Anyone else cast their own bullets?

Boogieman

I stay away from melting and forming lead, out of health concerns. Lead exposure at the range is already high enough.

At some point I will get a CNC mill / cutter, and design and make my own copper projectiles in analogy to Lehigh's Xtreme Penetrator rounds. I'd really like to test different shapes in ballistics gel.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, willie-pete said:

Check in at the castboolits web site. I have bought from Rotometals, and used scrap lead and tin/lead solder from metals scrap dealers.

Most of my casting is from recycled lead from my home range.

Thanks

4 hours ago, crockett said:

I stay away from melting and forming lead, out of health concerns. Lead exposure at the range is already high enough.

At some point I will get a CNC mill / cutter, and design and make my own copper projectiles in analogy to Lehigh's Xtreme Penetrator rounds. I'd really like to test different shapes in ballistics gel.

Just keep the wind at your back and wear gloves and a filtered mask and it will be OK.  Three years ago I had a lead test and it was barely registerable.  That surprised me that it was way lower than normal.  But I either shoot outdoors or wear a mask in well ventilated indoor ranges.  And I wear latex gloves when handling lead.  And change clothes as soon as I get back from the range or finish casting/reloading.  No three headed babies for me.

But years ago in Atlanta I knew a gunsmith that worked out of a gun store/indoor range.  There was some sort of leak in the ventilation system and the range air was leaking into his shop.  His lead levels were dangerously high.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

Just keep the wind at your back and wear gloves and a filtered mask and it will be OK.  Three years ago I had a lead test and it was barely registerable.  That surprised me that it was way lower than normal.  But I either shoot outdoors or wear a mask in well ventilated indoor ranges.  And I wear latex gloves when handling lead.  And change clothes as soon as I get back from the range or finish casting/reloading.  No three headed babies for me.

But years ago in Atlanta I knew a gunsmith that worked out of a gun store/indoor range.  There was some sort of leak in the ventilation system and the range air was leaking into his shop.  His lead levels were dangerously high.

In your case and with your options it should be possible without any threat to your health. On my end though, the closest outdoor range is 35 minutes from here. Add traffic and its closer to 1 hour. I rarely go. While I have an indoor range just 8 minutes from my house with some good folks, that thing is old and the filtration / AC system isn't working at all. When I shoot for one hour, I come back spitting black mucous, even if I was the only one shooting. I also don't want to melt lead on my driveway with neighbors walking by every few minutes.

Just another reason why I'm looking for a 5+ acres pieces of land for my next and final house. Those lots are not easy to find around here, or they are way land inwards. And if I'm going to be that far away from my beloved beach I could also consider moving to TX or NV for a proper backyard range. Decisions, decisions, I hate'em.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crockett said:

In your case and with your options it should be possible without any threat to your health. On my end though, the closest outdoor range is 35 minutes from here. Add traffic and its closer to 1 hour. I rarely go. While I have an indoor range just 8 minutes from my house with some good folks, that thing is old and the filtration / AC system isn't working at all. When I shoot for one hour, I come back spitting black mucous, even if I was the only one shooting. I also don't want to melt lead on my driveway with neighbors walking by every few minutes.

Just another reason why I'm looking for a 5+ acres pieces of land for my next and final house. Those lots are not easy to find around here, or they are way land inwards. And if I'm going to be that far away from my beloved beach I could also consider moving to TX or NV for a proper backyard range. Decisions, decisions, I hate'em.

Have you considered a 3M Lead and Mold Removal Breather Mask.  I wear one at the indoor range or while casting/loading lead.

3m-full-face-respirators-masks-6297pa1-a-e1_1000.jpg

4 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

Have you considered a 3M Lead and Mold Removal Breather Mask.  I wear one at the indoor range or while casting/loading lead.

3m-full-face-respirators-masks-6297pa1-a-e1_1000.jpg

That's a neat idea, haven't thought about it yet. Does it distract from shooting and enjoying the hobby?

13 minutes ago, crockett said:

That's a neat idea, haven't thought about it yet. Does it distract from shooting and enjoying the hobby?

Well...no more than you might imagine hanging something from your face would do.  But it's better than...

• High blood pressure
  • Joint and muscle pain
  • Difficulties with memory or concentration
  • Headache
  • Abdominal pain
  • Mood disorders
  • Reduced sperm count and abnormal sperm
  • Miscarriage, stillbirth or premature birth in pregnant women
  • Haha 1

I've been very fortunate.  Perhaps four or more 5-gallon plastic buckets full of lead wheel weights.

And my own range at my own house where I suppose I can bermine my lead right back out of the ground and re-smelt it.

I even have a sand flea rake to sift thru the dirt mound!

Edited by nitesite
  • Like 1

When I was heavy into 3 gun I was usually casting once a week, and shooting my lead rounds 2-3 days a week. Not to mention smelting every few months.  

I wondered how this may have been effecting my health?  I had my doctor start checking my blood for Pb. He related and the lab results indicated that it was on the low side of the normal range.  I had my blood checked every 6 months for years with no different results.

I think shooting and casting lead isn’t a health risk if you use simple, common sense precautions. You know, like don’t stand over the lead pot in your sealed up basement and constantly lick your fingers and never wash your hands after a casting session!O.o

When I cast, it’s out I’m my garage with a window open by my pot and the garage / vehicle door open - open about 1/4 the way in the winter, all the way in the summer, spring and fall.  I wash my hands very well after casting and I don’t eat or drink while casting. Lead smelting is done outside. 

I’ve been powder coating my bullets for the past few years. I noted “hot” powders like Titegroup would burn the powder coating off the base of my bullets. During the “powder scare” of 2008-15ish I started using American Select. It was the only thing available as most regular pistol weren’t available.  It works great for powder coated bullets!  I can’t even tell the base of the bullet was from a fired projectile!  I just bought 8 lbs of Alliant Sport Pistol, which is allegedly formulated for  powder coating and is temperature stable.  I shoot in Pennsylvania, Key West and Raton, NM. The temperatures are from below zero to close to the gates of Hell!  :78:Temperature stable powder seems like a good concept to me!  

In regard to the OP’s question about locating lead, you’re right! It is getting harder to find!  Fortunately, in my small town I’m known as a “guy that will take lead”. That being said, I’m dangerously low right now. Luckily, when I’ve been low before, someone somewhere gives me a call. I’ve been thinking of contacting a local bullet caster and seeing if I can buy some unlubed, unsized bullets from him so I can powder coat them. 

Casting and shooting cast bullets is a great means to shoot more!

• Like 1

I use hard shot, plumber lead and 60/40 solder (45/45/10) for my alloy. It is soft for most peoples taste but no leading with velocities up to 1,900 ft/sec in my 06. I make my own gas checks and cast 3 different rifle bullets. Right now I am shooting 5000+ rifle rounds a year.  

Edited by jmax

• 2 months later...

Right now the lead I'm using started as a 400lb chunk from a sailboat keel that I bought for $240 a few years back.  Supposedly should be a couple % antimony, but unlikely to have any tin in it.

The 10mm bullets seems to cast and fill out pretty well, but I think I'll need to get some tin to properly fill out the Lee 230gr 30 cal mold.  I got some that are decent looking, but as it was my first casting session with this mold I wasn't expecting too much.

Then again, I don't actually shoot a whole lot, probably less than 1k a year, so it's more hobby than anything else so far.

• 2 months later...
On 6/27/2018 at 3:57 PM, Boogieman said:

What metal are you using?  With lead/alloy wheel weighs a thing of the past what are the options?

I use straight WW with a little 95-5 solder to smooth out the pour.

The days of wax lubes and tumble lubes are over.

Coating you cast bullets is the way to go.  Some use powder coat, I use HI-TEK coating (liquid) from Bayou Bullets.

Coat-em, bake-em, size-em, shoot-em.  No messy lubes, no smoke, and no leading of the barrel.

http://www.bayoubullets.net/hi-tek-heat-set-super-coat-bullet-coating-call-donnie-at-225-324-4501/

The whole lead contamination thing from casting is overblown.

My dad is a subcontractor for a major cast bullet supplier and casts around 30k bullets a year.  He got tired of it and offered me $.10 a bullet to cast for him.  I did for about three months and did around 5k bullets.

I also do some of my own casting at my home.

My dad had his lead levels checked and they are normal.  I had mine checked and they are normal.

The people who are most susceptible are the ones who shoot a lot in indoor ranges.  The lead from primer strikes is the main culprit for lead contamination.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PNWguy said:

The whole lead contamination thing from casting is overblown.

My dad is a subcontractor for a major cast bullet supplier and casts around 30k bullets a year.  He got tired of it and offered me $.10 a bullet to cast for him.  I did for about three months and did around 5k bullets.

I also do some of my own casting at my home.

My dad had his lead levels checked and they are normal.  I had mine checked and they are normal.

The people who are most susceptible are the ones who shoot a lot in indoor ranges.  The lead from primer strikes is the main culprit for lead contamination.

Prezatly.

Like I said Lead does not vaporize until temps are well above casting temps, no need to worry about inhaling lead fumes where none exist.

As for solid lead being an issue, if it were, then just about every person in America that live in cities built many years ago would be totals infected with lead. 

Every water line under my city is made of pure lead, Lead pipe has been supply water through American cities for generations, still does.  There is zero chance that a lead pipe will transfer toxic lead to the water, zero.

Lead is NOT water soluble 

Edited by steve4102
  • Like 1

Its tempting because I load lot of .38spl, and I know that I could make some decent projectiles in that caliber for dirt cheap. 

But im trying to avoid it if I can. 

Years ago I was doing the BASS club and tournament fishing thing. The hot “secret” weapon was the shakey head jig. Store bought jig heads were a $1.50+, but I poured my own for about 13 cents each including the cost of the hook. 

Sounds good, buts it’s a tedious process and I really did not enjoy it. 

Right now I’ve convinced myself that I am satisfied loading 38 for ~17 cents a round vs the 40 or so cents a round for store bought ammo. 

Also, with the fishing weights the quality of the lead was not important.  I used wheel weights I obtained a local tire shop for free, or sometimes practically free  

Edited by Collim1

I stopped casting bullets many years ago when, after several problems, my Lyman 20# pot bit the dust.   I’ve thought about starting again mostly for a couple of molds I’ve got.   The problem is the cost of an RCBS 20# pot and I’d most likely buy lead from Rotometals as wheel weights are difficult to obtain around here.    I think I would try the polymer coating like Bayou bullets uses.  

Also back in the old days, before a certain politician invented the Internet, bullets were expensive for shooting PPC and IPSC.   Casting bullets then was a necessity.  

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.