iOS or Android

Gun Shark

All iPhones here. Wouldn't mind switching to Android at some point but I feel we are to invested at this point between music and apps. And that's the big issue in my mind, it's to expesnive to switch once you get invested in either system. 

Edited by Sprout

Just now, Sprout said:

All iPhones here. Wouldn't mind switching to Android at some point but I feel we are to invested at this point between music and apps. And that's the big issue in my mind, it's to expesnive to switch once you get invested in either system. 

How so?  Unless you have a ton of apps you pay for (I don't), it shouldn't cost you anything... You can't just transfer your music to an Android phone?.. if not, do you even own it?  Virtually every iOS app out there, has either an Android port, or an Android alternative.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IndyGunFreak said:

How so?  Unless you have a ton of apps you pay for (I don't), it shouldn't cost you anything... You can't just transfer your music to an Android phone?.. if not, do you even own it?  Virtually every iOS app out there, has either an Android port, or an Android alternative.

I have about 15 apps I paid for. Some cheap, some a few bucks. The rest were free. The Apps aren't really the problem for me it's the music. I didn't think you could transfer music purchased through iTunes to Android.  I have some stored on my computer that came from CDs that I could move over but have quite a bit of iTunes purchased music as well. If I'm wrong about transferring iTunes purchased music please let me know. That would be great. I really wouldn't mind trying an Android phone at some point. 

26 minutes ago, IndyGunFreak said:

I don't use iTunes, as I said.. but this was the first thing to turn up in Google..

http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-transfer-music-itunes-android-230232/

Surely this is possible...

That is great! Looks like I was very wrong about it. I was always under the impression iTunes music couldn't be transferred to Android and never took the time to do any research. Thank you.

I use IOS but only because of my hearing aids.

My hearing aids will bluetooth directly to apple products but not to android (unless you use an intermediary device).

I dislike itunes and miss the ease of moving files that android allows.

I now have an iphone and ipad both are good but I feel like I have been assimilated.

I have used both and currently use IOS.  The main reasons why I have an iPhone is for iTunes and because the phone seems more solid and sturdy than many of the Android phones I've seen.  once my iPhone bites the dust I will likely look at an Android phone since the iPhones are getting too costly.

Android all the way here, all my devices are unlocked, rooted, Xposed, etc. Have a dedicated Ubuntu VM exclusively for building my own ROMs straight from AOSP sources. I tend to keep my devices a long time and continue to upgrade them well after the manufacturer has discontinued updates.

• Like 1

Android. 

Primarily because when I got my first smart phone, a Motorola Droid, Verizon didn't yet have any phones from iPhone. 

The Motorola was a POS, so I changed just as soon as I could and went with a Samsung Galaxy S4. I've had multiple Samsung products over the years, and not one has ever given me any trouble.

I'm closing in on 4 years with my S4, and it's finally starting to age out. It doesn't have enough memory, I'm looking at replacing the battery again, and the buttons are starting to get ratchety. 

But I HATE to get rid of it because I love the thing so much. 

• 9 months later...
On 9/7/2017 at 2:03 PM, Maccabeus said:

Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile!  But, sadly, not for long since even Microsoft is abandoning it.  >:(  :cry:

I love the live tiles and the UI in general.

Started on iPhone, but hate both iTunes and the lack of customization.  I'm not a big fan of Google either and since I was already using most of Microsoft's services, I went to Windows Phone and was very pleased until recently when Microsoft started making better apps for the competition than for their own devices.

I've all but decided to switch to Android.  But, I'm also not interested in blowing big money every year or two for the latest greatest.  Assuming no major glitches show up in India where it has already been released, I will likely buy a Moto G5S Plus when released in the states.

I fell in love with the WP OS pretty quick. My first smart phone was a Palm Treo 650 at work then moved to a Samsung Blackjack 2 before we switched completely to Blackberries. I became a big fan of the Blackberry phones and never thought I'd be able to get along without a physical keyboard. When BB started dying off, the company decided iPhone was the way to go but I was able to convince the guy making the decision that I needed to try a Windows phone and ended up with a Nokia 820 and became hooked on that OS. Eventually upgraded to a 920 and then the 950. Around the time they released WP10, I started losing interest very quickly because it felt like I was beta testing the OS for them. Every fracking update they released caused new issues and got annoying real quick.

I wasn't too surprised when MS announced the end of the WP OS but made the switch to Android and couldn't be happier! I've got a Samsung Note 8 and love this phone and OS and really glad to see MS re-focusing on making apps for Android work really well. I've been using the Microsoft Launcher as well as Edge browser for a while now and still surprised how much I like them.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2017 at 2:03 PM, Maccabeus said:

Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile!  But, sadly, not for long since even Microsoft is abandoning it.  >:(  :cry:

I love the live tiles and the UI in general.

Started on iPhone, but hate both iTunes and the lack of customization.  I'm not a big fan of Google either and since I was already using most of Microsoft's services, I went to Windows Phone and was very pleased until recently when Microsoft started making better apps for the competition than for their own devices.

I've all but decided to switch to Android.  But, I'm also not interested in blowing big money every year or two for the latest greatest.  Assuming no major glitches show up in India where it has already been released, I will likely buy a Moto G5S Plus when released in the states.

I fell in love with the WP OS pretty quick. My first smart phone was a Palm Treo 650 at work then moved to a Samsung Blackjack 2 before we switched completely to Blackberries. I became a big fan of the Blackberry phones and never thought I'd be able to get along without a physical keyboard. When BB started dying off, the company decided iPhone was the way to go but I was able to convince the guy making the decision that I needed to try a Windows phone and ended up with a Nokia 820 and became hooked on that OS. Eventually upgraded to a 920 and then the 950. Around the time they released WP10, I started losing interest very quickly because it felt like I was beta testing the OS for them. Every fracking update they released caused new issues and got annoying real quick.

I wasn't too surprised when MS announced the end of the WP OS but made the switch to Android and couldn't be happier! I've got a Samsung Note 8 and love this phone and OS and really glad to see MS re-focusing on making apps for Android work really well. I've been using the Microsoft Launcher as well as Edge browser for a while now and still surprised how much I like them.

On 6/30/2018 at 2:18 PM, BadAndy said:

While I thought I would miss WP (and I definitely enjoyed it while I was using it), I'm been more than satisfied with Android's experience.  Although, I still don't like the idea of giving Google any support.

I did end up buying the Moto G5S Plus, but sold it off and replaced it with an Amazon G5 Plus, which has been more than I need and a perfectly good phone.  (The G5S Plus that I had first turned out to have a less impressive camera than the G5 Plus in most circumstances and it had an easily cracked screen. Cracked through a case from a 2' fall!.  After eating the cost of the repair, I sold it for the other model).

I briefly considered a launcher that would emulate Windows Phone, but decided to just move on.  I ended up trying Arrow, now Microsoft Launcher, and like it just fine.

My $185 Amazon special Moto does everything I want it to and more.  The camera isn't as nice as my Lumia 950, obviously, but it is adequate and way better than the one on the Lumia 850 I had before.

Edited by Maccabeus

2 hours ago, Maccabeus said:

While I thought I would miss WP (and I definitely enjoyed it while I was using it), I'm been more than satisfied with Android's experience.  Although, I still don't like the idea of giving Google any support.

I did end up buying the Moto G5S Plus, but sold it off and replaced it with an Amazon G5 Plus, which has been more than I need and a perfectly good phone.  (The G5S Plus that I had first turned out to have a less impressive camera than the G5 Plus in most circumstances and it had an easily cracked screen. Cracked through a case from a 2' fall!.  After eating the cost of the repair, I sold it for the other model.

I briefly considered a launcher that would emulate Windows Phone, but decided to just move on.  I ended up trying Arrow, now Microsoft Launcher, and like it just fine.

My $185 Amazon special Moto does everything I want it too and more.  The camera isn't as nice as my Lumia 950, obviously, but it is adequate and way better than the one on the Lumia 850 I had before.

It's funny you mention trying a launcher to try getting the look of the WP UI because that was one of the things I really liked about WP over Android and iOS. The live tiles were pretty cool and it would be nice if MS could somehow include that type of layout or even theme just to see how it would work out.

Android by a wide margin. An iPhone 4 and an iPad 2 taught me to hate iOS with a passion. Both had issues the second the warranty up and dealing with Apple was like dealing with the IRS. I quickly learned that you own an Android, but you are only renting an Apple product. As far as Apple is concerned it's theirs and they will decided what you can do with it and when. They also intentionally slow down their machines with each update to cohere you into upgrading (true story, look it up). My wife is still running an iPhone but I have become a devote Samsung/Android fan since making the upgrade and freeing myself from the bondage that is crApple. ;)

I used to be a MOD on CrackBerry.com, then I strayed from BlackBerry to Android, then to iOS. 

For the last few years, I have been mainly iOS. Currently, I am virtually locked in the iOS ecosystem (just watched a video about this today, by MKBHD). At the moment I own and use an iPhone X, iMac, Apple Watch, and iPad. As much as I would like to get a Note 8 again (had one for a few weeks), I just feel tied to the iOS ecosystem. With the likes of iMessage, and being able to continue a conversation from my iPhone, iMac or iPad, makes it difficult. 

PS: I now use MFA (Multifactor Authentication) and it makes it more difficult to swap devices back and forth... 

Edited by ivanwi11iams
Adding note about MFA

I think google is evil, and will not use their products.   

Of the smartphones, I use iOS. On my second phone (4s, 6s plus) and will buy again in a year or so. It integrates with my 2 iPads (ipad2, iPad mini) and my MacBook so I can text or answer calls with what I'm holding - useful when one is on crutches permanently.   Bought the MacBook because I refuse to operate Windows 10. 

I liken Android to marriage, I'm glad it works for some, but it's not allowed in my house. 

I've always loved being able to tinker with my mobile devices so I've given Android a try several times with flagships from HTC and Samsung. That I needed a custom ROM to have the phone just function reliably with decent battery life soured it for me. Granted, this was 5 years ago and Android has come a long way, but I chose right out of the box stability in the end. That and a 1 to 20 ratio of good apps vs something some beginner built on a weekend has made me not look back. Just my .02

Edited by Roger1079

On 7/2/2018 at 6:50 AM, Roger1079 said:

I've always loved being able to tinker with my mobile devices so I've given Android a try several times with flagships from HTC and Samsung. That I needed a custom ROM to have the phone just function reliably with decent battery life soured it for me. Granted, this was 5 years ago and Android has come a long way, but I chose right out of the box stability in the end. That and a 1 to 20 ratio of good apps vs something some beginner built on a weekend has made me not look back. Just my .02

Some very good points here. Especially about stable out of the box.

Like them or not, Apple make some stable and reliable products... 

• Like 2

On 6/30/2018 at 7:11 PM, BadAndy said:

It's funny you mention trying a launcher to try getting the look of the WP UI because that was one of the things I really liked about WP over Android and iOS. The live tiles were pretty cool and it would be nice if MS could somehow include that type of layout or even theme just to see how it would work out.

If you haven't looked for it already, there are several launcher options out there. Launcher 10, Square Home 2, etc.  Some mimic Mobile, some your computer desktop.  Search Windows Mobile Launcher in the play store. Unfortunately, I can't comment on them first hand. Even though I considered them, I decided to leave WM entirely, and never experimented with any.

1 minute ago, Maccabeus said:

If you haven't looked for it already, there are several launcher options out there. Launcher 10, Square Home 2, etc.  Some mimic Mobile, some your computer desktop.  Search Windows Mobile Launcher in the play store. Unfortunately, I can't comment on them first hand. Even though I considered them, I decided to leave WM entirely, and never experimented with any.

I checked out Launcher 10 after your previous post and was pretty impressed with the look but felt kinda the same way. I'm done with WM and like the Android setup.

• Like 1