USNS Comfort arriving in NY Harbor

SC Tiger

USNS Comfort arriving in New York Harbor.

USNS Comfort is a converted supertanker that is just short of 900 feet long.  1000 patient capacity, 1200 medical personnel, 2 O2 plants, 80 ICU beds, 12 ORs........

She's an impressive ship.  The USNS Mercy - Comfort's sister ship - is in LA right now.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah but Madcow (the dude at CNN) said it wasn't coming. What's a guy to believe these days when someone we all trust and look up to tells us something else? I'm so disappointed. Send that dumb ship back to dry dock. It's not needed,...you know. ? CNN always tells "its" truths!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bish1309 said:

Yeah but Madcow (the dude at CNN) said it wasn't coming. What's a guy to believe these days when someone we all trust and look up to tells us something else? I'm so disappointed. Send that dumb ship back to dry dock. It's not needed,...you know. ? CNN always tells "its" truths!

A long time ago when i was a professional journalist we had a thing called accountability.  You were supposed to get it right and not speculate.

That's gone.

Back when Ernie Pyle was America's reporter...they actually cheered for our nation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

USNS Comfort is a converted supertanker that is just short of 900 feet long.  1000 patient capacity, 1200 medical personnel, 2 O2 plants, 80 ICU beds, 12 ORs........

She's an impressive ship.  The USNS Mercy - Comfort's sister ship - is in LA right now.

My Grand daughter's husband is a Master Chief on that ship.  His specialty is Logistics.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bish1309 said:

That ship got it's orders a while ago.  I have family serving on it.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

:goodpost:

11 hours ago, janice6 said:

That ship got it's orders a while ago.  I have family serving on it.

She was supposedly due for some major maintenance including an engine rebuild or something, but they said "screw that noise" and sent her up to NYC.

Can any other country float a 1000-bed hospital into an affected zone as quickly as we (the US) can?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2020 at 10:59 AM, Historian said:

A long time ago when i was a professional journalist we had a thing called accountability.  You were supposed to get it right and not speculate.

That's gone.

Back when Ernie Pyle was America's reporter...they actually cheered for our nation. 

I feel your pain.  I reported the facts and trusted the American people to draw their own conclusions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My family member dealing with logistics on the Comfort, said that when they got to Puerto Rico they were told to unload all their care provisions for the people into a government warehouse.

With no guarantee that these essential supplies would actually get to the people, the ship pulled out of port until given guarantees that the help they carried would reach the people directly.  The crew is dedicated people and their mission is to help as much as possible.

They will not tolerate Politics in the completion of their mission. 

We are lucky to have people like this ready and willing to serve the people without fanfare.  The fanfare is the politician's doing, not the ship's.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 7:15 AM, SC Tiger said:

How near identical are the two ships?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Historian said:

Did a little reading last night.  The captain of that ship is a medical doctor was well as serious sailor who once worked an advanced forward deployed medical team in Iraq.

Our navy has some amazing people serving our nation.

The Navy has always had remarkable people doing remarkable things.

As has the Army, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard.

But, they didn't get the benefit of 6 of janice and me.  :biggrin:

Here's to you, soldiers, sailors, airmen and guardsmen.

:patriot:

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2020 at 8:41 PM, janice6 said:

First, I don't know.  Second my SIL says it's a "sister ship" whether that is in design/class or a duplicate in capabilities?

"...Their training aboard Comfort, which is nearly identical to Mercy,...",  https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=16883

They were both built from San Clemente class oil tankers, though there are changes often done ship-to-ship.  Mercy is apparently a foot wider (106 ft vs 105) and a half-knot slower.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dric902 said:

So the protection for the crew is to take the people that have potential exposure to the virus on the ship and bus them into the city to isolate them from the crew...……..……….  The choice is who you inadvertently expose, the crew or the city.  No I don't have an answer!

• Like 1