Lucas "The Prince of Darkness"

DrB

Anyone else suffer through this?  I had a 1968 Triumph Bonneville. My girlfriend had a MG Midget same era. Enough said...  Now lets talk about the Amal carbs.  That's another story all together.  Fun times.

Dave..

2 hours ago, Clancy said:

A buddy  of mine had an old Triumph, he often referred to Lucas Electrics, The Prince Of Darkness. Gas leaked from the carbs, how it didn't catch fire was beyond me.

Ahh... the gas leaks from the carbs...  The twin Amal carbs leaking on the bike. This brings back memories.....

Dave..

39 minutes ago, DrB said:

Your Lucky...  But does it leak oil?  My bike did.... 

Dave...

I used to ride with a guy who had a '61 Panhead. I swear every time he stopped Exxon would be there, looking to drill where he parked. I remember going into Harley dealerships in the 70's and every bike in the showroom would have a baking sheet under it to catch the oil. damn, I miss those days.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Clancy said:

I used to ride with a guy who had a '61 Panhead. I swear every time he stopped Exxon would be there, looking to drill where he parked. I remember going into Harley dealerships in the 70's and every bike in the showroom would have a baking sheet under it to catch the oil. damn, I miss those days.

Yes, I miss my bike. Would love to have it back.  There were places I was forbidden to park.  If I didn't see oil I wondered what might be wrong...:D

Saw a guy in the local store pull up with a MG awhile ago.  I ask him how much oil it leaked.  He just smiled and said we just call that "Controlled Seepage".  In my day I just said it just drips a drop or two...

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrB said:

Your Lucky...  But does it leak oil?  My bike did.... 

Dave...

A little.  Engine, transmission, differential all leave a few drips.   I don't have to add oil except at oil changes. 

We had a 1972 MGB - All the lights worked and it only left a few drips when parked.

You have to remember - these cars (and most cars of that era) were not intended to last....     So I don't understand someone complaining about a 40+ year old switch that failed in a car that was intended to last less than 10 years.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, misterfox said:

A little.  Engine, transmission, differential all leave a few drips.   I don't have to add oil except at oil changes. 

We had a 1972 MGB - All the lights worked and it only left a few drips when parked.

You have to remember - these cars (and most cars of that era) were not intended to last....     So I don't understand someone complaining about a 40+ year old switch that failed in a car that was intended to last less than 10 years.

Cool. If I could have the Midget or my Triumph back from the day I would love to have.  That vehicle/bike were relatively new in in 1968-1970 when we had so weren't old. We were young...  We had fun in those days.....  I would love to see your car....  :cheers:

Dave..

• Like 1

I had a 1974 Midget in the late 70s...  Street legal Go-Kart.  At freeway speed, to change lanes all I needed to do was lean hard.  Lots of fun!

I had a 67 Sunbeam Alpine as my daily driver in the early 70s.  I could lose a quart of oil in a hard fun 50 mile run.    A friend at the time had a couple Triumph spitfires,  they were quick and with independent rear suspension took curves like it was on rails.

The metallic 'purple' MG is our late 74...   The blue MG is the 72 - which was destroyed last year when some asshat ran a stopsign directly in front of us.

P8051259_cr.jpg

P8012017.JPG

• Like 1

Cool cars..  Thanks much.  Too bad about the 72.  That must have hurt to see that go...  Were any parts able to be saved?  Many, many years ago my uncle had a black Triumph TR3.  I'm guessing around 1960, it was new.  I was just a boy.  Dad stored the car one winter in the barn on the farm.  I wanted that car so bad....

Again, nice cars.. Thanks for the pictures..  Dave..

• Like 1

I tell my son what life was like during the 70's. He will never have as much fun as we had. No camera's recording your every move, people who post the dumbest **** imaginable on social media, for all the world to see. Big Brother watching your every move, cell phones that once were a form of communication that now track your every move. The assumption and acceptance that everything you do once you leave your home is property of the public domain. If I could only set back the hands of time...

22 minutes ago, Clancy said:

I tell my son what life was like during the 70's. He will never have as much fun as we had. No camera's recording your every move, people who post the dumbest **** imaginable on social media, for all the world to see. Big Brother watching your every move, cell phones that once were a form of communication that now track your every move. The assumption and acceptance that everything you do once you leave your home is property of the public domain. If I could only set back the hands of time...

I have on occasion said the same thing to my son.  I honestly wish he could have experienced 25 cent gas, no penalty on insurance for  kids, the money actually went farther, nights were filled with fun not threats. Guns were for everybody and not just for "killers".  School teachers taught school.  Sex education was up to the individual not the teachers.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Some cars were lemons. all British cars were Limes. My dad wanted a compact car back in 1961 so he bought a brand new Hillman Minx. A year later he started having problems with it.  My brother bought an AJS 500 cc single in 1967, just a frame and a couple of milk crates full of parts. He managed to get it running and keep it running but it was a constant struggle. The AJS was similar to the Matchless motorcycle. They were like Dodge and Plymouth.

That same year I had a girlfriend who had a 1965 British Ford Cortina which was a fun car to drive but it had problems even though it was just a couple of years old, and my younger brother had an Austin Healy 3000, also a fun car but a pain in the arse to keep running. I never had any British machinery  but I had a couple of VW bugs which I thought of as "Hitler's Revenge".

Then the Japanese started making cars and showed the world how it was done. The first Honda was an amazing little car with a motorcycle engine. I always wanted to build one with a Kawasaki ninja engine and paint a rising sun on the roof just like the mini-coopers with the Union Jack on the roof.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 2