Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine

DrB

I had one a long time ago,  at 17 or 18,  I liked it a lot, but doggone did that thing kick!!  Had the bayonet too.

I had a No.4 Mk1 and a No.1 Mk III also, but that jungle carbine would give my shoulder a big bruise every time

Yours looks very nice!

You need to get some ammo and shoot that bad boy. But first you need to get one of these because the hard rubber butt pads on those guns were devious torture devices. You can even wear them under your short so no one knows that you're cheating. Get the thickest "Magnum" pad that they make, I use mine for bench resting 3 inch magnum 12 gauge slugs.

recoil.jpg

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2018 at 7:34 PM, Borg warner said:

You need to get some ammo and shoot that bad boy. But first you need to get one of these because the hard rubber butt pads on those guns were devious torture devices. You can even wear them under your short so no one knows that you're cheating. Get the thickest "Magnum" pad that they make, I use mine for bench resting 3 inch magnum 12 gauge slugs.

recoil.jpg

Good idea.  The rifle does kick....  I shot it with some original cordite British ammo once years ago..  Some was fine but others was click.... wait.....then boom....

Recoil is a function of gun mass as well. The Jungle carbine is a cut down smaller lighter version of the Smellies. The war utilized metal but plates for face mashing and typically weren't very cushiony. So these would make this particular gun a bit less pleasent than your typical modern .303.

3 hours ago, EdTracker said:

Recoil is a function of gun mass as well. The Jungle carbine is a cut down smaller lighter version of the Smellies. The war utilized metal but plates for face mashing and typically weren't very cushiony. So these would make this particular gun a bit less pleasent than your typical modern .303.

Yes, but the JC is still a 7 lb rifle, shooting a relatively mild cartridge. 

Ive also never seen a “modern” 303, as the rimmed cartridge is hard for most bolt guns to accept. 

• Like 1

oMy thoughts with "modern" were large soft recoil pad or a semi-auto variant (though they are very rare due to the rimmed cartridge). My M1A in 308 shoots smoother (less perceived recoil) than my Winchester 94 carbine in 30-30.

There is no doubt that the 303 is not a spunky round.

I guess the push feed versus controlled feed in bolt guns never seems to end. LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EdTracker said:

oMy thoughts with "modern" were large soft recoil pad or a semi-auto variant (though they are very rare due to the rimmed cartridge). My M1A in 308 shoots smoother (less perceived recoil) than my Winchester 94 carbine in 30-30.

There is no doubt that the 303 is not a spunky round.

I guess the push feed versus controlled feed in bolt guns never seems to end. LOL

Well when you’re shooting a rimmed cartridge you only get CRF 

11 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

Yes, but the JC is still a 7 lb rifle, shooting a relatively mild cartridge. 

Ive also never seen a “modern” 303, as the rimmed cartridge is hard for most bolt guns to accept. 

Yes, but the Jungle carbine has a torture device fort a recoil pad which transfers the recoil to a very small area. As a concession to comfort the added a tiny "recoil pad" but it's made of hard rubber and they might as well have made it out of steel.

Anyone who theorizes that the rifle shouldn't kick very hard should actually try shooting one. It's not all that horribly painful, but it isn't all that comfortable either and it's that funky buttplate that makes the difference. It's like the difference between a hundred standing on your chest in hiking boot and the same 100 pound woman standing on your chest is stiletto Heels.

On 12/26/2018 at 12:59 AM, Borg warner said:

Yes, but the Jungle carbine has a torture device fort a recoil pad which transfers the recoil to a very small area. As a concession to comfort the added a tiny "recoil pad" but it's made of hard rubber and they might as well have made it out of steel.

Yes.. very correct...  get that small rubber pad combined with a loose summer t-shirt combined with through the years and the rubber hardens.  It has risen up and got my jaw....  Some of that because the delay in the old cordite rounds  would make me relax on my grip somewhat.

Dave..

On 12/27/2018 at 5:12 PM, Borg warner said:

All that's needed is one of these. Get the magnum pad. Wear it under your shirt and no one will know that you're ch3eating.

past9.jpg

Will do....  I wish someone made a repo. rubber pad for the rifle, perhaps that might help..  I have got to look.. 

I have Lee Enfields,  but the Jungle Carbine is a different animal when I shoot it.

Dave..