Sad drug use. Sad work stories.

Silentpoet

@Dric902 yeah, the system sucks. Calling DCF on someone doesn't have the same pop that it did 20-30 years ago. Nowadays, it seems that the case workers are just another broken, unmotivated, racist (or race-forgiving), lazy part of a broken machine. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I've rarely found that "calling DCF" is the answer to anything but additional effort and documentation. I'm certain that they sometimes make a difference, but I couldn't prove that in a Court of Law or a laboratory if you held a gun to my head.

7 hours ago, tadbart said:

@Dric902 yeah, the system sucks. Calling DCF on someone doesn't have the same pop that it did 20-30 years ago. Nowadays, it seems that the case workers are just another broken, unmotivated, racist (or race-forgiving), lazy part of a broken machine. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I've rarely found that "calling DCF" is the answer to anything but additional effort and documentation. I'm certain that they sometimes make a difference, but I couldn't prove that in a Court of Law or a laboratory if you held a gun to my head.

I know, they are overwhelmed with cases, understaffed (who would want to do their job) and have a lot of constraints on what they can do.

but...you (not you personally) have to live with yourself afterwords. There are a couple of cases near here that had some dire consequences after somebody didn’t try to help. 

All you can do is what you can do. I’ve referred to DCS and the Family Court system as “Mommy Rehab” because it doesn’t seem to focus on the kids as much as proving their system works.

even when it has a history of not working worth a damn. 

Do what you can

• Like 2

On 7/22/2019 at 3:52 AM, tadbart said:

Calling DCF on someone doesn't have the same pop that it did 20-30 years ago.

I think it's largely turned into a 'jerry springer move' that you can pull on your neighbor that you don't like,  and everyone knows that.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I think it's largely turned into a 'jerry springer move' that you can pull on your neighbor that you don't like,  and everyone knows that.

The child abuse hotline largely filters that out for us.  Sometimes too much.  We have had cases we called in filtered out.  My supervisor had to call and get them to change their decision. 

• Sad 1