Lucas "The Prince of Darkness"

DrB

1 hour ago, Clancy said:

Ah, yes, Lucas Electrics, the Prince of Darkness. You guys are taking me waaaaaay back.

Been there with a girlfriend who had a MG Midget and I had a Triumph Bonneville motorcycle...  Those were the days or not...

Both of these had so called  "Controlled Oil Seepage".  Said to keep the bearings and such fresh according to the dealers.

Dave..

Edited by DrB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had a 1960 Cooper that used the left rear tail light as the ignition ballast. Loose the light it just quit. Then when it rained the car would stall and quit. I had to re-wire the car and replace the tail light with a power resistor. Then it ran really well. I am convinced that the engine castings were porous and was a source of oil leaks but a really fun car. My wife had an 2003 Cooper S and now has a 2011 Cooper S and that car is her with no need to ever get another type of auto. 

My Norton 750 Commando also leaked oil but the wiring worked.

Edited by jmax
  • Like 2

The first thing we did for the AV8-B program was to replace the 6-volt Lucas electric system.

We replaced it with Archer Kit projects.

The kits were more advanced, much more reliable.

The British make awesome turbojet  engines, yet they have never been able to make electricity or hydraulic clutches work for them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, jmax said:

I had a 1960 Cooper that used the left rear tail light as the ignition ballast. Loose the light it just quit. Then when it rained the car would stall and quit. I had to re-wire the car and replace the tail light with a power resistor. Then it ran really well. I am convinced that the engine castings were porous and was a source of oil leaks but a really fun car. My wife had an 2003 Cooper S and now has a 2011 Cooper S and that car is her with no need to ever get another type of auto. 

My Norton 750 Commando also leaked oil but the wiring worked.

I remember that...  Loose a tail light bulb.  The car won't start....  Good old Lucas Engineering.

Remember the relay cans under the hood mounted upside down so when it rained they would eventually fill with water and shut everything down.

Dave......

Edited by DrB