I guess there is not an exercise forum, anyway

ARP

A long time ago, I bought a used Soloflex machine. Used it on and off over the years, parts wore out and broke. Once upon a time I was going to sell it for scrap. I did not, found out you could convert it to use free weights with it to mainly do push type of exercises. Did that for a few years. Recently discovered that you can buy replacement rubber to revive your old machine. Think I am going to do it. Cheaper and less time consuming than joining a gym or buying more free weights. 

Have been reading about what Tom Brady does for strength and conditioning. Says he has not lifted weights for 10 years, uses rubber bands resistance and muscle elongation exercises with his personal trainer (big controversy within the organization with that). I have witnessed pro and college athletes using the rubber bands as rehab and warm up type workouts. Don't misunderstand Brady has very good genes going for him. I look at this from the standpoint I originally bought the machine for, a workout with low risk of injury from using, and can use in home. Back to the future. That machine has been on the market for 40 years.

Need to read more about this muscle elongation theory. Not worried about gaining size, just get those stabilizing exercises going.

• Like 1

Honestly - resistance is resistance for the most part.  There are arguments that bands increase resistance near the top of the exercise while weights reduce (because of bio-mechanical angles).  This can be used to an advantage if you use both for training.  Some guys use chains to make the bar get heavier as it moves up as well.

Bands are more portable and in some ways safer because there is no actual weight to drop on yourself.  But there's not a hell of a lot you can't do with free weights.

Sometimes getting weight into position for an exercise is harder than the actual exercise.  I've experience that with overhead work with a dumbbell.  Bands would be better in that regard I guess. 

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

I use a band for rotator-cuff exercises. Works very well.

But weights.......used correctly.....they're amazing.

Well, I really am not that enthused about buying a lot of new equipment. Like more plates and a bench and collars and bars and....

I can probably get the benefits I need with resistance machines if used correctly.

My biggest risk of not having or being in a steady state of physical condition is a risk of joint injury from moving luggage, lack of core strength (I walk with a 20lb weighted vest from V-force, 3-4 miles per session, weight sits high on chest, helps with balance/core strength/leg ankle foot knees quads lower back gluts) when I am not concussed like I am now. The resistance will help with arms chest shoulders back to keep what I have.

1 hour ago, Bish1309 said:

I have a bowflex that works great. Wish I used it.

what is wrong with your bowflex? 

Was doing some reading today about the various machines, the guy that invented Soloflex sued the snot out of Bowflex, Nordic track, and others. I was searching around for the resistance bands for the Soloflex machine, there are aftermarket options available along with the originals up to the full machines. They are going for $2k! A full set of factory bands are $500 for the heavy set and about $400 for a lighter set, there are cheaper aftermarket options for around $200. Probably where I will end up.

57 minutes ago, ARP said:

what is wrong with your bowflex? 

Was doing some reading today about the various machines, the guy that invented Soloflex sued the snot out of Bowflex, Nordic track, and others. I was searching around for the resistance bands for the Soloflex machine, there are aftermarket options available along with the originals up to the full machines. They are going for $2k! A full set of factory bands are $500 for the heavy set and about $400 for a lighter set, there are cheaper aftermarket options for around $200. Probably where I will end up.

Neglect by the old guy....

I really enjoy it but it seems like once I get on a schedule, the first speed bump and it sits for another 6 months unused. It's all me.

1 hour ago, Bish1309 said:

Neglect by the old guy....

I really enjoy it but it seems like once I get on a schedule, the first speed bump and it sits for another 6 months unused. It's all me.

I know the situation well. It seems like I get started and the workouts feel good and something breaks the routine and getting restarted stalls out.  I have always tried to put it "all" together, diet/strength/cardio and sometimes I get close on 2 of the 3. Cardio for example: I was heavily into bicycle riding for a number of years. doing 3K+ miles a year. Invested. I still have my investments and they are currently in my garage collecting dust. I swear this year I am going to get back out and ride even if it means using the lights and riding after dark (why did I buy them in the first place!?) I'll bet I did not do more than 100 miles last year. Part of the reason I scaled back was I don't ride on roads any longer, but there is a jewel of a rail to trail about 20 miles from me, takes an hour 20 mins to ride it, just enough to get a solid ride in. Time too, have to carve out and commit to use it. And that personal commitment is my biggest failure. Just like getting to the range, I own thousands in guns and struggle to get meaningful range time in. It gotta change.

• Thanks 1

I hate bands.  But I love my kettlebells.  Well, I love them on Mondays and Tuesdays.  I still kind of like them on Wednesdays.  On Thursdays I hate them.  And I take the next three days off to get my loving-them mojo back.  This is not the recommended schedule.  It is just what I end up doing because both my daughters take kettlebell classes for homeschool PE, and they refuse to be in the same class together.  Sigh.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ARP said:

I know the situation well. It seems like I get started and the workouts feel good and something breaks the routine and getting restarted stalls out.  I have always tried to put it "all" together, diet/strength/cardio and sometimes I get close on 2 of the 3. Cardio for example: I was heavily into bicycle riding for a number of years. doing 3K+ miles a year. Invested. I still have my investments and they are currently in my garage collecting dust. I swear this year I am going to get back out and ride even if it means using the lights and riding after dark (why did I buy them in the first place!?) I'll bet I did not do more than 100 miles last year. Part of the reason I scaled back was I don't ride on roads any longer, but there is a jewel of a rail to trail about 20 miles from me, takes an hour 20 mins to ride it, just enough to get a solid ride in. Time too, have to carve out and commit to use it. And that personal commitment is my biggest failure. Just like getting to the range, I own thousands in guns and struggle to get meaningful range time in. It gotta change.

We must be related somehow except you may have me on the "caliber" counting...hahah see what I did there? Yeah, me neither.

I did get my very nice Citi-lite bicycle down from the garage hanger. I actually put air in the tires. Then I mowed the lawn. I did rehang it right before starting the snow blower.

You know, hanging and taking down the bike every year, that in and of itself is a workout.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bish1309 said:

We must be related somehow except you may have me on the "caliber" counting...hahah see what I did there? Yeah, me neither.

I did get my very nice Citi-lite bicycle down from the garage hanger. I actually put air in the tires. Then I mowed the lawn. I did rehang it right before starting the snow blower.

You know, hanging and taking down the bike every year, that in and of itself is a workout.

I got multiple bikes from a cheapo 1978 bike I bought before starting college that is now a single speed, to a $4K race ready titanium CF wunder bike.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PATCHMAN said:

I tried exercise once.  Didn't like it.  Never tried it again.  

My impression is that it's too much like work.  You might as well do work.  Then at then end of the day you have something tangible to show for the effort.

I had some hand surgery done and I was told to be sure to go to physical therapy.  At therapy I was told how to exercise my hand, which seemed to be the same things I was doing only with hand tools.  I chose the hand tools.  Hand and fingers are fine.

I have a neighbor that will go to the health place to walk for exercise.  Walking in the neighborhood seems to be demeaning for him.

Oh, had to add, that on inclement weather days he doesn't drive to get his walking in, so if he walked in the neighbor hood and didn't walk during inclement weather, nothing would change.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, janice6 said:

My impression is that it's too much like work.  You might as well do work.  Then at then end of the day you have something tangible to show for the effort.

I had some hand surgery done and I was told to be sure to go to physical therapy.  At therapy I was told how to exercise my hand, which seemed to be the same things I was doing only with hand tools.  I chose the hand tools.  Hand and fingers are fine.

I have a neighbor that will go to the health place to walk for exercise.  Walking in the neighborhood seems to be demeaning for him.

Oh, had to add, that on inclement weather days he doesn't drive to get his walking in, so if he walked in the neighbor hood and didn't walk during inclement weather, nothing would change.

The county has 2 options available to me, 7 miles away for walking, indoor track and outdoor trail, I don't live in a neighborhood.  Walk along the road, take the chance of getting hit or people throwing stuff at you. Don't trust riding my bicycle on the road any longer, texters too in attentive, I have too much at stake to risk that at this point in life. It is one of those use it or lose it things.

I use weights some, but also have a TRX strap system thingie that hangs from the ceiling. I enjoy it more than picking up weights. You can regulate the amount of resistance by simply changing the angle you lean from. It's very safe on my aging joints, and helps me keep all my shoulder junk together. After a shoulder dislocation/broken humerus, and also after neck fusion and partial nerve damage and muscle damage, it's been very helpful for recovery.

36 minutes ago, ARP said:

The county has 2 options available to me, 7 miles away for walking, indoor track and outdoor trail, I don't live in a neighborhood.  Walk along the road, take the chance of getting hit or people throwing stuff at you. Don't trust riding my bicycle on the road any longer, texters too in attentive, I have too much at stake to risk that at this point in life. It is one of those use it or lose it things.

Different conditions, different decisions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

As I think about it, I have a few more options I might try this year to keep things fresh, the local HS is available (track or road around the outside) and there is an athletic field complex, but unsure what is all there. 

• Like 1