Auto remote start from key-fob or phone.

.264 magnum

My Jeep has remote start......it's black on black and this is DFW, read HOT. I use my remote start from the key-fob over the phone app as phone starts are delayed. 

Generally I'll try to start the Jeep about 20-30 seconds before I get in, works great. When parked in the sun sometimes I'll give it 2-3 mins., again greatness. 

My wife has the feature too and virtually never uses it. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

My 2016 Camaro had remote start, fob or phone.  I rarely used it.  My 2018 Camaro is a manual transmission, so it doesn't have it.  I live just south of Atlanta, so yes, it's very hot.  I had a good ceramic based tint job on my windows and my car is rarely hot or cold enough for me to even notice when I get in.  If it's in the mid 90s I will notice it's hot when I get in, but only for a minute or two then the AC gets it under control.  There's an advantage to such a small interior, it doesn't take long to cool or heat it.

• Like 2

I also have the key fob options.  It pees me off no end when somehow I violate the digital sequence required to perform a function, and then that function doesn't work.

Opening the rear hatch from the dash or fob requires a long wait during the button push.  I hate waiting!!!!!

I also do use the start function while walking to my car, it runs the car and A/C.  I like that.

48 minutes ago, Moshe said:

I am still getting used to the push button nonsense.  Have key, push break, push button.  Wonder why I feel like I am in a tin can in a Honda Accord.

Mine doesn't even have a key hole.  If the fob battery dies you put the fob in the cupholder and the start button will work.

• Like 1

The Cadillac has a fob remote. All you need is to have it in your pocket to start/unlock the car. Kinda cool never needing to dog for your keys.

the ‘Vette has the passive lock system. When you get about ten feet away, it unlocks. Same thing to lock, just walk away from it.

still need the keys to start it though.

the Volvo has the fob remote that just goes into a slot in the dash. No metal key

everything has an app to remote start on our phones

• Like 1

The Tesla is all phone.  Carry the phone, and when you get in Bluetooth range, the AC and radio turn on, the doors unlock, and the car is ready to shift into Drive.

Also, one can use the app to enable the AC, lock the doors, set Valet Mode, see the car's location, control the charging, and summon the car out of her parking spot.

For the valet, one has a key card in the wallet that unlocks the door and "starts the motor."

4 hours ago, Dric902 said:

The old beater truck has a metallic key, gotta use it to unlock the doors and even put it in the ignition.....you even have to physically turn it and hold it there till the engine starts up.

like dinosaurs had to do

same here i go out  out no doors to open i step up in my jeep cj7  and off i go ,  in winter if i want heat , i place a piece of cardboard  in the grill to block air  ,its my heater, cause

old jeeps need good 2 to 3 hours to warm up ,. lol , i do have foot remote start  with out the key being main  starter  i roll backwards  pop the clutch starts right up   ?  .im getting ready to buy a 2015 z28  but they are are all manual  so no remote 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dric902 said:

The Cadillac has a fob remote. All you need is to have it in your pocket to start/unlock the car. Kinda cool never needing to dog for your keys.

the ‘Vette has the passive lock system. When you get about ten feet away, it unlocks. Same thing to lock, just walk away from it.

still need the keys to start it though.

the Volvo has the fob remote that just goes into a slot in the dash. No metal key

everything has an app to remote start on our phones

Right. I walk up to my Camaro and it unlocks, get in and push start. Get where I’m going, get out and walk away, it locks. If it gets dark the lights come on, gets light they turn off. If it’s hot the AC cools it to 73, if it’s cold it heats to 73. If I need directions I ask and they pop up on the screen. Same for making a call, just say call X. Just about any song ever recorded is a voice command away. All hands free. No need to look away from the road to check speed, etc. the HUD tells me speed, gear, rpms, gforce, and even gives me a green, yellow, red, Christmas tree readout for performance upshifts. 

Best car ever!

• Like 1

Shoot... My old Dodge takes a hard key to unlock the door, then a brief exorcism, four Hail-Mary's, and a repeat oath of allegiance to Zog before she turns over.

You want air conditioning? 2x65. Roll down both windows and drive 65mph.

She ain't much to look at, but she's all mine. October's coming, we'll have great ac then.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

When car alarms were brand new,  people would hang out in their apartment's windows,  just waiting to honk the horn whenever anyone walked by.

We were hilarious back then.  It's all we had.

Remember when you had to adjust the sensitivity or they would just go off if you walked near them?

Good times.

On 7/16/2019 at 7:04 PM, Wyzz Kydd said:

Right. I walk up to my Camaro and it unlocks, get in and push start. Get where I’m going, get out and walk away, it locks. If it gets dark the lights come on, gets light they turn off. If it’s hot the AC cools it to 73, if it’s cold it heats to 73. If I need directions I ask and they pop up on the screen. Same for making a call, just say call X. Just about any song ever recorded is a voice command away. All hands free. No need to look away from the road to check speed, etc. the HUD tells me speed, gear, rpms, gforce, and even gives me a green, yellow, red, Christmas tree readout for performance upshifts. 

Best car ever!

So you have onstar? I was thinking about that. Kind of spendy for me and how much I would use it, not often.

Your car sounds like Kit from knight rider. I wish there was a Silverado like this with the HUD and all. Sounds super cool.

The truck came with remote start, but I couldn’t tell if the truck was locked. I got the kind that I had in the tundra that shows it’s status, I’m happy. I use it every time I use the truck in the summer.

Edited by NPTim
  • Like 1