Great value 12 gauge pump (and still getting better)

Nestor

If you or somebody you know are considering to purchase a 12 gauge pump that has a proven record, is assembled in the USA and won't break the bank...I have a hint for you.

Take a look at Maverick 88 by Mossberg. Without repeating the misinformation posted all over the place, I can tell you that the shotgun is being assembled from the parts made in the USA and Mexico in Eagle Pass, Texas. Actually it's the same facility that makes Mossberg 500 those days. It's not a coincidence BTW. Maverick 88 is in fact a bit less expensive version of this venerable, legendary pump.

Before going any farther, here is where Mossberg saves money:

- forend assembly is all polymer with the action bars pinned to it (no slide tube assembly), so to replace it, one needs to buy a whole new unit as it's impossible to take it apart. It's however perfectly functional and provides a good gripping area. Interestingly enough, lately even some of the models of Mossberg 500 are being sold with the pinned forend,

- top of the receiver is not drilled and tapped - it's just a solid surface and features anti-glare grooves along the top,

- safety is a cross bolt type, located in front of the trigger guard and not the tang one, so trigger guard assembly can't be interchanged with Mossberg 500, but all the other parts... sure can.

Now...it's just a basic, 12 gauge pump. However...lately Mossberg made Maverick 88 even better value than previously. How?

1. Bolt assembly used to be in the white. It's blued now and the same goes for the shell lifter.

2. Stock used to be smooth, cheapest polymer available. Now it's the standard 500 stock with the checkering in place (LOP is 14").

3. Recoil pad used to made out of the solid and hard rubber. Now it's ventilated, standard Mossberg 500 pad - rather soft and fully functional.

As you can see- Mossberg is still working, trying to give the buyer even more value with Maverick 88 line of shotguns. They come with the 20" barrel and 7+1 capacity (barrel is specific to that model and cannot be swapped for a hunting one. Of course you can have the standard, 18.5 barrel with 5+1 capacity that would take any Mossberg 500, standard barrel.

The best of all. You can most likely find one for under $200 US. I decided to go with the two barrel combo - 18.5" and 28" modified screw in choke for around $260 US. Now, if you buying the Mossberg 500 combo - the choke is usually fixed. Here you can replace it with another one. IMO this is the best value on the market right now.

Thanks for your time.

f12858b.jpg

fimgFna.jpg

vJWPhIe.jpg

bl9RJqf.jpg

jjSlUEj.jpg

X4fO5jh.jpg

Edited by Nestor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Since then the shotgun seen quite a few shells and sand in its action (windy day on the sandy range). I'm very happy with this thing. Close up one needs to aim a little low. Otherwise it's as good as any bumstick out there (with perfect controls for me). Even my wife likes it.

uLb7p3q.jpg

jY1Bm51.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have recommended the maverick to people with tight budgets for years and none of them have ever complained. I had no idea Mossberg owned them. The Maverick has the safety in the correct location unlike Mossberg guns I've shot.

• Like 2

On 11/25/2019 at 11:04 PM, OwlsNest465 said:

I am glad you are liking it and that it works for you but I just can't.  I see guns in a way as fine china, Mossbergs are to me like a plastic fork.  Sorry man:)

(flame suit zipped)

No problem. US Army doesn't complain about it and I'm not going to. For each his own. I used to own: current production Ithaca M37, Remington 870 Police, Remington 870 Express, Benelli Nova Tactical, Mossberg 590A1...and still own Maverick 88 and Winchester 97. Maverick is not even a slightly less of a shotgun, than any of the ones mentioned before. Cheers.

• Like 3

The Mossberg has been a law enforcement favorite forever.  Right along with the 870.  Right there with the military for decades.

The only time i had one fail was when training i managed a double feed and i beat the stock on the ground until it broke but unlocked the double feed.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The popular perception is that there are no accessories available for Maverick 88. In fact I've heard that many times from the guys in the LGS. Please, don't believe these voices. It's very easy to set up this shotgun for HD duties without spending much money. Just an example.

JVNcEiZ.jpg

AXOQ8hd.jpg

nn1xfv9.jpg

14uHlFP.jpg

All together still under $200 (not counting the flashlight which I've got for free).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...