My new mattress, it's too hard

ARP

I got it about 2 months ago, I like firm and supportive. It has little give. I currently have 2 thick wool blankets folded twice over as padding. I'm a side sleeper, my hips are sore enough in the morning it hurts to walk. Gotta take ibuprofen for relief. Shoulder hurts a bit too. I'm thinking about shopping for a topper, like a 2" foam pad. Not interested in memory foam, I think those might be like laying in goo that forms around you. 

Anyone try a topper?

13 minutes ago, Presguy said:

If you have a foam/fabric store nearby, go see if you can just buy a bulk cut piece of foam (like by the yard). It's often the exact same thing as a mattress pad, but a fraction of the price.

That "foam" is not Memory foam, it's just foam similar to what is found in chairs and cushions. 

from what I have seen so far, Kohls seems to have a good selection, Im gonna look at a 2,2.5" topper. Need to find one that will take the edge off the hip pain. And it might be temporary, I spoke with the store I bought from, they say takes a few months of use to soften up. Unfortunately, I sleep on it about 4 nights a week.  They are around $100.

If you don't like memory foam consider latex. Might be a bit more expensive, but a different feel. I got one for our Tempurpedic  which I felt was too soft and squishy. The latex is supportive but also being susceptible to hip pain it works well for me. 

First thing I did after divorce: Kicked out the soft foam crap and replaced it with a super stiff mattress from IKEA. European style, no spring-box either, and the entire bed is elevated by 6 inches at the head. No more back pain, no more heartburn, and I don't wake up at night anymore. IMO you get used to a hard mattress, but soft kills your joints eventually.

Well, broke the piggy bank open last night and went shopping for some relief. I went to a local Kohls store and they had a good display of toppers. I was able to squeeze all of them to get an idea of what might work for me. Ended up buying a Columbia Sportwear ??? air foam 3" thick topper that came with a cooling cover. Slept on it last night, did not have any pressure point hip or shoulder pain this morning. I think this might be what I need, will reserve judgement for a few more nights of test sleep.

If the store you bought it from has a return or exchange policy as most do now, I would recommend exchanging it.

I’ve been in the bedding industry for 30 years and have never heard of a new mattress taking several months to break in.

You should not have to go and buy an aftermarket product to make a brand new mattress comfortable. The store that told you it takes 4 months to break in just doesn’t want to hassle with a return.

On 11/21/2018 at 11:49 PM, ARP said:

Not interested in memory foam, I think those might be like laying in goo that forms around you.

That's like saying "Not interested in the wheel, I don't think it's got any future applications."

Trust me, a memory foam (topper, at least) is exactly what you want. Just do it.

On 11/29/2018 at 1:38 PM, M&P15T said:

That's like saying "Not interested in the wheel, I don't think it's got any future applications."

Trust me, a memory foam (topper, at least) is exactly what you want. Just do it.

Gel polyurethane foam is what I ended up with. I have slept on it about 5 times now. I have no hip or shoulder pain since using it. It is called air foam. It is 3" thick, and has a firmness that the other 5-6? models did not have. Returns to flat within a minute if I change position or roll over, I can feel it rising after I move.