value. I'd have to go downstairs and look at the models but my last vortex was $179 red dot and I bought the magnifier with it for a total of about $350 to $400. Works great for plinking and flipping the magnifier(or not running one) would be a good hd fit I think. I have used lower priced brands which were okay but tended to last only so long and were cheap for a reason. I think there are a good number of quality options in your searching range and vortex would certainly be a good start. 

I have a Vortex Razor Reflex which was about $400. I do like it and it works great.

I also have a couple of red dots from Holosun which are less expensive and work equally as well. 

If I had to buy another red dot I’d look at another from Holosun. I think for the money they are hard to beat. YMMV. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

No red dots for me. Bought and tried a bunch and hate the small field of vision as well as the finicky alignment. Sold them all and got what most pro 3 gunners use: a quality 1x6 scope with daylight visible illumination and a proper reticle.

From both eyes open close range indoors out to 400 yards.

Ya'll need to try the Kahles K16i or its sister from Swarovski. HUGE eye box, huge field of vision, and so much detail you will wonder if you need glasses when using a red dot.

Also, when the battery or electronics die on your red dot, you are dead in the water, unless you co-witness your AR and add more weight. The scope on the other hand still has cross-hairs.

Kahles-K16i-1-6x24.jpg

IMG_6670_zpsbhclkeut.jpg

Edited by crockett

• 3 months later...

I looked through the Sig Sauer red dots recently, I ended up getting a "blemished" Romeo6T from Midway because the price was good.  From what I can see with the short time I've had it, their motion sensor to turn off the optic works exactly how it's supposed to, turning on whenever the sight gets bumped even a little.  Doesn't work on a truck gun, but it's easy enough to just turn on and off in that case.

There seem to be a lot of good reviews for the Romeo5 which is easily within your ~$200 budget.  There seem to be a lot of people that say they are just a rebranded Holosun, but Sig insists that it is their own design.  Probably built in the same factory in China.

The Romeo4 and Romeo7 seem to start around the $300 range unless you can find a discontinued Romeo4A somewhere.  

Sig Romeo5 comes in either a AAA version or CR2032 version with a couple different reticle options

Here are the Romeo4 versions, borrowed from https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Sig_Romeo_4_versions/18-713171/

Model Power Source Reticles Objective Size Water Proof Ruggedized Price Year Introduced
Romeo 4A Battery Only 2 MOA dot only 20MM IPX-7 No $215 (Discontinued but still available on Amazon) 2016
Romeo 4B Battery Only 2 MOA Dot + 65 MOA Circle 20MM IPX-7 No $350 2016
Romeo 4C Battery + Solar 2 MOA Dot + 65 MOA Circle 20MM IPX-7 No $400 2016
Romeo 4M Battery Only 2 MOA Dot + 65 MOA Circle 20MM IPX-8 Yes $500 2016
Romeo 4H Battery Only 1 MOA Plex or 2 MOA Dot + 65 MOA Circle + BDC 30MM IPX-7 No $350 2017
Romeo 4S Battery + Solar 1 MOA Plex or 2 MOA Dot + 65 MOA Circle + BDC 20MM IPX-7 No $450 2017
Romeo 4T Battery + Solar 1 MOA Plex or 2 MOA Dot + 65 MOA Circle + BDC 20MM IPX-8 Yes $550 2017

Biggest downsides to the Sig optics are they are still too new and therefore unknown to how well they will hold up, and the fact that their "SIG SAUER Electro-Optic Infinite Guarantee" doesn't actually cover any of the electronic components, the internals only have a 5 year warranty (they way they word the "guarantee" is confusing)

Oh, and the reticle options don't work that well for me personally.  To me a red dot is able to be held away from you without any set eye relief distance, but one of the reticle options has 3 additional dots below the center one to give you shorter range target points, but I don't see how they will work if your eye isn't at a specific distance from the sight.  I'm just sticking with the plain 2MOA dot.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:12 PM, ASH said:

aimpoint patrol .  love it . 

I hope I end up loving it too.  I got one for my Colt AR-15 Build.  I put my Ruger Gas operated on the chopping block.  Great AR.  It is just way too damn heavy for me for the round coming out of the barrel.  Plus,  The Colt LE version reminds me of the full auto Colt I used to qualify with, except you don't have to adjust a rear optic to dial into your number.  Fortunately, for me, back then it was mechanical zero, and it is not a 14" barrel.

Edited by Moshe