Can you identify this fish ?

SilverRidge01

Caught recently in a retention canal, cannot find out what it is, even the conservation officer who took photos of it had no clue, Florida does produce some sci fi type wild life guess it's due to the jungle like conditions that exist ... Please let me know if you can ...thanks ...

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, Historian said:

Looks like a hybrid.  Any number of different small.fish that collectively are called brim or sunfish. Looks like female something with a little shell cracker for the dark stripes.

Just a guess.

And a good guess I may add when you said hybrid that was the key. 

Thank you 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SilverRidge01 said:

And a good guess I may add when you said hybrid that was the key. 

Thank you 

I have a thing about ultra light fishing gear and such fish.

No one told them they shoudn't fight like a fish many times bigger.

Loads of fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Historian said:

I have a thing about ultra light fishing gear and such fish.

No one told them they shoudn't fight like a fish many times bigger.

Loads of fun.

You sir have a very sound background on ultralight fishing, I enjoy catching panfish  as much as anyother I target, they like you say are fighting fish and pound for pound as good as any other, panfish are thin shaped by natures design and they seem to pull at right angles when caught making a very challenging fight, I enjoy catching them just as much as I did trout when I lived in the Mecca of trout fishing Oregon, here in south Florida you can tie into a Bluegill 3/4-1 pound ...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SilverRidge01 said:

You sir have a very sound background on ultralight fishing, I enjoy catching panfish  as much as anyother I target, they like you say are fighting fish and pound for pound as good as any other, panfish are thin shaped by natures design and they seem to pull at right angles when caught making a very challenging fight, I enjoy catching them just as much as I did trout when I lived in the Mecca of trout fishing Oregon, here in south Florida you can tie into a Bluegill 3/4-1 pound ...

Why thank you, sir.  I've admired your fishing gear and posts on the topic.  It's encouraging and makes me wish to be out there more.

And i agree with you totally:  I enjoy trout fishing very much.   But the common pan fish is a lot of fun as well.  And since the nearest trout is 200 miles away...it does well as a regular.

My lure of choice is a 1/32 ounce white Btl-Spin white with two tails and a red dot.

That thing is deadly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Historian said:

Why thank you, sir.  I've admired your fishing gear and posts on the topic.  It's encouraging and makes me wish to be out there more.

And i agree with you totally:  I enjoy trout fishing very much.   But the common pan fish is a lot of fun as well.  And since the nearest trout is 200 miles away...it does well as a regular.

My lure of choice is a 1/32 ounce white Btl-Spin white with two tails and a red dot.

That thing is deadly.

Like you I m a ultralight fisherman both spin and fly 75% of my rods are 6’0 or smaller lines 1-4 lb test ..great sport on tackle that small .. photos are tiny crank baits 1.5-2 inches very light, most I get directly from China they too are deadly on all panfish 

2440C0E3-CE2F-4AB2-AAE9-8999638B004C.jpeg

21CDA997-3793-4B1F-BA72-D20C9EC84600.jpeg

22AE671C-7658-4849-A3B0-FC23D4E51E1D.jpeg

Edited by SilverRidge01

Check out the size of this Bluegill Forida waters hold some big panfish .. no matter how much u think u know about a particular subject or hobby there is always information out there that will improve on what your trying to accomplish, was just watching the in- fishermen program and found out the above fish is a copper nose if you look closely you’ll see across the nose what looks like a copper strip therefore a copper nose name, it’s a sub species of the Bluegill ya live and learn every day on this earth and I thank the good lord for the privilege ...  

image.jpeg

Edited by SilverRidge01
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 11:28 AM, SilverRidge01 said:

Like you I m a ultralight fisherman both spin and fly 75% of my rods are 6’0 or smaller lines 1-4 lb test ..great sport on tackle that small .. photos are tiny crank baits 1.5-2 inches very light, most I get directly from China they too are deadly on all panfish

Wow.  This just got serious.  That fish you just posted is a big one too.   Lovely fish.    That guy has to be over a pound maybe a pound and a half.

Where do you get your lures?  That's a special selection for sure.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Historian said:

Wow.  This just got serious.  That fish you just posted is a big one too.   Lovely fish.    That guy has to be over a pound maybe a pound and a half.

That fish was at least a pound + thought I had a bass on the line the way it fought, and fly rod is an ultralight 6,0 3 weight a thrill catching that wonderful panfish ... I buy a lot of my spinning lures from FishUSA, good selection and prices but my go to is a site called Wlures.com, the largest selection, most different patterns and the pricing is unreal, in fact should have some in the mail today, they are a company in which the lures are made in China, I'll send photos of the selection I get today, I'll give you an example, a rapala UL lure goes for $7.95 in bass pro shops, the almost identical lures sells for $1.95 through Wlures I sound a salesman for them but I m just a satisfied customer telling my friends to take advantage of the savings ..

8 hours ago, Historian said:

Per our earlier conversation these lures cost me $23 if you went to BPS  Cabelas you have to pay at least $75+ beautiful detailed spin lures aren’t they ?   

5E471645-0C1C-450F-896E-687103313C30.jpeg

1F1912E5-C341-4B22-BB80-BBF0C9E77DE4.jpeg

20 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

The lures look god but do they fish like the name brand ones do?

Always interested in saving some money!

The action of those lures are as good or better than same or close to same marquee named lures I am very pleased with their performance ...always like to save fellow fishermen some bucks ....