Who said it?

Dric902

1) "In this country, we have a strong tradition of gun ownership that's handed from generation to generation. Hunting and shooting are part of our national heritage. And, in fact, my administration has not curtailed the rights of gun owners—it has expanded them,

2) I believe in the Second Amendment. It’s there written on the paper. It guarantees a right to bear arms.

3) I think we can provide common-sense approaches to the issue of illegal guns that are ending up on the streets. We can make sure that criminals don't have guns in their hands. We can make certain that those who are mentally deranged are not getting a hold of handguns. 

4) I stand in support of this common sense legislation to license everyone who wishes to purchase a gun

5) I am calling for common sense gun safety measures to protect people.    

6) Serious discussions are taking place between House and Senate leadership on meaningful Background Checks. 

7) we all must work together for the good and safety of our Country. Common sense things can be done that are good for everyone!

8) guns should not be placed in the hands of mentally ill or deranged people.

9) “I will get rid of gun-free zones on schools, and — you have to — and on military bases. My first day, it gets signed, okay? My first day. There’s no more gun-free zones.”

10) We have a situation where we have our inner cities, African-Americans, Hispanics are living in hell because it’s so dangerous. You walk down the street, you get shot.”

11) "I like taking guns away early, take the guns first, go through due process second."

* 1,2- Obama

* 3,4,5,- Hillary

* 6-10 - Trump

Edited by Dric902

12) the battle for American freedom was begun by the thousands of farmers and tradesmen who made up the Minute Men — citizens who were ready to defend their liberty at a moment’s notice. Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort.

13)  By calling attention to “a well regulated militia,” the “security” of the nation, and the right of each citizen “to keep and bear arms,” our founding fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy. Although it is extremely unlikely that the fears of governmental tyranny which gave rise to the Second Amendment will ever be a major danger to our nation, the Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic civilian-military relationships, in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of his country. For that reason I believe the Second Amendment will always be important.

14) We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.

15) Because you won't get gun control by disarming law abiding citizens. There's only one way to get real gun control: Disarm the thugs and the criminals, lock them up, and if you don't actually throw away the key, at least lose it for a long time.

* 12,13 - JFK

* 14,15 - Ronald Reagan

Edited by Dric902

22 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

11) "I like taking guns away early, take the guns first, go through due process second."

And on this I absolutely disagree with him.  That's not the way it works with fundamental constitutional rights.

Look how well the FISA Court worked with that. Or has he forgotten already?

• Thanks 1

I'm getting the feeling that talk of enhanced background checks includes the transfer of all firearms through FFLs. No more private transactions. I also have the feeling that it could be done via Executive Order.

Here's a better idea. Prosecute those unqualified persons who try to acquire firearms through FFLs. Right now the percentage of such prosecutions is less than 1%. Publicize the prosecutions. Enforce the law. If you are so stupid to try a transfer through a FFL when you have felony convictions you deserve to be prosecuted. Or at least asking for it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ricordo said:

I'm getting the feeling that talk of enhanced background checks includes the transfer of all firearms through FFLs. No more private transactions. I also have the feeling that it could be done via Executive Order.

Here's a better idea. Prosecute those unqualified persons who try to acquire firearms through FFLs. Right now the percentage of such prosecutions is less than 1%. Publicize the prosecutions. Enforce the law. If you are so stupid to try a transfer through a FFL when you have felony convictions you deserve to be prosecuted. Or at least asking for it.

Also prosecute those people who legally buy gun as a straw purchase, and hand them over to unqualified identified criminal friends and family. 

I have read of them being slapped on the wrist for this, but little else.  I have even read of the use of a firearm in a crime, but being plead out of the charges. 

No quarter!

You can't believe that firearms make a crime more lethal, but then remove the charge and claim it's now not relevant. 

Maybe the second biggest problem with gun crime, is the courts that bless the criminal and pass him back into the population.

Edited by janice6

Yes, Sir.

Let me put it this way. We don't live in a perfect world. Yes, I know, perplexing, isn't it?

If well-thought out measures haven't solved the problem entirely, how can anybody expect that knee-jerk reactions will? And on top of that trample on a fundamental constitutional right?

In common speak, **** will always find a way to hit the fan. It's a law of nature.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ricordo said:

I expect politicians to do what they do best on this issue.

Nothing.

One can only hope.

Isn't it interesting though, that there is no hesitation in trying to negate a Constitutional Amendment by making it impossible to exercise, and a great many citizens believe that it will stop there.

The local news was full of, GUNS, GUNS, GUNS, (It's Minnesota, after all) but nothing to speak of about criminals.  How pathetic that people fear an object, undoubtedly because it has a loud report that startles most, and not an automobile that they drive, yet kills, relatively quietly, every day.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ricordo said:

I expect politicians to do what they do best on this issue.

Nothing.

Your keyboard to God’s ear.

Its a shame that “nothing” is the best we can hope for when “we” have the Senate, Presidency, and two years of the House.

Edited by Dric902
  • Thanks 1

You know the wonderful feeling you get when you are browsing and find a jewel that really opens your eyes because of the intellectual brilliance of the author? I was gratified today while reading this news article: 

https://www.oann.com/president-trump-discussion-on-meaningful-background-checks-happening/

Here's what was posted by someone with the moniker West_Coast:

West_Coast 20 hours ago

Isn't it interesting that in America, our flag and our culture offend so many people, but our benefits don't?

How can the federal government ask U.S. citizens to pay back student loans, when illegal aliens are receiving a free education?

Only in America are legal citizens labeled "racists" and "Nazis," but illegal aliens are called "Dreamers”.

Liberals say, "If confiscating all guns saves just one life, it's worth it". Well then, if deporting all illegals saves just one life, wouldn't that be worth it?

I have a tough time trying to figure out how someone can proudly wave the flag of another country, but consider it punishment to be sent back there.

The Constitution: It doesn't need to be rewritten, it needs to be reread.

William F. Buckley said: "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other points of view, and are then shocked and offended when they discover there are other points of view."

Joseph Sobran said: "'Need' now means wanting someone else's money. 'Greed' means wanting to keep your own. 'Compassion' is when a politician arranges the transfer."

Damn, man! You really have your i(s) dotted and your t(s) crossed!

• Like 1

The thing about student loans.

I have two clients , father and son, who are employed and making $150,000-$200,000 each per year.

Their profession?

Sewer cleaners.

Nope. No college degrees.

Oh, the irony of it all!

Edited by Ricordo
Is it irony or sarcasm? :)

13 minutes ago, Ricordo said:

The thing about student loans.

I have two clients , father and son, who are employed and making $150,000-$200,000 each per year.

Their profession?

Sewer cleaners.

Nope. No college degrees.

Oh, the irony of it all!

Mike Rowe Works

yesterday I averaged just under $80 an hour. 

A friend of mine spends most of his time cutting tree limbs close to power lines...$35 an hour when he is on the ground.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dric902 said:

Mike Rowe Works

That man is a genius.   He has pointed out the failure of the idea of college being required for everyone.

My wife and i have nine college degrees between us.    The most functional, get you a job, degrees were two year community college degrees.  They got us jobs and we received further education based on those jobs.    She will have degree 10 in about a year.

• Like 3

I knew an old man who was a millionaire. Several times over.

He never quit college. He probably was a night-time student until the day he died.

That's love of knowledge!

But then, he lived before Al Gore invented the internet and swore by the inconvenient truth. :)

Edited by Ricordo
Could've saved a bunch of money

38 minutes ago, Historian said:

That man is a genius.   He has pointed out the failure of the idea of college being required for everyone.

My wife and i have nine college degrees between us.    The most functional, get you a job, degrees were two year community college degrees.  They got us jobs and we received further education based on those jobs.    She will have degree 10 in about a year.

Two 2 years degrees helped me get a good foundation for further advancement and the GI  Bill provided the seed money.

• Like 1