We need a dog thread

itisbruno

25 minutes ago, itisbruno said:

I had to kill 'lil man a couple weeks ago, spinal stenosis got him, he couldn't walk anymore.

Someone cheer this thread up with your dogs!

Please accept my condolences.  I know what you're going through.  I had to put my previous greyhound to sleep about 7 years ago.  I still mourn.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Pax said:

5b385e56a8743_PaxDesertDawgpoweroutage004.thumb.jpg.d803602626f36aae71eb9b53f9aa82a4.jpg

Pax 10-22-2008 to 04-27-2018 West German bred GSD K-9 111lbs, we shared some history together and he was my partner...RIP my friend

Look at the size of that square head on him.

Sounds like you gave him a great life.

• Like 3

I have a thing for Labrador Retrievers. My first Lab (Cynder) was a fantastic dog. My daughter grew up with and learned how to walk by holding on to her ears! She was with us for 14 1/2 years. Here is a photo of our new baby, Miss Libby Lou. She will turn 3 later this year and we can't imagine there being a better dog for us. This is her wearing her new "Pack Mule" setup we got her for a recent trip to the mountains of North Carolina. She loves wearing it.... I swear she thinks she is human and wearing a vest makes her feel like she is wearing clothes like we do. 

5b386047bcb48_LibbyLouMulePackWeb.jpg.e9d16a4ce5d84f6c4f639bf7896c4160.jpg

• Like 12

My last buddy, didn't get to keep him but kept the house, the car and my tools. Not a GSD but he was a cool buddy.

Pufferlaydown.JPG.4ff254f1c4760118e74bb2091b640fb8.JPG

pufferinwindhead.thumb.jpg.dbfaed93d96ee34b62e37aa4e32eeb0f.jpg

Really need another battle buddy but can't swing the cost. A good GSD is so much money

Oh and my condolences itisbruno, losing your buddy is painful and I really hope you get another so he can experience the love Miky received. I am sure he would approve

Edited by Duc748s
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, itisbruno said:

That is a beautiful dog and a cool rig. I make my current working dog hump his own gear on hikes.

Yes Sir, that was the idea. Water bottle on one side, collapsible bowls, food and treats on the other. Funny thing, the pouches stick out a little and it took her some time to adapt to the extra width. The first time she tried to go through the door one of the hit and it startled her. It didn't take her long to get used to it though.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Duc748s said:

Really need another battle buddy but can't swing the cost. A good GSD is so much money

If you are not going to work it, there are lots of GSD rescues out there. 

We have a rescue that has been a great family pet ... she is ageing too.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, itisbruno said:

If you are not going to work it, there are lots of GSD rescues out there. 

We have a rescue that has been a great family pet ... she is ageing too.

Nah The only work it needs to do is eat unexpected late night guests LOL

I tried looking into adopting mil working dogs that retired or washed out in Lackland (I think, since I have been around them and was looking at transferring over to K-9 before I got hurt. Had a really good 1st Sgt) but other than that I don't know any rescues that are reputable around here never mind GSD rescues. Trying to adopt locally is a criminal scam, it cost about the same to go to a breeder and I don't have to worry about bad habits

My doc at the VA keeps telling me I should get one. It would give me a companion being that I am by myself and I have more than enough house for him/her and a decent backyard (for NJ). Just needs to go for rides in the truck, go to the woods/range and PA where my parents live. They have some nice property but has to get along with my "brother" (parents dog).

• Like 3

10 hours ago, itisbruno said:

Look at the size of that square head on him.

Sounds like you gave him a great life.

He was huge, very athletic, good tracker and there were times when all we had to do was look at each other. He loved to go shooting, acted like a pup jumping up and down. We shared about 14,000 rounds together, including automatic weapons fire, but I always sheltered his ears from the blast of 5.56 and the magnums.

FWIW, AKC has lowered the life expectancy of pure blood GSDs, it may be due to a relatively low gene pool...there are a LOT of GSDs who aren't making it to their 10th birthday...like Pax.

After Pax died, my wife and I took a short vacation, the house was so empty w/o him. We adopted two GSDs, a male and female, it's been great watching them become a pair. They've been with us nearly a month, it did not take long for the male to be named Joker. I'll introduce them in another post, they are now desert dawgs. :)

http://fedwellfarm.rescueme.org/#all1

Carrie Wright comes highly recommended as a great person who rescues dogs and gets them ready for adoption. :)                      

• Like 4