How Are Your Tomato Plants Doing.

DrB

Mine finally have blossoms on the ones I planted mounded up in the back because of the wet spring here..  Being the beginning of August in Ohio I'm doubtful they will make ripe tomatoes though.  Hopefully we will have a very late fall.

Dave..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrB said:

Mine finally have blossoms on the ones I planted mounded up in the back because of the wet spring here..  Being the beginning of August in Ohio I'm doubtful they will make ripe tomatoes though.  Hopefully we will have a very late fall.

Dave..

As soon as my wife's Tomato plants grew blossoms, a deer walked up to them in the middle of the afternoon one day and casually ate the tips of every one.

1 minute ago, janice6 said:

As soon as my wife's Tomato plants grew blossoms, a deer walked up to them in the middle of the afternoon one day and casually ate the tips of every one.

Thanks my friend... I have deer in the valley that wander up.....  Another piece in the puzzle...

Dave

• Haha 1

I've picked a total of 4.  About as small as a tangerine.  Just got one today.  So yummy.  No toasted tomato sandwich size yet.  My big ones may not ripen either as they just started to set fruit.  They should have looked like that in May!

• Like 1

I'm in NW Lower MI and have the poorest tomato crop I've ever had.  June was cold, have a total of five tomatoes on the plants, one little one that was ripe and picked.  These are Better Boy variety and they're supposed to be big (they were the last few years I've planted them).  A farmer friend has a decent crop, so he's my supply this year.  Usually I'm buried in tomatoes by early August.

2 minutes ago, OGW said:

I'm in NW Lower MI and have the poorest tomato crop I've ever had.  June was cold, have a total of five tomatoes on the plants, one little one that was ripe and picked.  These are Better Boy variety and they're supposed to be big (they were the last few years I've planted them).  A farmer friend has a decent crop, so he's my supply this year.  Usually I'm buried in tomatoes by early August.

Yes this year not looking good for me either.  Did you have the cool very wet spring where nothing could get planted there?

Dave..

56 minutes ago, DrB said:

Yes this year not looking good for me either.  Did you have the cool very wet spring where nothing could get planted there?

Dave..

It was wet here into June but that doesn't matter to my tomato plants as I have them under the overhang on the south side of my house and have to water them daily.  They just never took off and grew, didn't make blossoms until late, totally pathetic.  I mostly blame  the cold June, but July was hot as hell and they should have taken off and didn't.

Edited by OGW

south central MI here.  cold wet spring.  Tomatoes went in late.  The ones outdoors in the dirt do not have a single tomato on them.  Those in the straw bales have green tomatoes, but nothing ripe.  The ones in the straw bales in the hoop house have green tomatoes, and I get a ripe one about every three days.  Usually by now I would be buried in them, and canning and freezing them as fast as I can.  This year, I'm not even getting enough to just feed us our daily tomato...  and the cukes are even worse.  The plants are dying and I haven't gotten even a dozen.  The weird thing is, the lettuce and the carrots have loved this weather.  The lettuce finally bolted two weeks ago, so I have to replant for a fall crop.  But I had more lettuce than all of us and the neighbors could eat.  And I need to plant the fall carrots this week... I hope they do as well as the spring ones.  This is the first year I've ever had a decent carrot crop.  This weird weather makes me wonder what a couple freaky years would do to everyone's seed saving and canned/frozen food supplied from their gardens...

While you guys were getting pounded, we were getting all the nice weather here in Northern California.  Three years ago, we had such a cool summer that I got no zucchini and very few tomatoes.  I swore I wouldn't bother again.  This year, it was fairly warm early on and after that we got a lot of weather in the low 80 and high 70s.  It was very conducive to growing tomatoes.  I've been picking as many as my wife can eat for about a month now.  We even made a batch of marinara sauce last night, with bunches of unpicked tomatoes  vine ripening.  Maybe next year we'll get the bad weather. What goes around comes around, I figure. 

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 1

We had one ripe half eaten by a deer. The rest we're picking green and setting them on the kitchen window sill. The tomatoes that we bought from the Ohio vendors at our local flea market are very tasty. The ones from the Carolinas were very good but the ones from Medina Ohio are the best ever We also bought a large zucchini that will get stuffed. tom.

image.png.a29073aad6142966ffd755d088702bef.png

Edited by deputy tom

11 hours ago, deputy tom said:

We had one ripe half eaten by a deer. The rest we're picking green and setting them on the kitchen window sill. The tomatoes that we bought from the Ohio vendors at our local flea market are very tasty. The ones from the Carolinas were very good but the ones from Medina Ohio are the best ever We also bought a large zucchini that will get stuffed. tom.

image.png.a29073aad6142966ffd755d088702bef.png

Oh my gosh! Slice that baby up, put it on some sour dough bread with mayo, a sprinkling of S&P...Heaven!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Zonny said:

Oh my gosh! Slice that baby up, put it on some sour dough bread with mayo, a sprinkling of S&P...Heaven!

That is a stock photo but ours looked exactly like that one. Mancini's Italian bread, mayo, fresh ground pepper. One of the summer's delights. tom. :eat:

• Like 1