Next 007 Movie

Al Czervik

Interestingly enough, I was at my second oldest daughter's house visiting last Wednesday, and while waiting for my wife to get back from an errand, she put in a Captain Marvel movie.

She said this was a great movie and wanted to know if I had seen it.  I said no, and it couldn't be a great movie to me, since it completely rewrote the main character.  It was originally a Man.

She argued with me that Captain Marvel was always a woman.  I pointed out to her the huge number of comics all us kids read in the 40's and never was Captain Marvel a woman, the character was a man!

She was aghast that everything she knew about the character was recent and she had been led to believe it was always a woman. 

I pointed out to her that she should have verified the information she was given, it's no different to day in anything.  People trying to change history will tell you what they want you to believe, not what is true.

I didn't mind the movie.  I didn't think it was anything special, but then I quit "comics" around the early 50's.

I am tired of "them" feeding me bull **** and telling me it's steak.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I expect the female 007 character to unabashedly flirt with a overtly homosexual Mr. Moneypenny, who'll be bitchy and snarky throughout their scenes together.

We might also expect the new 007 to stop carrying firearms, as they a violent anachronism of the former patriarchy.  

The way I view the progression through the Bond movies, they pretty much alternate between physical action stars and special effects action stars.  Skipping George Lazenby, we have Sean Connery with physical action, then Roger Moore did a lot of special effect stunts.  Then Timothy Dalton's movies returned to good old physicality and his replacement, Pierce Brosnan was in a lot of movies emphasizing  special effects.  Then, Daniel Craig came to the rescue, bringing some exceptional physicality to the role.  Now, our new Miss Bond is not likely to be able to match Craig's physical presence in the role, and I would bet that her movie will be based on CGI and special effects.  My guess is that this will kill the franchise for four of five years.  It will certainly tank in the Chinese market where their xenocentric censors typically nix the use of a black actor in any lead role. 

But, we will see, won't we.

Edited by minervadoe

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:15 AM, janice6 said:

Interestingly enough, I was at my second oldest daughter's house visiting last Wednesday, and while waiting for my wife to get back from an errand, she put in a Captain Marvel movie.

She said this was a great movie and wanted to know if I had seen it.  I said no, and it couldn't be a great movie to me, since it completely rewrote the main character.  It was originally a Man.

She argued with me that Captain Marvel was always a woman.  I pointed out to her the huge number of comics all us kids read in the 40's and never was Captain Marvel a woman, the character was a man!

She was aghast that everything she knew about the character was recent and she had been led to believe it was always a woman. 

I pointed out to her that she should have verified the information she was given, it's no different to day in anything.  People trying to change history will tell you what they want you to believe, not what is true.

I didn't mind the movie.  I didn't think it was anything special, but then I quit "comics" around the early 50's.

I am tired of "them" feeding me bull **** and telling me it's steak.

I saw Captain Marvel and I think the picture would have sucked just as bad if the main character was a man.  Recently I saw the newest Spiderman and it would have sucked just as bad if it had been SpiderGirl instead of SpiderBoy. The only other comic book movies I've seen that were any good were the two Iron man movies with Robert Downey jr. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, minervadoe said:

The way I view the progression through the Bond movies, they pretty much alternate between physical action stars and special effects action stars.  Skipping George Lazenby, we have Sean Connery with physical action, then Roger Moore did a lot of special effect stunts.  Then Timothy Dalton's movies returned to good old physicality and his replacement, Pierce Brosnan was in a lot of movies emphasizing  special effects.  Then, Daniel Craig came to the rescue, bringing some exceptional physicality to the role.  Now, our new Miss Bond is not likely to be able to match Craig's physical presence in the role, and I would bet that her movie will be based on CGI and special effects.  My guess is that this will kill the franchise for four of five years.  It will certainly tank in the Chinese market where their xenocentric censors typically nix the use of a black actor in any lead role. 

But, we will see, won't we.

Sean Connery had read Ian Fleming and understood the role well. Roger Moore did well with "Live and Let Die", then took the franchise into a parody of what Connery did because Moore did not like firearms or violence [he certainly had no problem using them to make his millions of £ though]. Roger Moore's physicality came down to drinking and romancing. He was an absolute embarrassment towards the end of his time as Bond. Timothy Dalton wanted a return to a somewhat darker role, though the screenwriting was less that ideal for his interpretation of Bond. Pierce Brosnan was a redux of Roger Moore, relying on his physical appearance and supposed charm to carry the role. While Craig hates firearms, he does look more like Fleming's Bond than everyone, but Connery. He does most of his own physical stunts.

Bond was envisaged as a former SAS trooper who joined MI-6 and was additionally selected for the double 0 program based on his psychological penchant for doing "wetwork". SAS and SBS selection is brutally unforgiving and only truly hard men make it. I cannot see Roger Moore or Pierce Brosnan anywhere outside of a country club or doing anything more strenuous than a spin class or club handball tournaments. They do not come across as SF types. Connery and Craig come across as men who could do it.

Even though I loathed the latter days of Moore and Brosnan, I saw every Bond in the theatres within a couple of weeks of initial release. I have absolutely no plans to see a feminized 007 role in a movie and will probably not watch it when it comes on TBS in 12 years hence.  

Edited by blueiron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

:agree2:  Good analysis.  Thanks for that.  :agree2:

There's nothing I hate more than fight choreography that is dependent on making an un-athletic person look like they are dangerous.  With powder puff women, you'll see stuntmen shot from the back and a lot of one or two second shots trying to make it look convincing, but it never is.  I'm always on the lookout for a teenage guy in a wig made up to look like the female lead can throw powerful kicks. 

One of my favorite bond moments was when Mr. White answers his phone and has his legs shot out by a silenced rifle right after he says, "Who is this."  Then Craig walks up and says "Bond, James Bond."  A defining moment in revitalizing the genre.

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

There's nothing I hate more than fight choreography that is dependent on making an un-athletic person look like they are dangerous.  With powder puff women, you'll see stuntmen shot from the back and a lot of one or two second shots trying to make it look convincing, but it never is.  I'm always on the lookout for a teenage guy in a wig made up to look like the female lead can throw powerful kicks.

That's why Uma insisted on performing all her own swordplay without any CG.

She made them put it in the contract.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huaco Kid said:

That's why Uma insisted on performing all her own swordplay without any CG.

She made them put it in the contract.

Uma Thurmin in Kill Bill?  That one didn't make my bucket list.  She must have trained for the role.  Admirable.  

57 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

Uma Thurmin in Kill Bill?  That one didn't make my bucket list.  She must have trained for the role.  Admirable.  

The Captain Marvel actress Brie Larson trained for a year to do all her own stunts but the movie still wasn't very good.