Maine gives subsidized housing to ‘asylum seekers’ over poor citizens

pipedreams

"Foreigners, alleged asylum seekers, 150 of them from Africa, have jumped ahead of 18,000 Mainers who have been on a waiting list for years for Section 8 housing.

The Maine Governor Janet Mills is so welcoming to the many new immigrants from the Congo and Angola that she is putting them ahead of poor citizens.

They also aren’t legitimate asylum seekers unless you want to allow all poor people in war torn areas to skip all the countries in between them and us to come to the US. Their countries have been a mess for decades."

https://www.independentsentinel.com...housing-to-asylum-seekers-over-poor-citizens/

• Thanks 1

Some have also been placed in homes with other families.

Subsidized housing is a disaster in Maine. I could join the list but when I heard that in 2017 there were exactly 8 (eight) subsidized housing openings for 10,000 people. The have capped the list at 10,000 which is in itself ridiculous, but the prior 18,000 people was just plain insane.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Paul53 said:

Some have also been placed in homes with other families.

Subsidized housing is a disaster in Maine. I could join the list but when I heard that in 2017 there were exactly 8 (eight) subsidized housing openings for 10,000 people. The have capped the list at 10,000 which is in itself ridiculous, but the prior 18,000 people was just plain insane.

What the Maine approach really means is that Maine doesn't care about homeless people, but does care about the publicity gained from their largesse with regards to "immigrants".

This is a publicity stunt as is most local government's approach to many problems.  Remember, that city government is your idiot neighbors, not the intelligensia they would have you believe.

• Like 1

I should ad that supply and demand is hard at work. Portland rents are incredibly high. Along with that, Maines average age is high and increasing. Towns are find volunteer fire departments and ambulances don't work anymore, so paid firemen and medics gets added to taxes.

As Portland becomes too costly to live, people are having to move further and further from the most desireable Portland. A bad situation getting worse.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Paul53 said:

I should ad that supply and demand is hard at work. Portland rents are incredibly high. Along with that, Maines average age is high and increasing. Towns are find volunteer fire departments and ambulances don't work anymore, so paid firemen and medics gets added to taxes.

As Portland becomes too costly to live, people are having to move further and further from the most desireable Portland. A bad situation getting worse.

I know the poor don't offer much in taxes, I wonder if the state gets federal money towards immigrants that might make them more valuable than old citizens.

• Like 2

Meanwhile i have two wonderful people who work with me who are about to either go back to India or find new jobs because we  (state gov) won't sponsor. 

Two people who worked hard, have great work ethic, played by the rules...get screwed over because we won't do it...and some dude who jumps a fence gets all the help me wants.

Not...right.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Historian said:

Meanwhile i have two wonderful people who work with me who are about to either go back to India or find new jobs because (state gov) we won't sponsor. 

Two people who worked hard, have great work ethic, played by the rules...get screwed over because we won't do it...and some dude who jumps a fence gets all the help me wants.

Not...right.

When government and/or politics get in the mix there is no equity.

• Like 1