Quize Time.. Tails Out..

DrB

The IBM 2420 magnetic tape drive was a joy to behold.

All you had to do was slide the door open, push the tape on the left hub, close the door and push a button.

The machine opened the case, sucked about twenty feet of tape into the vacuum column and it threaded onto the take-up reel; all in about three seconds.

Until they didn't.

Then you had 800 feet of tape all huddled up in the bottom of the drive.

This is when junior operators learned about rewinding tape by hand.

Then, they had huge tape libraries and robots.  The robots would find the tape requested, bring it to the designated drive and mount it.

Until it didn't.

A common problem was when the robot missed opening the door and tried to smash the tape through it.

:biggrin:

Edited by tous
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, tous said:

All you had to do was slide the door open, push the tape on the left hub, close the door and push a button.

The machine opened to case, sucked about twenty feet of tape into the vacuum column and it threaded onto the take-up reel; all in about three seconds.

Until they didn't.

Then, they had huge tape libraries and robots.  The robots would fild the tape requested, bring it to the designated drive and mount it.

Until it didn't.

A common prolem was when the robot missed opening the door and tried to smash the tape through it.

Now I'm glad I had it easy dealing with analog audio.  Except when in the 80"s All the Ampex and Scotch tape stock decided to shed it's backing due to drying out.  Fun times.

Dave..

• Like 1

My first reel-to-reel was a Roberts 2-track (stereo) that i got right before they began selling under the Akai name.

Then I got a Teac A3340S 4-track for recording live music.

Dang, I miss those days.

Can you still buy an audiophile- or studio-quality reel-to-reel?

20 minutes ago, tous said:

The machine opened the case, sucked about twenty feet of tape into the vacuum column and it threaded onto the take-up reel; all in about three seconds.

Until they didn't.

Then, they had huge tape libraries and robots.  The robots would find the tape requested, bring it to the designated drive and mount it.

Until it didn't.

A common problem was when the robot missed opening the door and tried to smash the tape through it.

Robots. That's like Flash Gordon stuff.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, tadbart said:

I don't even know what you technocritters are talkin about.

That's ancient technocritters to you, young'un.

:fred:

Imagine a world where, when you wanted to listen to music, you found the record album, put it on your turntable, lowered the arm and sat back for perhaps 30 minutes of music.

Then, you had to get up and flip the record over.

And, yes, you could store 1,000 songs; if you had that much shelf space.

Edited by tous
  • Thanks 1

My first experience with a sound recorder was with an old wire recorder "long, long, ago".

The advantage I have always had with regards to sound, is that my hearing has always cut off by a minimum of 30 db's above 2.6 Kc's (Hz, to you new guys).

Hearing aids don't work for me since the cutoff is so sharp there is nothing to amplify.

So I was never plagued by poor quality since that was the only quality I have ever heard.

In fact, during my youth, I knew the melodies to all the new songs, but I never could understand the words, until after I retired and found Bluetooth ear pieces with damaging volume.

I'm not complaining, since this is a benefit when I don't care to listen, then it's because of my hearing, not my lack of interest in the subject.

• Like 2