Mary Poppins is Now a Racist

steve4102

Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews with soot on their faces in Disney’s “Mary Poppins”

You may never see the 1964 film “Mary Poppins” on television again – now that the New York Times has labeled it racist.

In a piece for the paper by Professor Daniel Pollack-Pelzner, criticizes one of the film’s iconic moments, when Mary Poppins joins Dick Van Dyke’s Bert to dance on a rooftop for the classic song “Step in Time.”

He writes: “When the magical nanny (played by Julie Andrews) accompanies her young charges, Michael and Jane Banks, up their chimney, her face gets covered in soot, but instead of wiping it off, she gamely powders her nose and cheeks even blacker.”

Julie Andrews applying soot to her face in “Mary Poppins” (courtesy Disney)

Even Times readers were skeptical about the claim.

One wrote online: “I think this is a reach. She was friends with a chimney sweep. When she went out and danced with him she got soot on her face if I recall this correctly.”

Another wrote: “Mary Poppins wasn’t flirting with black face! It was soot in their faces from being a chimney!!!”

https://www.wnd.com/2019/02/new-york-times-mary-poppins-racist/

• Thanks 1

Someone who wants to make something racist that is not.  I find Family Guy occasionally amusing.  Mort the Jew, doesn't offend me.  I don't hear an outcry about that.  Or, how about the AIDS song from sang by a Barbershop quartet.  The song Down Syndrome Girl?

• Like 1

Why isn't the media outragred about the Democrat Governor of Virginia who had a blatantly racist nickname that referred to his posing in blackface next so someone dressed as a Klansman in his college yearbook? If this was a Republican governor we'd never hear the end of it and no one would even be talking about anything else.

But as it is, the story is hardly even mentioned..

245.JPG

• Like 1

Someone saw a picture similar to this one and, even after it was explained to them what they were looking at, called it racist:

2511f076-7ce0-44ab-a1a0-fac8098158b2-bla

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/2019/01/28/downtown-phoenix-photo-men-soot-blackface/2683881002/

I think what REALLY offended the millenial who griped is that it was a picture of guys who actually worked for a living.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One summer in high school, we worked at a foundry warehouse, dahntahn.  Sometimes, we had to cut open 80lb bags of powered graphite and dump them into 55gal drums.  (no safety equipment at all.  we probably should be dead by now)

At the end of the day,  all you could see of us was eyeballs and teeth and nips.

• Thanks 1