iOS or Android

Gun Shark

On 7/2/2018 at 6:50 AM, Roger1079 said:

I've always loved being able to tinker with my mobile devices so I've given Android a try several times with flagships from HTC and Samsung. That I needed a custom ROM to have the phone just function reliably with decent battery life soured it for me. Granted, this was 5 years ago and Android has come a long way, but I chose right out of the box stability in the end. That and a 1 to 20 ratio of good apps vs something some beginner built on a weekend has made me not look back. Just my .02

Not sure what phones you tried.. but that has not been my experience with Android at all.  Even Samsung and HTC make some cheapies.  My phones (from a cheap Lg Venice, to my Nexus 5, Nexus 6, and now my One Plus 5).. have been fantastic for me... I'd have bailed on Android a while ago if it wasn't, as I use stuff that works, and don't concern myself with anything else.

On 7/2/2018 at 5:50 AM, Roger1079 said:

I've always loved being able to tinker with my mobile devices so I've given Android a try several times with flagships from HTC and Samsung. That I needed a custom ROM to have the phone just function reliably with decent battery life soured it for me. Granted, this was 5 years ago and Android has come a long way, but I chose right out of the box stability in the end. That and a 1 to 20 ratio of good apps vs something some beginner built on a weekend has made me not look back. Just my .02

I would venture a guess that you fell victim to some manufacturer's custom UI add on. Many manufacturers seem to insist on putting their own layer of crud on top of Android to make it "theirs". Problem is they really don't spend enough time debugging their software and then problems like you mention arise. If they would just leave it stock Android then it would be fine. As for apps, there really isn't a lack of good apps anymore. True, you may only have ten choices on Android vs twenty on iOS, but you're only going to install one anyway.

Edited by Geko45

I like iPhones and used a 6 for almost 3 years. That being said, I won't buy another until Apple starts allowing me some basic control/configuration over my phone. 

1. When I connect my phone to my PC, I should have full read/write access to pics, vids, music, ringtones, docs, and downloads folders without requiring additional software. 

2. The user should be allowed to select a default mail client, web browser, and maps app. Once selected as the default, those apps should fire when I click something relevant to said apps.

Its ******* ridiculous the stupid restrictions Apple forces in the name what they think is the correct way of doing things. 

If Google ever gets the update horseshit sorted out and puts a stop to carriers and OEMs from installing junk apps at the system level preventing removal, Apple is going to be in real trouble.

The only reason to have an iPhone at this point is A, You're heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem, B, Apple doesn't allow carrier installed garbage and C, Apple dictates the update cycle, not stupid ass carriers.

Hardware wise, they're solid and the Apple SOC is the best there is in the mobile world. Most phones are fast enough at this point, though.

Edited by vram74
  • Like 2

I personally don't care about any of that. If not for needing the ability to teather my phone for use as a hot spot and display weather radar when I am on my motorcycle, I would not have a smart(yea right) phone at all.

I have had iPhones since 1.0 and have in the past really like them. Then came the original iPad. I saw that and said, if they would make it just a little smaller.... 

Enter the iPad mini. I have had zero need for all but the above mentioned uses for the smart(yea right)phone ever since I got my mini.

As far as I am concerned, smart phones entered a death spiral some time ago.

51 minutes ago, ivanwi11iams said:

"Death spiral" of the smartphone? 

I just can't see that happening somehow. If anything, the features and services offered by smartphone will only grow, and grow. 

They can add on as many features and services as they want. To me, tablets rendered smartphones irrelevant, but if you are content doing things on a smaller butt dialing device, more power to ya.

4 minutes ago, jmohme said:

They can add on as many features and services as they want. To me, tablets rendered smartphones irrelevant, but if you are content doing things on a smaller butt dialing device, more power to ya.

Ah, you're talking about in relation to screen size. 

I now see where you're coming from. Alas, I do think, just like how we had the return of bell bottoms, we will have the return of the smaller screen, too. Just not sure when ;) 

9 minutes ago, ivanwi11iams said:

Ah, you're talking about in relation to screen size. 

I now see where you're coming from. Alas, I do think, just like how we had the return of bell bottoms, we will have the return of the smaller screen, too. Just not sure when ;) 

Bell bottoms were no good the first time around. :D

• Like 1

I have an Iphone 6, Ipad Air 2 and just got an Apple watch. I like the idea that the iOS system is less likely to get a birus, wyrm etc if it isn't jail broken. With what Apple charges the stuff better last a while. 

32 minutes ago, JMag said:

9428342307593c8b7ca24ab9e825f7a7.png

An Android FYI from earlier today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This kind of thing is bound to happen from time to time.

People store far to much personal stuff on their phones. I do not store any financial data. and only have maybe 10 pictures on my phone, and those are mostly from when my wife sent me to pick up something at the store and I sent her a picture to verify that I grabbed the right thing.

18 minutes ago, jmohme said:

This kind of thing is bound to happen from time to time.

People store far to much personal stuff on their phones. I do not store any financial data. and only have maybe 10 pictures on my phone, and those are mostly from when my wife sent me to pick up something at the store and I sent her a picture to verify that I grabbed the right thing.

Yes, and the fact that sharing info in an unauthorized manner can, has, and should be used against them  - is something we need to remember.