What else you got?

ARP

This thought for this thread is the result of that video of the punk stealing the banner from the 85 yr old guy and then kicking and shoving him. Can't help it, it made me angry. I question what I would have done if I encountered that situation on a street. Would I stand by? Would I intervene? I sure as hell know my phone would not be out video capturing the event. I also know I would not be drawing a pistol for fisticuffs I was not part of. So what else do you got from a non lethal standpoint? Should you intervene, your chances of getting hurt rise substantially. You going to yell "now young man, you stop that right now, your mother and father would not approve of your actions."

In my younger days career wise, my chances of going unarmed hands on existed every day. I had some training that I sought out from a company named  Wetzel Martial Arts Systems. The owner's name was Roy Wetzel. Roy had a father named Willie. Willie learned a form of Indonesian soft style fighting, a form of Kung Fu. Willie had a studio, Roy mastered the art and then the Vietnam war happened and Roy went off to  war. Was injured in a mortar round explosion that shattered his hip. He recovered from the injury, started his business of teaching martial arts. There was a rivalry with his father over who was a more successful business owner, a better teacher. Willie was a bully and taught by intimidation(I am paraphrasing here based upon an article from someone who knew both Roy and Willie), Roy had more students in his school. I think I attended about 1.5 year of Roy's School. Back to the Roy and Willie story.....the rivalry came to a head, Roy did the taxes for the 2 schools, and one day he went to his fathers house with the tax return for his Dad to sign and there was a fight between the two. Not just an argument, a kung fu style fight to the death that involved swords, nunchukka, and improvised weapons. Roy ended up killing his father by strangling him with the chuks. Roy's Attorney had a look at the house the day after the fight, said it looked like a pig had been slaughtered in there. Roy was tried and acquitted of murder, the turning point of the trial was the Police Chief of the jurisdiction testified that he felt Roy acted in self defense. Roy Wetzel died about 15 years ago from a blood disorder that destroyed a heart valve. His brother Jim operates a school these days.

So what did I learn in school? The style focuses upon striking key sensory targets that stun or incapacitate an aggressor. Eyes, ears, nose, mouth, throat, solar plexis, groin, knees feet, shins. It also focuses upon joints and holds to control an aggressor and then counter attack or incapacitate. You mastered a variety of holds and hand strikes, kicks etc. A lot of work on strength and flexibility. Hands could be formed into a tiger paw used to strike an opponents ear, blowing out an eardrum, or form the hand to the shape of a spade to strike the solar plexis, and of course fists that lead with the first 2 knuckles. All the strikes blend together so they flow smoothly. The holds phase also involved defending against weapon attacks and disarming an attacker.  

I am thinking about getting a heavy bag off of Craigs list and tuning up/dustng off some of my old skills. We practice draw strokes with pistols, go the range when we can, some of us lift or do aerobics....I used those skills acquired many times during my career to help me subdue actors, they were low risk of being deadly, and could get me a chance to escape or ward off a non deadly type attack.

So what else you got?

I often have a cane.  It was sold as a "defensive" cane. (looks exactly like a regular cane,  but was handmade by a karate-guy out of a seriously nice chunk of wood.)

If I can break a 1"x2" with it, I figured it'd work on a forearm or neck/head.  I've used hockey sticks on knees before (not during a game) and I guess the cane would work there, too.

I've only used it once,  to poke a guy in the chest (a pretty solid shot) like it was a sword.  He was so drunk that he fell down.  Then I left.

• Like 2

Cane or Walker for long distances often a semi-auto and shitload of magazines.  When you a moving human victim sign, you carry.  The criminals prey on those they assumed less prepared or weaker than them, because after all they are the scum of the earth, they don't play by a set of rules.  Now, that I am retired, neither do I.  So, they get a surprise every once and awhile, when the infirmed guy with lots of white in his hair and face is still quick out of the holster with nothing was assumed to be there.  I like my holsters outside the waistband, just big enough clothing to conceal it.  Had one of those awhile back, looked like a perfect mark, until a Glock 21 produced itself faster than he knew what was going on.  He decided to live to rob and fight another day.  I like it when the BG, choose a mark that they think they can get, and it makes them think twice.  Or, you could just have a nice public shootout like there was about four years back.  BG had a XD .45, GG, had a Glock 21.  BG was spread out on the grass by the sidewalk dead as hell.  

• Like 1

Cane is an excellent tool for defense especially in gun free areas.  The cane can go everywhere due the disabilities act, airports, schools and so on.  A good hickory or oak cane can wallop the heck out just about anything. There are several videos on YouTube on cane defense, just a matter finding one worth while.

Funny story about air travel, caring my trusty cane the counter person insisted on me boarding first.  Said thank you sir and went ahead since you can't tell them the reason you have it. 

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 2

Dirt bags are such cowards. 2 tried to rob me when I was on crutches, but I recognized one by name (his poor dad is a LEO) and they ran. Know of an 85 year old woman who used a 5 D cell flashlight to seriously edumacate a turd that broke into her house at night.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pipedreams said:

Funny story about air travel, caring my trusty cane the counter person insisted on me boarding first.  Said thank you sir and went ahead since you can't tell them the reason you have it. 

I'm still usually surprised at how nice people are when I have the cane.  Some even treat me like a old doddering fool, even though I could skate circles around them.

• Like 2

Appreciate the replies, only thing I see wrong with the "implement" is should you lose it in the battle and it is then used against you. I have two of those tac pens. One has the spike end, the other has a DNA collector.