Federal 9mm BPLE in a Glock 43

Valmet

Recently acquired a like-new Glock 43 from a friend. It's an earlier one (June 2015 mfg) and still has copper grease in the slide rails. I've ccw'd a Gen4 19 for years and carried Federal BPLE (115-gr+P+) in it and was a tad concerned about the recoil impulse of that load in a 43. Took it out this weekend and ran a few mags of the BPLE thru it and was pleasantly surprised. While not as easy to shoot as it is in a 19, I was able to hit what I was aiming at. 

I know it's a very dated load and the 9mm has come a long way since the late-80s, but I've long been a fan of it  

What loads do you guys like in your Glock 43s? 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Valmet said:

I've long been a fan of Remington Golden Saber as well. The Glock 21 in my nightstand is loaded to the gills with it. 

There is so much good ammunition today it really becomes a personal preference.   Not sure the Corbon is going to be any better than Federal, Speer,  Remington.  At some point shot placement is more important than any of it. If you don't hit it...it doesn't matter what super round you had.

• Like 1

That is a lot of punch for a small pistol. If you can manage it and follow up, then Choot It.

My first G19 was a jamomatic. It wouldn't shoot anything without massing up. A friend gave me a box of Hirtenberger (SP) +P+ 100 grain. The thing ran like a sewing machine. Now I have concluded the thing had a heavy guide rod spring and the PO, a LEO, was running the hot Federal. 1993(ish) time frame.

I never cared for the caliber, and still don't, so it was gone quickly and I got a G23 that I still carry every day. That was the only Glock that I have seen malfunction on any sort of a regular basis.

We have 2 9MM in the house. One is a G26, the other is a Ruger Security9 that is in the shop. I broke it pretty quickly. I need to follow up on that now that I think about it.

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 1

Federal 9BPLE is a proven classic, and will probably do fine if called upon.   That said,  we've learned a lot in the intervening decades.  For better all-around performance,  I choose Gold Dot 124+P or HST in 147 or 124+P.

Those should be easier on your G43 as well.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 9:50 PM, Historian said:

The only two rounds I carry in a 9mm are either 147 grain 9mm Gold Dot or Remington Golden Saber.

But hey, if you like your load and it works for you....that's fantastic.   That 115 grain load is wicked.

I use that in all my Glock 9mm's. Always have.  But, when I was carrying the G-19/17/26 that was issue ammo, so I am used to it.  For carry, after retirement, I prefer 10mm and .45 ACP, and even .460 Rowland.

6 minutes ago, Moshe said:

I use that in all my Glock 9mm's. Always have.  But, when I was carrying the G-19/17/26 that was issue ammo, so I am used to it.  For carry, after retirement, I prefer 10mm and .45 ACP, and even .460 Rowland.

Have to admit i prefer a .45 to just about anything.  But often find myself with a .357 while walking the dog. 10mm is a fantastic round.

We are lucky to live in a time when ammunition selection is great.  

25 minutes ago, Historian said:

Have to admit i prefer a .45 to just about anything.  But often find myself with a .357 while walking the dog. 10mm is a fantastic round.

We are lucky to live in a time when ammunition selection is great.  

I have a pile of all the above.  Logged, tagged, and put in ammo cans.  Though, I keep most loaded.  At least hot standby for the long arms.  I have to say, my two favorite .45's are my FNX Tactical, and my Springfield MC loaded operator 1911.  I have a Glock 21 as well.  I like to carry cocked and locked, which is how I carry my FN .45 tu-tone, subcompact and the FN tu-tone .40.  I have a thing for them due to the stainless slide and the cocked and locked feature too.

21 minutes ago, Moshe said:

I have a pile of all the above.  Logged, tagged, and put in ammo cans.  Though, I keep most loaded.  At least hot standby for the long arms.  I have to say, my two favorite .45's are my FNX Tactical, and my Springfield MC loaded operator 1911.  I have a Glock 21 as well.  I like to carry cocked and locked, which is how I carry my FN .45 tu-tone, subcompact and the FN tu-tone .40.  I have a thing for them due to the stainless slide and the cocked and locked feature too.

Yeah, that Springfield is just art.  Wonderful pistol.   My first duty pistol was a Springfield Armory 1911 A1.    Springfield has always made a decent pistol for the price.   The TRP was exceptional was well.   Always thought you had great taste in firearms. ?

15 minutes ago, Historian said:

Yeah, that Springfield is just art.  Wonderful pistol.   My first duty pistol was a Springfield Armory 1911 A1.    Springfield has always made a decent pistol for the price.   The TRP was exceptional was well.   Always thought you had great taste in firearms. ?

Ditto.  I know you do as well. :)

On 4/29/2020 at 10:50 AM, windowasher said:

Hornaday Critical Defense

Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain Plus+P. It's what the FBI chose as their duty round. And I like it because it shoots accurately in my guns and it doesn't feel like a plus+P round even in subcompacts. I also like the critical Duty 175 grain 40 caliber in my Glock 23 40 caliber. I6t's the most accurate round out of that gun.

The 9mm Federal +P+ BPLE may be old school but it has a proven record on the street. It's the only 115 grain 9mm load I would carry.

Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain Plus+P:

https://press.hornady.com/release/2018/04/26/hornady-awarded-fbi-9mmp-service-ammunition-contract/

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1