Army's New Pistols Often Eject Live Rounds and Don't Work Well With Regular Bullets

pipedreams

"The U.S. Army’s decision to select two versions of Sig Sauer’s 9mm P320 pistol as the new standard sidearms across the service was not without controversy, including a formal protest by competing gun maker Glock, which claimed the service didn't complete certain critical tests. The Pentagon recently released a report that shows testing of the M17 and M18 handguns exposed a number of significant and persistent deficiencies, including firing accidentally if a shooter dropped the gun, ejecting live ammunition, and low reliability with traditional "ball" cartridges with bullets enclosed inside a full metal jacket."  

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/18047/armys-new-pistols-often-eject-live-rounds-and-dont-work-well-with-regular-bullets

• Sad 1

Strange that the gun has trouble feeding FMJ's. Eventually, in a couple of years maybe, Sig will fix all the problems.  Too bad they didn't pick the Glock, but the Sig was cheaper. I figure on waiting another six months to a year before getting a Sig P365.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
48 minutes ago, Cheygriz said:

OTOH, I had no complaints whatsoever with the M9, and I don;t know why they replaced it.

Reliability in sandy environments comes to mind. 

the M9 doesn't function well in sandy environments when it's not well lubricated and cleaned constantly. This is true for the M16A2 as well.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/beretta-92fs-torture-test.297478/

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 2:10 PM, minervadoe said:

Reliability in sandy environments comes to mind. 

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/beretta-92fs-torture-test.297478/

We treated the M9 and the M16 about as poorly as it gets. Exposure to salt water, sand, gravel, mud, dirt, dust, and a lot of things we didn't know what it was, and didn't want to. From frozen tundra to desert operations.

Both did take maintenance, both were reliable and functioned because our lives depended on it. Many of us, if not all, had a problem with the ammo we were forced to use, but that is another story. The M9 was long in the tooth and from my understanding replacement parts were beginning to mount as well as cost. Someone else will have to tell us what the .gov paid for the Sigs and the service contracts.

The army wrote a set of perimeters for a pistol that either didn't exist, or was in early stages, and even now NO ONE but Sig makes one. Tell you anything>

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 2/10/2020 at 1:17 PM, Cheygriz said:

I have the civilian version, the DIG P320.

Accurate, deadnuts reliable and near perfect ergonomics. What's not to like?

OTOH, I had no complaints whatsoever with the M9, and I don;t know why they replaced it.

Someone needed contracts. 

• Like 2